Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fortune House owner indicted from house fire, in 2006
Southsider2k12
post Aug 27 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I remember the stories about how they treated people and forced them to live and work at their restaurant. I hope they get the conviction and the maximum sentence. I haven't been back to their establishment of business since this incident, and I hope others would join me out of the respect of the families that have been destroyed here by this virtual slavery that was being enacted here.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=39809.61

3 arraigned in house fire case

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Three persons were arraigned Tuesday in federal court in South Bend on charges related to the death of four Mexican men in a Michigan City house fire three years ago.

Zhi Jian Jiang, who was the owner of Fortune House restaurant at 312 W. U.S. 20, owned the house at 2021 Buffalo St. where the four men died Aug. 13, 2006. Jiang employed them at the restaurant.

Jiang was arrested Aug. 6, along with Bing Jiang and Cheng Rong Dong, in California, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Indiana. They were released on bond on the condition they only travel between California and Indiana.

The three appeared Tuesday before Magistrate Christopher Nuechterlein, according to Mary Hatton, spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office.

• Zhi Jian Jiang is charged with eight counts involving concealment of illegal aliens, aiding in the transport of illegal aliens, aiding in the concealment of illegal aliens and mail fraud.

• Bing Jiang faces four counts on charges of aiding in the concealment of illegal aliens, aiding in the transport of illegal aliens and mail fraud.

• Cheng Rong Dong is charged with one count of aiding in the transport of illegal aliens.

They pleaded not guilty and a jury trial has been set for Nov. 3 in South Bend. No other details of the investigation or their arrests were available, nor were their ages and current addresses.

Deputy La Porte County Coroner Mark Huffman was at the scene of the fire and recalls finding a business card on one of the men.

"It was for a Chicago company that hires out illegal Chinese and Mexican workers to Chinese restaurants," Huffman said. He passed the card to a member of the Mexican consulate in Chicago, who was familiar with the company, he said.

The coroner's office had contacted the Mexican consulate for help in identifying one of the four Hispanic men killed in the house fire. Huffman said he has not spoken to anyone involved in the investigation since then.

A Mexican citizen who lived in the house and worked at the restaurant when the fire occurred said the residents were employed by an "agency" that recruited immigrants and shuttled them to work in Chinese restaurants. He said Fortune House employees worked up to 50 hours per week and were allowed to live in the house.

The house had been subdivided with plywood into 15 sleeping areas, according to Indiana State Fire Marshal Roger Johnson. His investigation determined the fire started on a back porch at about 3:30 a.m. and quickly spread through the house.

The men who died in the fire were Felipe Bustamante Salgoto, 31; Roberto Jiamez Melquiadez, 26;Metodio Reyes Aparicio, 23; and Azael Jiminez Martinez, 23.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Aug 27 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 330

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 27 2009, 01:02 PM) *

I remember the stories about how they treated people and forced them to live and work at their restaurant. I hope they get the conviction and the maximum sentence. I haven't been back to their establishment of business since this incident, and I hope others would join me out of the respect of the families that have been destroyed here by this virtual slavery that was being enacted here.

Glad to hear that I was not the only one boycotting Fortune House, Southsider! Too bad there were no local charges filed in connection with the deaths.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 27 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

I haven't eaten there since this happened either. Not that I've been around a whole lot, but when I was in town I refused. Instead I would go to that place by the old Wal-Mart or the one in the mall (which is not very good I must say--I am not impressed).

So, do the same people still run Fortune House or does it have new owners now?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 28 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #4

As far as I know, it is the same ownership. I have not seen anything in the last three years that would indicate it has changed. Besides if you want Chinese, save up and go to the Oriental Pearl.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 28 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #5

I have never been there but I will make it a point to try it. Thanks

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 28 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 28 2009, 04:59 PM) *

I have never been there but I will make it a point to try it. Thanks

It is more pricey, but it is AWESOME.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Aug 28 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 28 2009, 02:08 PM) *

As far as I know, it is the same ownership. I have not seen anything in the last three years that would indicate it has changed. Besides if you want Chinese, save up and go to the Oriental Pearl.

I haven't been to Fortune House since the fire, and don't plan on going back due to stuff stated above.

On the other hand, I've been to Oriental Pearl only once, and I'll say I can not recommend the crackling rice soup. If I go there again, what should I get?
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Aug 28 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 28 2009, 06:33 PM) *

I haven't been to Fortune House since the fire, and don't plan on going back due to stuff stated above.

On the other hand, I've been to Oriental Pearl only once, and I'll say I can not recommend the crackling rice soup. If I go there again, what should I get?

get me and we will dine together
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 28 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #9

I am a huge fan of both the tomato pepper chicken and beef. It is excellent. I love the egg drop soup, and the egg rolls are very solid.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 30 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Do they have sesame chicken? That's my favorite.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:57 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com