post Mar 18 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20.../17/news/n1.txt

Lungren arrested again, flees
By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

First Ward Michigan City Councilman Chuck Lungren has been arrested for drunk driving for the third time, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest after he failed to show up in court.

Prosecutors in Marshall County this week obtained a bench warrant for the arrest of

Lungren after he failed to appear at an initial hearing Tuesday for a drunk driving arrest made in Plymouth, Ind., March 5.

An official with Marshall County Superior Court 2 in Plymouth, which is about 45 miles southeast of Michigan City, said Friday that Lungren is charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated with prior OWI charges, registering a blood alcohol level greater than .08 percent with prior charges, driving left of center and having no or improperly operating taillights.

According to Plymouth Assistant Police Chief David Bacon, Lungren was arrested at 12:36 a.m. (EST) on March 5 on Memory Court, south of Berkeley Street in Plymouth, after a patrolman saw Lungren's vehicle cross the center line.

Lungren was scheduled to appear in court for his initial hearing Tuesday, but never showed up. A Superior Court 2 official said the felony bench warrant will remain in effect for five years, until March 13, 2012.

The drunk driving arrest is the third for Lungren in a little more than two years. He's currently awaiting a hearing in LaPorte County to revoke his probation because he allegedly showed up to court-mandated community service with alcohol in his system last year.

Lungren couldn't be reached on his cell phone, and a friend of Lungren's, who wished to remain anonymous, said the councilman had left the state for California in the wake of the arrest.

Lungren, who decided not to seek re-election to his seat in the May primary election, said last month that he intended to move to California after his term was up and live with his sister. He also said that he was virtually penniless and “didn't know what to do.”

Lungren missed the last scheduled City Council meeting, telling council President Willie Milsap that there had been a death in his family. The meeting was March 6, the day after Lungren's arrest.

Milsap said Friday he's “really disappointed” for Lungren's constituents and would be upset if Lungren had lied to him about the reason for missing last week's meeting.

“They'll probably have to go without service now, and that's not fair to them,” Milsap said of 1st Ward residents. “They voted him into office and they deserve his service. They shouldn't be denied that service.”

Milsap's 5th Ward borders Lungren's 1st Ward on the city's north side.

Councilman Joe Doyle, D-at large, said late Thursday he hadn't heard about Lungren's most recent arrest, but said the situation surrounding Lungren is “very sad.”

Lungren told The News-Dispatch in a jailhouse interview last year that he came from a family of alcoholics and that he suffered from a “sickness.”

“It's kind of sad,” said Doyle, who had become Lungren's occasional chauffeur after Lungren lost his driver's license, carting the councilman to meetings and around town. “I tried to help him but he just put himself in a bad position. It's really sad.”

Chief Deputy LaPorte County Prosecutor Atley Price said Friday if Lungren has fled the state, any punishment through LaPorte County would likely depend on any restriction that might have been placed on Lungren by county probation officers.

Price didn't know how often Lungren is required to report to his probation officer, but said if Lungren has few restrictions on travel, the only punishment would come if Lungren misses a court appearance. Even then, Price said, LaPorte County would not likely extradite Lungren back to the area.

“Our policy generally is, if it's a misdemeanor, we're not going to spend the taxpayer's money on extradition,” he said. “If it's a felony case, then we take it on a case-by-case basis.

“If this is his third OWI, then I think he's in danger of being placed in (habitual traffic violator) status, which would definitely change things.”

Marshall County officials wouldn't say if they planned to seek Lungren's extradition if he's arrested on another charge outside the state.

Lungren has had his fair share of trouble with the law during the past three years, having been arrested in June 2005 and again in February 2006 on separate drunk driving charges.

He also filed charges against his now ex-wife, Cindy, in 2004, claiming she hit him. The two were going through a divorce and had respective restraining orders against each other.

At that time, Cindy Lungren accused her estranged husband of “scaring her” over the telephone and at the house.

Lungren told The News-Dispatch earlier this year that a great deal of his issues stemmed from the divorce. His ex-wife moved out of state with the couple's son, which devastated him, he said.

If Lungren doesn't return to the City Council, the body would likely be forced to appoint a replacement by Democratic caucus, just as Democratic precinct committee people are doing for the 8th District State Senate seat left vacant by the death of Anita Bowser.

