IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mitch Daniels could be the next President..., Of Purdue ;)
Southsider2k12
post Jun 19 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-reg...7b2d231462.html

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. | Purdue University representatives said its Board of Trustees will vote Thursday to select a new president for the school, but no one officially responded to a Tuesday report that Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is set to take the helm of the university.

According to WISH-TV of Indianapolis, several sources close to the proceedings said that the nominee who will be voted on Thursday is Daniels.

Daniels' office had no comment Tuesday afternoon, but according to WISH-TV, sources connected to Purdue and Daniels said the move was a done deal.

An announcement of Daniels joining Purdue would effectively take him out of speculation that he could be Mitt Romney's running mate on the Republican presidential ticket.

The new president will replace France Cordova, who is stepping down next month after leading the school for five years.

Purdue could appoint an interim president until the end of the year, when Daniels completes his second term as governor. Term limits prevented Daniels from seeking re-election as governor.

Purdue spokesman Chris Sigurdson declined Tuesday to discuss any possible candidates for the position.

The Purdue trustees are scheduled to meet Thursday on the West Lafayette campus to vote on the candidate picked by a search committee and introduce that person.

The university has about 75,000 students at its West Lafayette and regional campuses.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Jun 20 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 980

So Let me get this right, Gov Mitch Daniels has just recently reappointed 3 new trustees at Purdue. Now on thursday those same 3 newley appointed trustees are going to appove him to be the New President of that same University. What the H#LL? How is this not a conflict of interest? How is this not an abuse of public power? Talk about politics at its worst form. For all things that he has claimed to be to go out like this proves to me he is all about himself and not a true public servent as he claims to be.

I bet if any other state employee used their position as a government employee to obtain another job there would be serious ramifications from it... Good to be the King.... angry.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 21 2012, 06:43 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(backwoods @ Jun 21 2012, 12:05 AM) *

So Let me get this right, Gov Mitch Daniels has just recently reappointed 3 new trustees at Purdue. Now on thursday those same 3 newley appointed trustees are going to appove him to be the New President of that same University. What the H#LL? How is this not a conflict of interest? How is this not an abuse of public power? Talk about politics at its worst form. For all things that he has claimed to be to go out like this proves to me he is all about himself and not a true public servent as he claims to be.

I bet if any other state employee used their position as a government employee to obtain another job there would be serious ramifications from it... Good to be the King.... angry.gif

Well except Illinois...
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Jun 21 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jun 21 2012, 07:43 AM) *

Well except Illinois...

ohmy.gif

Your comment is funnier than most people would realize!

Gov. Daniels was always bashing Illinois and Northwest Indiana and how their politics was so corrupt... I guess its not a corrupt system, if it benefits your personally...

It will be funny if as the new President, he will complain that there is not enough $$$ for higher education since he as the Gov. cut alot of money from education... wow i could go on and on. He is making it easy.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 23 2012, 07:18 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Mitch is most likely going to sell Purdue off to a foreign consortium shortly after becoming University president.
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Jun 23 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jun 23 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Mitch is most likely going to sell Purdue off to a foreign consortium shortly after becoming University president.

No his first act will be to change the name of the "Student Union" to the "Right to Work Building"! Then he will sell off everything off! Layoff the professors and make all the classes an online coarse. ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 24 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #7

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/15315039...purdue-job.html

WEST LAFAYETTE — Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is meeting skeptics head-on as he educates himself about the challenges he’ll face as the next president of Purdue University.

Daniels is mid-way through a six-month transition from his role as governor to one of leading a land-grant university. He’s spending time on campus, reaching out to national higher education leaders and immersing himself in issues.

Daniels’ appointment June 21 was met with an outpouring of displeasure from many faculty, alumni and students, who questioned his qualifications and worried about how his cuts to education funding and reputation as a change agent would play out in his new role.

According to the Journal & Courier, Purdue received 340 emails between June 19 and June 25 in which anti-Daniels missives outnumbered pro-Daniels letters by a margin of nearly 8 to 1.

Daniels is using vacation days from his governor’s job to meet with faculty, staff and students. But he says the visits aren’t designed to win anyone over.

