IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michael Karpinski named Wolves football coach, Schreiber leaves City for Hammond
wayne
post May 16 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 998

Word from my sources at MCHS is that current football coach at MC will take a job in Hammond and the wolves are trying to hire the coach from Franklin who jwas fired down there. Dont know much about him but I guess he was in the school last week walking around. if this is true which I believe it is, how embarrasing is it for our coach to leave to go to aschool like that. Why wouldnt they go for someone who has a proven track record. from what i heard he has a worse record than the current coach, To addd salt to the wound I have heard the only respected coach in the school, the weight training coach (cant remeber his name, is leaving also and going to a school down by Indy. The entire athletic program is a joke. A shake up is needed in the worse way.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 17 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(wayne @ May 16 2011, 11:34 PM) *

Word from my sources at MCHS is that current football coach at MC will take a job in Hammond and the wolves are trying to hire the coach from Franklin who jwas fired down there. Dont know much about him but I guess he was in the school last week walking around. if this is true which I believe it is, how embarrasing is it for our coach to leave to go to aschool like that. Why wouldnt they go for someone who has a proven track record. from what i heard he has a worse record than the current coach, To addd salt to the wound I have heard the only respected coach in the school, the weight training coach (cant remeber his name, is leaving also and going to a school down by Indy. The entire athletic program is a joke. A shake up is needed in the worse way.
Maybe there will be an announcement made at tonight's school board meeting.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 17 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I'm trying to see what I can find out on this!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 17 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #4

FWIW at this point I am not really get a firm confirmation, but I am also not really getting any solid denial of this being in place. Stay tuned.

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ May 17 2011, 08:48 AM) *

Maybe there will be an announcement made at tonight's school board meeting.

The meeting isn't until next week.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post May 17 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 964

QUOTE(wayne @ May 16 2011, 11:34 PM) *

Coach from Franklin was RIF'd...isn't that a little different from being fired? He was also asked back.....also Coach Cates got a job in Martinsville....with the economy the way it is why would he turn down more money? You may believe that the Athletic Department is a joke but at least form your beliefs from actual facts.....
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 18 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #6

I did get it confirmed that nothing is on the agenda for the school board at this time regarding Schreiber, though that can change through Friday when the consent agenda is finalized.
+Quote Post
lbl
post May 18 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 862

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ May 17 2011, 02:57 PM) *

Coach from Franklin was RIF'd...isn't that a little different from being fired? He was also asked back.....also Coach Cates got a job in Martinsville....with the economy the way it is why would he turn down more money? You may believe that the Athletic Department is a joke but at least form your beliefs from actual facts.....

Kudos Grammy 515...too much impulsive mudslinging in MC...Cates was offered a GREAT job! Schrieber gets to work 5 minutes from his home, and the Franklin guy is a victim of a SERIOUS budget problem...I think some of you old timers will recognize the name when it comes up...

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 19 2011, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Here's the story on Franklin's ex-football coach Michael Karpinski

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/2011/05/05...anklin-central/

Franklin Central football coach Michael Karpinski had known for several weeks he would lose his teaching position if Franklin Township voters did not pass a school-funding referendum in Tuesday’s election.

They didn’t, with more than 60 percent of the vote going against it. Knowing he would be one of 81 teachers in the district out of a job at the end of the school year, Karpinski formally resigned his coaching position on Wednesday after compiling a 7-13 record in two seasons.

“Just having to come in and talk to the kids, and explain to them what is happening and why it’s happening, to me that’s the hardest part,” said Karpinski, who was an assistant at Franklin Central for eight years before taking over as head coach. “It really felt like all the air was let out of the building. Everybody was walking around not knowing what to say or what to do.”

Karpinski was the Flashes’ third head coach in three seasons when he took over for Brian Harbin, who left after just one year to become the head coach at Franklin Community. He inherited a program that didn’t have quite as much talent as most of the 5A programs in Marion County, but the Flashes were competitive in nearly every game. In 2009, they nearly upset eventual state champion Warren Central before losing 14-13 in a first-round sectional game. Last year, they scored a 20-17 victory over Bloomington North, which eventually advanced to the 5A semistate.