If his seat becomes officially vacant in time, a caucus could come shortly before the May 8, primary, for which Lungren didn't file. Democrats Lynne Kaser and Richard Murphy will face each other in the primary for the 1st Ward seat.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 19 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

sad case.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 20 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

Max, I agree that it is sad. It pains me that Chuck has taken such drastic measures. He really is a good guy, but when his wife left him and took their son, it devastated him. It was something that he just couldn't recover from. He loved Cindi and he loved his son with all of heart. Chuck and Neb were "best friends" and when Cindi took him away, Chuck died inside. I wish that he could've gotten the help he needed to prevent this tragedy and my heart goes out to all the people he has hurt. I will keep Chuck in my prayers in the hope that he will return to Michigan City and take responsibility for his actions.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 20 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Jeez, I hope Chuck didn't drive to California. biggrin.gif

While it's easy to poke fun, substance abuse/addiction is a horrible illness that can render the best of us idiots. I knew Chuck a long time ago - and I share Ang's hope that he seeks help.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 20 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I attended tonight's council meeting--Mr. Lungren is resigning from the Council effective immediately.
This should be interesting to see who replaces him for the duration of his term.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 21 2007, 05:11 AM
Post #6

It should be interesting to say the least. The eighth district has been facinating with all of the people in and out all over the place. A position like this could give someone a big leg up in the general election, because potentially it gives someone free face time in front of the City.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 21 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

While alcoholism has characteristics of disease, it really is not a Medical condition per se, but it generates medical conditions.

At any rate, Mr. Lundgren is a good-hearted man, as far as I have known him, and he does have contributions to make to his family and the city. Unfortunately, he cannot as long as he does not become and stay sober.

I hope he does get the help and support he needs to do so.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 21 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #8

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../21/news/n2.txt

Lungren resigns from City Council
By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

Embattled First Ward Michigan City Councilman Chuck Lungren, apparently on the run from the law since last week, resigned from the council this week according to a letter delivered, council members said, by Lungren's brother.

According to council vice president Ron Meer, the letter - turned in to the city controller's office - said, in short, “I hereby resign my position on the Michigan City Common Council, effective immediately.”

Lungren was arrested March 5 in Plymouth on his third drunk driving charge in just over two years. He missed his court date on March 13, Marshall County officials said, and is now wanted on a felony warrant for failure to appear in court.

A friend of Lungren's told The News-Dispatch last week that Lungren fled to California to live with a sister.

Council Attorney Jim Meyer said Tuesday copies of Lungren's letter are required to be given to the city clerk, the local election board and the county Democratic chairman.

Democratic precinct committee people from the First Ward will have to hold a caucus to pick a replacement for Lungren. The caucus could occur within weeks of the May primary election, for which Lungren chose not to file. He said last month he planned to move to California after his term expired.

Meer said the future of the First Ward seat is now out of the council's hands.

“Whether (precinct committee people) wait until after the primary, I don't know,” he said. “My guess is they'll see who wins the primary, then appoint that person.

“Who I really feel bad for are his constituents. There's no one championing their causes now.”

+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 21 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #9

I'm glad everyone here is mildly supportive of Chuck. He is getting ripped to shreds over at the ND Feedback. After the last time I threw my two-cents in over Chuck, I've decided to stay out of this time. But, it's nice that the people here are sympathetic and understanding.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 21 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Mar 21 2007, 11:04 AM) *

While alcoholism has characteristics of disease, it really is not a Medical condition per se, but it generates medical conditions.

At any rate, Mr. Lundgren is a good-hearted man, as far as I have known him, and he does have contributions to make to his family and the city. Unfortunately, he cannot as long as he does not become and stay sober.

I hope he does get the help and support he needs to do so.

Alcoholism not a disease? Wrong

Q. Is Alcoholism a Disease?
From National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

A. Yes. Alcoholism is a chronic, often progressive disease with symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as serious job or health problems. Like many other diseases, it has a generally predictable course, has recognized symptoms, and is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors that are being increasingly well defined. (See also Alcohol Alert No. 30: Diagnostic Criteria for Alcohol Abuse and Dependence.)

Please - get your facts straight.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 21 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

it is not pc to disagree with the alcoholism is a disease crowd. but i do. but it does not really matter in either case. the effects can be horrific, and alcoholics need help.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 21 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Mar 21 2007, 05:00 PM) *

it is not pc to disagree with the alcoholism is a disease crowd. but i do. but it does not really matter in either case. the effects can be horrific, and alcoholics need help.

There's nothing to agree or disagree about. Alcoholism is a disease. Period.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 22 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Nope.