“It is much more about learning the job. But if there is one unanimous bit of input one gets from talking to people here, talking to people who have been at other universities, from reading, it is: The better the communication, the stronger the sense of common purpose is between the faculty, who are the core of the university, and whoever holds the job I’ll hold, the better,” Daniels said.

Daniels says he intends to continue the goals of predecessors in striving to make Purdue a pre-eminent university in research, learning, outreach and educational value.

But his reputation as a privatizer of services — such as the state’s welfare system and the Indiana Toll Road — and for cutting K-12 education funding have left many uneasy.

Alumni R. Thomas and Anne Schowe, of Santa Barbara, Calif., donated a house at 1341 Northwestern Ave. in West Lafayette to Purdue that is home of the Global Policy Research Institute, among other gifts.

Hours after word of Daniels’ appointment spread, Anne Schowe sent an email to university development officers announcing she would stop financial support except for previous pledges to the policy institute because of issues with Daniels, including his decision to sign a law cutting Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood of Indiana because it provides abortions.

“Our family has a long-term commitment to Purdue and love for Purdue,” she said. “Mr. Daniels’ tenure, now that it has come to pass, will be a short episode in the total history of a great university.”

Daniels says decisions he made as governor were appropriate for that job but shouldn’t be used to predict what he’ll bring to Purdue.

“First off, I respect them to have their opinions on what I did in my old job, my current job now,” Daniels said. “I hope they would stop and think that in my new assignment that we have exactly the same objectives: a greater Purdue that is affordable to all those students who can meet its standards. That is all I will be working on.”

Ebony Barrett-Kennedy, a clerk in the facility engineering department, attended a recent meeting with Daniels and was pleased that he seemed to be interested in learning about Purdue.

“I appreciate someone who can come in and say they don’t know something,” she said.

But she still worries that It won’t translate into action once Daniels takes over in January.

“He is still courting the job he was given,” she said.

Daniels said he does his “own homework” and has engaged in an intensive process to prepare for his new job.

He said he has reached out to about 50 education leaders, including David Boren, former governor of Oklahoma and now University of Oklahoma system president; Robert Gates, former president of Texas A&M, director of the Central Intelligence Agency and, most recently, former secretary of defense in the Barack Obama administration; and William Bowen, former Princeton University and Andrew W. Mellon Foundation president.

DePauw University President Brian Casey said he and Daniels spoke for 90 minutes about how the culture of a university differs from that of state government. He said Daniels took notes throughout.

“The first thing he is going to have to wrestle with is shared governance. That is an entirely different way that faculty governs,” Casey said. “One of the things you have to recognize right away — he is extremely intelligent. But the question is, can he radically manage something that is different than what he is used to.

“He is not coming in as an unknown character; he has so much notoriety. But now he is reintroducing himself to a new constituency.”

Purdue professor Melanie Shoffner said that notoriety may fade once Daniels is seen making an effort to understand Purdue’s colleges and helping them solve their issues.

“I think he has positioned himself in politics as someone who is a change agent, wants to alter the landscape,” she said. “So change is not a bad thing. I don’t think people here are opposed to change. They just don’t know what his change is.”

J. Paul Robinson, chairman of the University Senate, said many faculty were shocked by Daniels’ appointment because he did not come up through academic ranks as past presidents had. But he said he doesn’t want Daniels to be a clone of other presidents.

“I don’t want him to be shackled,” he said.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 26 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Gov. Mitch Daniels will be in La Porte for a ground breaking ceremony for an expansion of the Thomas Rose Industrial Park.
+Quote Post
diggler
post Oct 11 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 969

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 26 2012, 07:08 PM) *

Gov. Mitch Daniels will be in La Porte for a ground breaking ceremony for an expansion of the Thomas Rose Industrial Park.

A SPACE CENTER..... in Laporte of all places ?? ohmy.gif

https://vimeo.com/50299050

_
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 12 2012, 07:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10

Well, in their defense, there ARE a lot of Space Cadets living in this county....

laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
diggler
post Oct 12 2012, 08:04 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 969

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 12 2012, 08:10 AM) *

Well, in their defense, there ARE a lot of Space Cadets living in this county....laugh.gif

IPB Image

Yeah, tell me about it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:16 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com