Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knapp Teachers Reassigned
eric.hanke
post May 13 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

18 out of 21 teachers at Knapp school got reassignment slips today.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 14 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Three questions...

#1, Any idea where they are sending the teachers?
#2, there are only 21 teachers there? Huh, I thought there were more.
#3, Did this same sort of thing happen last year with a bunch of teachers getting sent to other schools? Is there a problem with in school administration there?
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post May 14 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ May 14 2009, 08:38 AM) *
Three questions...

#3, Did this same sort of thing happen last year with a bunch of teachers getting sent to other schools? Is there a problem with in school administration there?

I just found this out yesterday and am checking into it.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Yokas
post May 14 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ May 14 2009, 08:42 AM) *

I just found this out yesterday and am checking into it.

16 teachers were reassigned at Knapp out of 24. I can't comment at this time.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post May 14 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Yokas @ May 14 2009, 02:49 PM) *

16 teachers were reassigned at Knapp out of 24. I can't comment at this time.

Eric, I stand corrected. At Knapp, with the specials, 19 out of 24 teachers have been transferred.
+Quote Post
veryirishme
post May 14 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 843

#1They are being sent everywhere in the district.
#3 This has never happened before.

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ May 14 2009, 08:38 AM) *

Three questions...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 15 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(veryirishme @ May 14 2009, 08:47 PM) *

#1They are being sent everywhere in the district.
#3 This has never happened before.

Interesting. thanks for the info. I am very interested to hear from someone involved who can talk about the situation in a little more detail. It would make sense if we were talking about rebalancing the new schools, but in the absence of that, it sounds like another power grab to me.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 15 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

#4 Why were only the Knapp teachers reassigned--is there something going on at Knapp we should know about?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
southyards
post May 15 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ May 15 2009, 07:58 AM) *

Interesting. thanks for the info. I am very interested to hear from someone involved who can talk about the situation in a little more detail. It would make sense if we were talking about rebalancing the new schools, but in the absence of that, it sounds like another power grab to me.

At Coolspring School, several teachers were reassigned (5 of them, I think). At least one will be going to Niemann School.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post May 15 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

It is my understanding that federal law supercedes the negotiated contract (although there is some controversy over that). Because NCLB is a federal law, the involuntary transfer language in our contract could not be followed (although there is some controversy over that).
Knapp, Marsh, and Niemann are the 3 schools that are further along on not making AYP. Although there are options of what to do, Mr. Harding chose to move staff around. The union won the numbers game at Marsh and Niemann.
IMHO Knapp was targeted and affected the most b/c they have been strong in their union support. The principal wanted to move 10 teachers out of the building. The union leaders and Mr. Harding argued back and forth b/c the union remained adamant that union leaders (building and district) would not be moved. The union came up with a compromise and Mr. Harding rejected it. Instead he moved 19 teachers out of Knapp under the "guise" of NCLB. It is my belief that he had to cut that deeply in order to move out the MCEA leadership. This is a lose-lose for the kids, parents and faculty. I'm devastated.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post May 15 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Yokas @ May 15 2009, 03:35 PM) *

It is my understanding that federal law supercedes the negotiated contract (although there is some controversy over that). Because NCLB is a federal law, the involuntary transfer language in our contract could not be followed (although there is some controversy over that).
Knapp, Marsh, and Niemann are the 3 schools that are further along on not making AYP. Although there are options of what to do, Mr. Harding chose to move staff around. The union won the numbers game at Marsh and Niemann.
IMHO Knapp was targeted and affected the most b/c they have been strong in their union support. The principal wanted to move 10 teachers out of the building. The union leaders and Mr. Harding argued back and forth b/c the union remained adamant that union leaders (building and district) would not be moved. The union came up with a compromise and Mr. Harding rejected it. Instead he moved 19 teachers out of Knapp under the "guise" of NCLB. It is my belief that he had to cut that deeply in order to move out the MCEA leadership. This is a lose-lose for the kids, parents and faculty. I'm devastated.