Cool avatar.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 22 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 21 2007, 05:04 PM) *

I'm glad everyone here is mildly supportive of Chuck. He is getting ripped to shreds over at the ND Feedback. After the last time I threw my two-cents in over Chuck, I've decided to stay out of this time. But, it's nice that the people here are sympathetic and understanding.

As a new father, I can't help but feel for his situation. That being said, there aren't many dumber things that you can do than driving while intoxicated. You are literally putting yourself behind a one ton missle at that point. I do hope that he gets his life together and gets the help he needs.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 22 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I agree with the 'war' against drunk driving. I always told my kids that if they needed a ride because they had been drinking (against my expressed instructions, by the way) or whoever was driving was drunk, to call me and I would cheerfully get them home safely, and anyone they were with, too. Parents are too permissive about teen drinking, it seems, and many kids are loaded behind the wheel. God help them.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 22 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Max Main @ Mar 22 2007, 09:58 AM) *

I agree with the 'war' against drunk driving. I always told my kids that if they needed a ride because they had been drinking (against my expressed instructions, by the way) or whoever was driving was drunk, to call me and I would cheerfully get them home safely, and anyone they were with, too. Parents are too permissive about teen drinking, it seems, and many kids are loaded behind the wheel. God help them.

I agree with you Max--on this point--and I've told my teenage son the same thing. I am lucky that he does not drink though. There is a reason for that.
Alcoholism runs in my family (another characteristic of a Disease) and my son watched his grandma die from cirrhosis of the liver due to severe alcoholism. It was a very traumatic thing for us, but my son learned the dangers of drinking on the physical body. I've been able to avoid the disease and I pray my children will, too. But, it's not been easy for me. I've learned the best thing for me is to not drink at all, or only on special occasions. It takes a lot of willpower though, let me tell ya.
I do agree with Tim that alcoholism is a disease. It leaves genetic markers and can affect future generations. However, not all alcoholics have the predisposition for it. Some are created by their environment or society.
So, Max, why do you feel alcoholism is not a disease and what do you think it is?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 22 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

For one thing, there is no immune system response like there is to viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and so forth. If you do not imbibe, there is no 'illness.'
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 22 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Mar 22 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Nope.

Cool avatar.

Yep. Type "Is alcoholism a disease?" into Yahoo or Google and let us know what you find. It's a disease.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 22 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #19

the illness comes from the urge to drink, not wanting to drink and not being able to stop. Alcoholism is a disease that affects the psyche, but there is physical symptoms as well. Especially when the alcoholic doesn't "imbibe." Trust me. I'm not making this up. An alcoholic can become physically ill if they don't drink. Granted, it is mostly psychological, but the symptoms are there. You may joke and say, "Oh that feeling is a Hang-over." but I'm talking about when they haven't drank for a while. And there is medication that one can take to relieve the physical symptoms and help to get past the psychological symptoms. But the urge is ALWAYS there and it's a constant battle to fight it. It takes huge amounts of will power.
Webster says:
alcoholism
One entry found for alcoholism.

Main Entry: al·co·hol·ism
Pronunciation: 'al-k&-"ho-"li-z&m, -k&-h&-
Function: noun
1 : continued excessive or compulsive use of alcoholic drinks
2 a : poisoning by alcohol b : a chronic disorder marked by excessive and usually compulsive drinking of alcohol leading to psychological and physical dependence or addiction

And Britannica says (in part) http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9110089/alcoholism:

Alcoholism

Encyclopædia Britannica Article

Page 1 of 13

Excessive and repetitive drinking of alcoholic beverages to the extent that the drinker repeatedly is harmed or harms others. The harm may be physical or mental; it may also be social, legal, or economic. Because such use is usually considered to be compulsive and under markedly diminished voluntary control, alcoholism is considered by a majority of, but not all, clinicians as an addiction and a disease. ...

Now growing up in school we were taught that Mirriam-Webster and Encyclopedia Britannica were LAW. So, alcoholism IS a desease. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 23 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Alcoholism leads to physical illness, of course; no one can deny that. But you do not `catch' alcoholism even if you have the predisposition toward it. In neither citation is alcoholism defined as a disease; EB merely says that most not all clinicians call it that.

Merriam-Webster is the dictionary of choice; I agree with you there. Note that their def. does not say "disease."

I maintain that it is a pc conceit to call alcoholism a disease.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:58 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com