Karpinski said he’s unsure where he will be working next school year, but plans to remain in teaching and coaching. He turned down a head coaching position in his native Michigan when he accepted the Franklin Central job two years ago, but said he has no second thoughts.

“It wouldn’t trade my two years as being head coach here for anything,” he said. “I do not regret that one bit. It’s been a fantastic time.”
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 19 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Is Schreiber going to become the new coach at Hammond High or Hammond Clark? Both schools are looking for a new football coach.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 20 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ May 19 2011, 08:42 AM) *

Is Schreiber going to become the new coach at Hammond High or Hammond Clark? Both schools are looking for a new football coach.

I made an inquiry into the Hammond administration and they gave no reply.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 20 2011, 09:44 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Coach Karpinski sounds like a nice really guy who might be a good fit for the football programs 6th head coach since consolidation. Nice to see the Wolves next coach actually has some past ties and connections here at City. I'm assuming that it was his dad who was Elston's coach in the late '60s and had compiled a .700+ winning percentage prior to becoming the inaugural coach at Rogers when the schools were split up, even though that was a very long time ago, the old man sounded quite an impressive guy. His page on last seasons Indiana Football Digest says he graduated from Hastings (MI) High School in '87 so that puts him about at age 43 which probably means the guy was born here at St. Anthony's when his pops was leading those good 'ol Elston Red Devils to victory back in the heyday. Probably has a beautiful wife and a couple of youngsters, hopefully a couple Pop Warner aged of sons that can play in our program and enable them to run with the dynasty of national champions should him and his family decide to teach, coach and ACTUALLY LIVE HERE. Since Hastings is only about an hour and a half drive from Michigan City means him and his family can be closer to his hometown than he was down in Indy.

He's out of Hillsdale College in Southeastern Michigan which is a solid NCAA Division II program in the Great Lakes Conference that recruits northern Indiana talent quite heavily which could bode well for not only Michigan City but the rest of the Duneland Conference. Franklin Central's program has had tremendous success in the past, most prolifically in the 1980's winning four state championship including three 2A titles in a row from 1980 from 1982 and reached the semi-state for times in the late '80s. Nice facilities on the south side of Indy. Will be interesting to find out where he coached as an assistant prior to coming to Franklin Central and what position he played in high school and in college, seems like he's bounced around the heart of the Midwest quite a bit.

Also be interesting to find out what his schemes and coaching philosophies as far as the X's and O's regarding the game of football in terms of what type of product Wolves fans will expect see on Friday nights this fall. The magazine lists a 2010 returning o-line at Franklin Central as being just massive with smallest lineman weighing in at 240 lbs., he certainly won't inherit that luxary here. Sounds like he's quite a run orientated coach. His top running back rushed for 1,266 yards as a junior in 2009 but his starting quarterback only threw for a total of 716. There were two other returning running backs listed for the Flashes in '10 so with the huge o-line, non-passing QB and three running backs I'm painting a picture of a of wishbone formation.

Defensively he is undoubtedly going to be in complete dire straights at the very least coming in here into Michigan City and coaching against the unforgiving Duneland conference. Should be interesting to find out what he will inherit in terms of a coaching staff, at the very least Karpinski's motto for the Flashes which was "Start to finish", sounds a heck of a lot better than "Get 'em D, Get 'em D, Get 'em D..."
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post May 20 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

Coach Karpinski, the apparent father of Michael Karpinski, left MC Rogers after the 1972 season and took a position at Battle Creek Central if my memory serves me correctly. The dates and timeline seem to hold for Michael Karpinski being the son of Coach Karpinski from Elston & Rogers.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 20 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(lbl @ May 18 2011, 11:39 PM) *

Kudos Grammy 515...too much impulsive mudslinging in MC...Cates was offered a GREAT job! Schrieber gets to work 5 minutes from his home, and the Franklin guy is a victim of a SERIOUS budget problem...I think some of you old timers will recognize the name when it comes up...

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ May 20 2011, 11:12 AM) *

Coach Karpinski, the apparent father of Michael Karpinski, left MC Rogers after the 1972 season and took a position at Battle Creek Central if my memory serves me correctly. The dates and timeline seem to hold for Michael Karpinski being the son of Coach Karpinski from Elston & Rogers.