Forgot to add--Niemann lost 4-5 teachers that requested a transfer. Marsh lost 3 teachers. With Knapp's 19, this means approximately 27 more teachers are going to be moved.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post May 15 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

This has "dirt" smeared all over it. What a shame!

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post May 15 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ May 15 2009, 05:03 PM) *

This has "dirt" smeared all over it. What a shame!

gee, lets give this guy $71,000,000 of our money to play builder with.
+Quote Post
veryirishme
post May 16 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #14

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 843

I believe that we should think about the kids. I know that these moves are a result of No Child Left Behind. Aren't we leaving all the children behind? How is it best for the kids to move all of their school family? How is it best to move all of their stability?

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ May 15 2009, 09:21 PM) *

gee, lets give this guy $71,000,000 of our money to play builder with.

+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post May 16 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(veryirishme @ May 16 2009, 09:42 AM) *

I believe that we should think about the kids. I know that these moves are a result of No Child Left Behind. Aren't we leaving all the children behind? How is it best for the kids to move all of their school family? How is it best to move all of their stability?

Well, the MCAS sytemhas already tried 15 years of bouncing kids from school to school and that did not help the education process. So why try stability when they can bounce the teachers?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 17 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #16

It sounds like they got evenly spread out around the school district while the same amount of teachers were taken from each school and forced to go to Knapp. If this is indeed a union busting exercise, I hope these teachers go their new schools and give the new adminstration's hell.
+Quote Post
lbl
post May 18 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 862

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ May 17 2009, 03:21 PM) *

It sounds like they got evenly spread out around the school district while the same amount of teachers were taken from each school and forced to go to Knapp. If this is indeed a union busting exercise, I hope these teachers go their new schools and give the new adminstration's hell.

From conversation with teachers this weekend, I understand the union president was aware of the changes and most building administrators were not. This could be hearsay, but the info. came from teachers. Whatever the reasons, the last thing the kids need is more strife between teachers and administrators.

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 19 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #18

Another story you read here first!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=82606.92

19 Knapp teachers moved
Administration points to No Child Left Behind, Public Law 221

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - At this point in the school year, teachers generally look forward to a summer break.

But many Knapp Elementary School teachers are already concerned about what will happen next fall.

A total of 19 classroom and special education teachers were notified this week they will be transferred to other schools in the district, effective next school year. Only five Knapp classroom teachers will remain, according to information from parents who contacted The News-Dispatch.

Darlene Nale has a first-grader and second-grader at Knapp. Nale regularly volunteers at the school and says she has close relationships with teachers. She's upset about the decision and the way it was handled.

"They were handed papers with information about what school they're being transferred to," Nale said. "It all happened behind teachers' backs, without anyone knowing. Some of them feel betrayed."

Nale said she was concerned that teachers found out about the transfers during the school day and had to return to their classrooms. Some were crying, she said, and their students wondered what was happening to their teachers.

Nale said Thursday parents had not been notified about the changes. She said several parents have tried, unsuccessfully, to make contact with someone in the administration of Michigan City Area Schools who can answer their questions.

Jim Kintzele, MCAS school board president, said he had received calls about the Knapp situation and was attempting to get more information from Dr. Carla Iacona, MCAS assistant superintendent.

The school board does not have to approve the administrative action involving teachers.

Betsy Kohn, MCAS director of communications, released a joint statement Friday on behalf of Michael Harding, superintendent, and Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association.

The statement said, "This is a personnel issue addressing the requirements of federal and state school improvement legislation (No Child Left Behind and Public Law 221). There will be no further comments by the Michigan City Area Schools or the Michigan City Education Association."

The No Child Left Behind Act requires a certain percentage of public school students to meet performance levels, referred to as Adequate Yearly Progress. AYP must be achieved in overall performance and in various subgroups. The only elementary schools in the district that made AYP are Coolspring and Springfield.

Amy Chlebowski, parent of a Knapp first grader and fourth grader, heard about the transfers from her mother, who volunteers during the lunch period.

"It was out of the blue," Chlebowski said. "Nobody seemed to be aware of it."

She had a pre-scheduled conference Thursday with Toni Mitchell, Knapp's principal, and said she didn't have an opportunity to ask about the changes.

