> Burglary victim thanks police, discusses last week’s incident
Tim
post Jan 17 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2013/0...5b426900360.txt

POTTAWATTOMIE PARK — The retired Chicago Police officer who defended his Pottawattomie Park home from two burglars spoke out Wednesday to thank the Michigan City Police officers for their professional response and to talk about the aftermath of the shooting incident.

Edward Flynn, who lives in the 100 block of Pontiac Street, said he and his girlfriend were returning home in separate cars from Al’s Supermarket at about 8 p.m. Friday when his girlfriend entered the home through the front door and immediately left, saying there was someone inside the home.

Flynn said he told her to call 911 while he entered the home. “When something like this happens in your home, you are concerned about being physically attacked — I was concerned about her being physically attacked,” he said.

When the two suspects came out of hiding in the home, later identified as Ladell Hemsworth, 23, listed as homeless, and Marshaun A. Wright, 24, 119 Schofield Court, Flynn said he asked the two to stop repeatedly, but the suspects did not.

According to the police reports, Flynn shot the suspects with a .38 special revolver as the two suspects advanced towards him while he was pointing a firearm at them inside the home.

Flynn said the two were coming out of a dark area and “I wanted them to cooperate with my instructions, but they didn’t.”

Flynn said there were parts of the incident he did not want to go into, but that the ordeal was something both he and his girlfriend are continuing to recover from. “It is one thing if you do this when you are working (as a police officer) and another when it is in your own residence,” he said.

Flynn was particularly complimentary to the Michigan City Police Department, Chief Mark Swistek and Chief of Operations Tim Richardson, saying the response by the MCPD officers was tremendous and professional, “from the first guy to the last.”

“They were so professional in every aspect,” he said. “This comes from management. They were well disciplined and well coordinated. We appreciated their response and their support.”

Flynn said from the time the couple arrived home and called for assistance, through the entire ordeal, “they were outstanding in their response — professional in every way,” he said.

Flynn was a Chicago police officer for 38 years and has been retired for about six years, spending much of his retirement in Michigan City. He believes the burglary at his home was an “aberration,” as the only other incident he can recall is a car belonging to a relative being tampered with in the past.

Flynn said he worked with wonderful people in the Chicago Police Department and did come across bad people and bad situations while working in law enforcement - but he added he was well-led and felt the experience was a positive one.

As for the burglary and shooting incident here, Flynn could not comment on whether he was hoping to only incapacitate the burglars in the shooting. He did say, “If I could have hoped for something, I would hope that they would have never come into my home in the first place.”

Flynn said he and his girlfriend are working through the emotions of the incident and are upgrading the home’s security system.

In the meantime, they continue to work through the situation.

“We’ve had some good support,” he said, adding that the support from the police department and its leadership has been very important to the couple.

“Our home is a place of sanctuary. It’s our sanctuary. That’s what it’s supposed to be,” he said.
________________________________________________________________________________

I can't think of a better reason to say oh, hell yes. Maybe if these low-life scum would factor in getting shot as a possible outcome of their criminal behavior they'd reconsider. Someone like Mr. Flynn works all his life to enjoy his home only to have a couple of dirtbags too lazy to earn a living come in and try to take his things? They owe Mr. Flynn a word of thanks for allowing them to get out of this alive.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jan 18 2013, 05:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Tim @ Jan 17 2013, 10:44 PM) *

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2013/0...5b426900360.txt

POTTAWATTOMIE PARK — The retired Chicago Police officer who defended his Pottawattomie Park home from two burglars spoke out Wednesday to thank the Michigan City Police officers for their professional response and to talk about the aftermath of the shooting incident.

Edward Flynn, who lives in the 100 block of Pontiac Street, said he and his girlfriend were returning home in separate cars from Al’s Supermarket at about 8 p.m. Friday when his girlfriend entered the home through the front door and immediately left, saying there was someone inside the home.

Flynn said he told her to call 911 while he entered the home. “When something like this happens in your home, you are concerned about being physically attacked — I was concerned about her being physically attacked,” he said.

When the two suspects came out of hiding in the home, later identified as Ladell Hemsworth, 23, listed as homeless, and Marshaun A. Wright, 24, 119 Schofield Court, Flynn said he asked the two to stop repeatedly, but the suspects did not.

According to the police reports, Flynn shot the suspects with a .38 special revolver as the two suspects advanced towards him while he was pointing a firearm at them inside the home.

Flynn said the two were coming out of a dark area and “I wanted them to cooperate with my instructions, but they didn’t.”

Flynn said there were parts of the incident he did not want to go into, but that the ordeal was something both he and his girlfriend are continuing to recover from. “It is one thing if you do this when you are working (as a police officer) and another when it is in your own residence,” he said.

Flynn was particularly complimentary to the Michigan City Police Department, Chief Mark Swistek and Chief of Operations Tim Richardson, saying the response by the MCPD officers was tremendous and professional, “from the first guy to the last.”

“They were so professional in every aspect,” he said. “This comes from management. They were well disciplined and well coordinated. We appreciated their response and their support.”

Flynn said from the time the couple arrived home and called for assistance, through the entire ordeal, “they were outstanding in their response — professional in every way,” he said.

Flynn was a Chicago police officer for 38 years and has been retired for about six years, spending much of his retirement in Michigan City. He believes the burglary at his home was an “aberration,” as the only other incident he can recall is a car belonging to a relative being tampered with in the past.

Flynn said he worked with wonderful people in the Chicago Police Department and did come across bad people and bad situations while working in law enforcement - but he added he was well-led and felt the experience was a positive one.

As for the burglary and shooting incident here, Flynn could not comment on whether he was hoping to only incapacitate the burglars in the shooting. He did say, “If I could have hoped for something, I would hope that they would have never come into my home in the first place.”

Flynn said he and his girlfriend are working through the emotions of the incident and are upgrading the home’s security system.

In the meantime, they continue to work through the situation.

“We’ve had some good support,” he said, adding that the support from the police department and its leadership has been very important to the couple.

“Our home is a place of sanctuary. It’s our sanctuary. That’s what it’s supposed to be,” he said.
________________________________________________________________________________

I can't think of a better reason to say oh, hell yes. Maybe if these low-life scum would factor in getting shot as a possible outcome of their criminal behavior they'd reconsider. Someone like Mr. Flynn works all his life to enjoy his home only to have a couple of dirtbags too lazy to earn a living come in and try to take his things? They owe Mr. Flynn a word of thanks for allowing them to get out of this alive.

Where is the "Like" button?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 18 2013, 08:15 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hopefully this will give people a pause when they think about breaking into someone's house.
+Quote Post
Oscar Gurtgorter
post Jan 23 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 1,193

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jan 18 2013, 08:15 AM) *

Hopefully this will give people a pause when they think about breaking into someone's house.

The law of averages got these mongrels. They've confessed to previous burglaries including a relative's residence in Trail Creek. No doubt they will be back at it in less than 10 years. At least these mutts will have some cool scars to show off in the prison shower.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 23 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Oscar Gurtgorter @ Jan 23 2013, 11:38 AM) *

The law of averages got these mongrels. They've confessed to previous burglaries including a relative's residence in Trail Creek. No doubt they will be back at it in less than 10 years. At least these mutts will have some cool scars to show off in the prison shower.

And at least they'll find love in prison, though it may take some.... getting used to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:17 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com