Southsider2k12
post Feb 11 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...59462582124.txt

Video store closing, leaving only 1 in town

Matt Field/The News-Dispatch Hollywood Video, 5172 Franklin St.
By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:18 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Like radio dramas and milkmen of the past, one more feature of American life seems to be entering the realm of the quaint: video stores.

Michigan City will lose Hollywood Video, 5172 Franklin St., in the next several weeks as the chain’s parent company closes stores amid seeking Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, leaving the city with just one rental store.

A woman who answered the phone at Hollywood Video here said the store will close in six to eight weeks, then forwarded calls to the store’s parent company, Movie Gallery Inc., for more information. Movie Gallery Inc. also owns the city’s other video store, Movie Gallery, 1621 S. Woodland Ave. A woman there who identified herself as the store manager said by phone the store would not be closing.

Other Movie Gallery stores will close as part of the parent company’s bankruptcy.

Options for watching movies have exploded, with video stores facing competition from vending-machine rentals, online video streaming and the expansive movie selection available on cable and satellite TV. With so many options, customers likely will move on once Hollywood Video closes.

Paula Capozziello, who was on her way out of the soon-to-be shuttered store Wednesday, said she rents movies every other week.

“I’ll go somewhere else to rent, or download on the Internet,” she said. “My kids download.”

A sign on Game Crazy, the video-game rental store next to Hollywood Video, says is closing as well. Game Crazy is owned by Movie Gallery Inc. A man answering the phone there said the actual closing date depends on how quickly they deplete their store stock. Asked whether he would be able to work in another Hollywood Video or Game Crazy store, he said, “That is still undecided.”

A fact sheet Movie Gallery posted on its Web site says 760 Movie Gallery, Hollywood Video and Game Crazy stores will close right away. Another 900 stores are making money and will remain open. A third group of stores may be kept open if the company manages to reduce costs, such as by getting reduced rent. The company plans to operate its business during the bankruptcy process and hopes to emerge smaller and profitable, according to the fact sheet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Feb 11 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

I went in there the other day looking for a widescreen copy of E.T. (which they didn't have). I was shocked. It was a Friday evening and I was the only person in there.

But hey, change is good. We love Redbox (but I want Bluray!), and now Blockbuster has put up their own kiosk at the Family Express at the corner of Coolspring and Franklin. On Demand through Comcast is still too pricey, but that will change as more competition comes into play in the online/streaming movie market.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 12 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Always sad when any of our fair city's businesses go under, but video rental stores are an outdated business model.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 17 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

What's up with those people who stand outside in the cold along Franklin St. dressed like the Statue of Liberty?
+Quote Post
mc46360
post Feb 17 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #5

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 971

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Feb 17 2010, 12:07 AM) *

What's up with those people who stand outside in the cold along Franklin St. dressed like the Statue of Liberty?

The are advertising for Liberty Tax Preparation office, I seen one out there one night at 1000pm?!?!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 17 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(mc46360 @ Feb 17 2010, 03:45 AM) *

The are advertising for Liberty Tax Preparation office, I seen one out there one night at 1000pm?!?!
I don't think that's quite what Patrick Henry bargained for when he said, "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:15 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com