Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=55364.82

Sanlo will close
Layoffs will begin as product lines are moved

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Seventy employees at Sanlo Inc. of Michigan City were notified Friday the company will permanently shut its doors in early 2010.

Until then, employees will be systematically laid off as product lines are moved to upstate New York and China.

The changes were confirmed Monday by The News-Dispatch.

"We made the announcement to employees on Friday that due to the unprecedented economic downturn and what we're seeing in Sanlo's end market, we made the decision to consolidate activity at the Michigan City facility to other Actuant facilities," said Karen Bauer, spokesperson for Actuant Corporation, the parent company of Sanlo.

The plant, located on Indiana 212, manufactures products such as wire rope and aircraft cable, vinyl and nylon coated cable and wire rope, and wire rope and cable fittings.

Bauer said that of the 70 positions at Sanlo, 50 are hourly and 20 are salary positions. Of the 20 salary positions, some are office positions. She wouldn't disclose hourly rates or salaries of the employees.

John Regetz, executive director of the Michigan City Economic Development Corporation, said he is disappointed to see Sanlo take its operations elsewhere.

"Of course we're saddened and it's discouraging when we have plants closing," Regetz said.

Regetz said the MCEDC visited the facility last September, after Actuant purchased the company from The Cortland Companies. Regetz said at the time, Actuant told him the facility would stay in Michigan City.

"But, the economy has obviously changed since that time," he said.

Regetz said he is already making preparations to market the facility once Sanlo moves out. He's also ready to collaborate with WorkOne in a program that will give those laid off an opportunity to maintain their skills and look for other places to employ those skills.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 24 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Apr 22 2009, 02:22 PM) *

What a sad blow to Michigan City. Anyone know how long Sanlo's been there? Seems like forever. How many people have been laid off in Michigan City since the econmy tanked? Is it noticable out in public? Like - are stores or restaurants more ghost town-ish? I tell ya - I hate reading this stuff.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Apr 24 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Tim, the original owners had Sanlo in Michigan City for 48 years. They sold the company in the begining of '05.

FYI, Sanlo is no longer on the west side of town like it was for years. They're located over on highway 212 now.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 24 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Apr 24 2009, 10:48 AM) *

Tim, the original owners had Sanlo in Michigan City for 48 years. They sold the company in the begining of '05.

FYI, Sanlo is no longer on the west side of town like it was for years. They're located over on highway 212 now.

Thanks. I don't really remember where it was - just remember the name being one of those MC business names.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 28 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

Yup. Like where was the great big milk bottle located? Can you remember?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 29 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 28 2009, 11:06 AM) *

Yup. Like where was the great big milk bottle located? Can you remember?

On Franklin? The Scholl's Dairy place?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 29 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #7

That's the one I'm thinking of--Kinda across from Magro's, right? If my memory is correct, after Scholl's moved out, LaRocco's put a carpet store in there but left the milk bottle up for a long time.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 29 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

They took it down? I thought it was still there.

I just saw it on google maps

I love the internet....

This post has been edited by Dave: Apr 29 2009, 10:05 AM
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 29 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #9

I don't know if it's down or not. Haven't been home for a while and when I was home last time, I don't think I even went down north Franklin.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 29 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(Tim @ Apr 24 2009, 02:32 AM) *

How many people have been laid off in Michigan City since the econmy tanked? Is it noticable out in public? Like - are stores or restaurants more ghost town-ish? I tell ya - I hate reading this stuff.

I haven't noticed a big downturn when I've gone to restaurants, etc. It's been surprisingly the same when I've gone out. But I have gotten a sharp uptick in questions about filing unemployment. We've also had more internet users, seemingly from people filing for unemployment and other aid online. I've seen lots of new faces checking out dvds/magazines/books from the library. I've heard from some people anecdotally that they've canceled their magazine subscriptions in favor of reading them at the library. I don't have any circulation figures in front of me, but the library business is booming, and a lot of it is from people being frugal and people needing job/school assistance.

edit and spam: The library offers free resume and application assistance; call 873-3044 to schedule an appointment. Sorry, I just can't seem to stop myself from adding that. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 29 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

I think that milk bottle is still there. I'll check tomorrow.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:20 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com