It also jives pretty well with this statement.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 21 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Michael Karpinski was an assistant coach at the University of Indianapolis (another good college) from 1994-2000 and was the linebackers coach at Franklin Central from 2001-2008 before becoming head coach at Franklin Central.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 22 2011, 09:14 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Mid-America Broadcasting has reported on their facebook page this morning that Eric Schreiber is the new head coach for the Hammond Wildcats. Best wishes to coach Schreiber at Hammond High.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 22 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...6b4944b99f.html

Hammond picks Schreiber as new football coach
StoryDiscussionHammond picks Schreiber as new football coach
By Steve Hanlon steve.hanlon@nwi.com, (219) 933-4198 nwitimes.com | Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:00 pm | No Comments Posted

Coach Eric Schreiber, 0-0 in first year at school and 41-40 in ninth year overall .
..Michigan City football coach Eric Schreiber has been offered the job at Hammond High and he has accepted the position, The Times has learned.

His hiring is pending approval at Monday night's school board meeting.

"Call me back on Monday," Hammond athletic director Larry Moore said.

Schreiber will replace Dedrick Dewalt, who was asked to resign after a 3-8 season last fall. Schreiber will be the Wildcats' fifth head football coach in the last seven years.

Schreiber graduated from Griffith in 1992, where he picked up Russ Radtke's ground oriented option attack. Schreiber was an assistant coach at Griffith from 1998 through 2000.

He was the head coach at Bishop Noll for three years before heading south to Greensburg.

In the middle of the 2008 football season Schreiber resigned with his team holding a 4-2 record. He moved home and joined Craig Buzea's staff at City.

After Buzea left for Homewood-Flossmoor, Schreiber took over the Wolves last year, struggling to a 1-9 campaign.

Schreiber is 42-49 in nine years as a head coach.

Attempts to reach Schreiber were unsuccessful.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 22 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #17

Well if the Karpinski stuff is true, hopefully that means we have a coach who is ready to put down roots here. I am about sick of being everyone's stepping stone.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 22 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ May 22 2011, 12:58 PM) *

Well if the Karpinski stuff is true, hopefully that means we have a coach who is ready to put down roots here. I am about sick of being everyone's stepping stone.
Amen brother, you're preachin' to the choir on that one. The instability that exists in the high school football team's head coaching position is very frustrating. Steppin' stone, Great tune by the Monkees.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 23 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ May 22 2011, 09:36 PM) *

Amen brother, you're preachin' to the choir on that one. The instability that exists in the high school football team's head coaching position is very frustrating. Steppin' stone, Great tune by the Monkees.

I'd love to hear an exit interview that actually expressed more of what the problem is exactly. There are a million different factors it could be, but there is just no stability up there, especially in the football program. The sad part is that it trickles down to the kids, and you can see that in the lack of numbers of kids who play football at the HS level.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 24 2011, 07:15 AM
Post #20

Keep in mind this is at least his 4 different position in 4 years.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...60abc494ab.html

Many high school football coaches have left Hammond for jobs in the tradition-rich Duneland Athletic Conference. That trend took a turn Monday night when Michigan City coach Eric Schreiber was confirmed by the School City of Hammond school board as the new coach at Hammond High.

This will be the fourth head coaching position for the 1992 Griffith grad.

"I'm really excited about this opportunity," said Schreiber, who is the Wildcats' fifth head coach in the last seven years. "I want to bring stability to the program. We've got to stress fundamentals, get the kids out and do what we need to let them see some success. I want to bring some excitement to the players, and we want to compete with Morton as soon as possible."

Schreiber is 42-49 in nine years as a head coach. He replaces Dedrick Dewalt, who was 3-8 in his only season in Hammond. Schreiber has been a head coach at Bishop Noll, Greensburg and Michigan City, where he was 1-9 last fall.

"There have been a lot of changes at Hammond in recent years, and I love what they're doing," Schreiber said. "Making academics and athletics important and bringing them together is a big part of what I want to do. I'm excited to be there, and I want to bring that excitement to the players and see where we can take this." !~ Steve Hanlon
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:30 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com