"It was real quiet," Chlebowski said. "There were not a whole lot of people saying a whole lot of things."

q

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 27 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #19

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=23545

Parents ask School Board to oversee Knapp transfers

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Members of the public called upon the Michigan City Area Schools board to get involved in the recent removal of 19 teachers from Knapp Elementary School and their reassignment to other schools within the system for the 2009-10 school year.

Bill Keen, 2503 Elston St., presented board president Jim Kintzele with 45 signatures of parents with students at Knapp who are asking the board to oversee the actions being taken at the school. Keen said the signatures were obtained during a three-hour canvassing of the neighborhood and he offered to produce more signatures if required.

Keen and his wife Debbie have a daughter in fourth grade at Knapp. He said they and other parents are questioning why they have not yet been officially notified by MCAS administrators about the changes in teacher assignments. Several parents said after the board meeting that they made repeated calls to Superintendent Michael Harding that had not been returned.

Kintzele pointed out that a fine line exists between what the school board can and can't do in regard to administrative decisions.

"We can make our feelings known," Kintzele said.

Board member Bill Greene said he had received "many calls" about the situation at Knapp and he called upon Harding to discuss the matter with the board.

"We'd like to dig into this a little bit further if Mr. Harding will bend a little and meet with us," Greene said.

LeeAnne Cahillane, a kindergarten teacher, read a statement on behalf of Knapp school teachers asking the board to "reverse this incredibly short-sighted decision." The letter referred to the more than 100 years of experience held by the 19 teachers, and said their loss would have a negative impact on the students, who will see few familiar faces next year.

"This is not only disruptive and disturbing to the Knapp School community, but it disrupts and disturbs all of the MCAS schools where they have to move their teachers to accommodate our 19 teachers," Cahillane read from the statement.

To date, the only public comment made by Harding was issued in a joint statement with Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, referring to the action as "a personnel issue addressing the requirements of federal and state school improvement legislation (No Child Left Behind and Public Law 221)." No other comment was given.

Knapp School, along with March and Niemann, failed to meet performance levels required by The No Child Left Behind Act. The performance levels are referred to as Adequate Yearly Progress. When a school does not meet AYP, the administration is required by Public Law 221 to develop an improvement plan. Members of the community must be included in making the plan, according to Keen, and parents must be notified about the restructuring.

"I've sent requests to Harding asking for the improvement plan for Knapp, Niemann and Marsh," Keen said, adding that he has received nothing back.

The Knapp teachers' letter said they are part of the solution, not the problem.

"Two other schools in the district also failed to make AYP this year. Neither of them was restructured to the same extent as Knapp School," the letter said.

After talking with Harding, Greene said that Knapp has been on probation for two years because of failing to reach AYP, and only one year remains to turn things around before the state takes over.

"It's got to change," Greene said. "He (Harding) brought a new principal (Toni Mitchell) in and she's supposed to turn things around. These teachers don't like to see the change and they're rebelling against her."

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 4 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #20

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=36119.3

Knapp students need their teachers
About five years ago when my older child was to begin his early education I thought long and hard if I should dare send him to Michigan City Area Schools. It did not take long for me to find comfort in sending him to public school. I knew I would be heavily involved in the happenings of the school and his daily work. I would become a face at the school.

I also was very comfortable knowing that he would attend the exact elementary school that I had, Knapp Elementary School - what an awesome school!

I recognized a handful a faces from the years I had attended and it brought comfort knowing "it was the same great school."

A few weeks back it was brought to my attention that we would be losing all but five of our teaching staff. Not just our fine teachers but paraprofessionals, social workers, etc.

I would like to know what educated individual decided that removing the entire family of Knapp teachers is a great idea? My children will be encouraged to accept the change, look for the best and move forward, but the children everyone tries so hard to reach out to, the ones whose parents think that elementary education is an extended form of day care, are the ones who will get lost and hurt the most by your decision.

For those children, our Knapp teachers are the constant adult, mentoring figures in their lives and you're robbing them of that constant. These teachers know and understand the families of our school.

Carolyn R. Newman

Michigan City
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:29 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com