Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Steak in MC?
Tim
post Jan 13 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

The Galveston thread got me thinking - about eating! As I'm usually on a tight travel budget when in MC I don't get out for steak. So who has the best steak in MC?

Opinions, please.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 13 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

OOh. Really good question. Off of the top of my head, I would have to say Galveston and Rodinis would be at the head of the class for me personally. I have been really spoiled by the various company dinners I have gotten over the years in Chicago, and their selection of 4 and 5 star steak joints. I don't get out for a steak very often at home. Usually if it is steak night, it is on my BBQ.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 13 2009, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

There are no steaks in MC that will compare to those like Chris' which is in Berrien Co. or classy joints in Chicago. I have had and enjoyed Steak Diane at Rodini, though I never feel that their food is actually freshly made on-site. Same with Galveston. Best steak? From the butchers at Jewel, on my grill.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jan 13 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 13 2009, 08:06 AM) *

There are no steaks in MC that will compare to those like Chris' which is in Berrien Co. or classy joints in Chicago. I have had and enjoyed Steak Diane at Rodini, though I never feel that their food is actually freshly made on-site. Same with Galveston. Best steak? From the butchers at Jewel, on my grill.

Are you kidding me? You must not have ever run into Larry when he's in the kitchen at Rodini's. I've also seen Kosta and other family members cooking at Galveston. They're one of the hardest wokring families in MC.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 13 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jan 13 2009, 08:09 AM) *

Are you kidding me? You must not have ever run into Larry when he's in the kitchen at Rodini's. I've also seen Kosta and other family members cooking at Galveston. They're one of the hardest wokring families in MC.

I agree 100%. They have all of the way out to the extended families working lots of the time. There is a very personal touch through out all of their places of business, IMO.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 13 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

The Steak Frites (Flat Iron Steak) at Bartlett's.

Best steak counter is East Side Produce and Meats on Highway 20.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 13 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jan 13 2009, 08:09 AM) *

I agree that I have not witnessed Larry in the kitchen. Do they use fresh ingredients? Also, I was not knocking the service or 'feel' at all. Furthermore, that family has been a credit to immigrants and MC. Oopah! I promise I will try them again, and I am open to suggestions; do they have Retsina wine?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 13 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 13 2009, 09:22 AM) *

do they have Retsina wine?

Is there a single Greek Resto with thier liquor license who doesn't have Retsina? lol

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 13 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #9

dunno--wouldn't think so. My stash is getting low.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 13 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #10

How's about we make this into a full pledged poll question? We'll start by taking nominations. So far Galveston, Rodini's and Barletts have been mentioned... I will also throw out Shore Line Brewery.

Any more?
+Quote Post
lbl
post Jan 13 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 862

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 13 2009, 02:15 PM) *

How's about we make this into a full pledged poll question? We'll start by taking nominations. So far Galveston, Rodini's and Barletts have been mentioned... I will also throw out Shore Line Brewery.

Any more?

1. Rodini
2. The Galveston

(Warning: I am biased)
I also know that all ingredients at Rodini and The Galveston are fresh. I have worked in both kitchens. Also, there is Retsina at Rodini, always.

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 13 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 13 2009, 03:15 PM) *

Any more?

Yes, I should have made this a poll - too lazy at the time! Grant pity. Do I need to start a new thread to make a poll?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 13 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Tim @ Jan 13 2009, 05:57 PM) *

Yes, I should have made this a poll - too lazy at the time! Grant pity. Do I need to start a new thread to make a poll?

I would say to wait a couple of days and see if there are any more nominees. Then we can do a poll.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jan 13 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 13 2009, 07:11 PM) *

I would say to wait a couple of days and see if there are any more nominees. Then we can do a poll.

I am willing to go all out for CBTL once again, I will give Roger and his back yard Jewel steak a taste . Followed up with a CBTL nomination if it is worthy.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jan 13 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jan 13 2009, 08:36 PM) *

I am willing to go all out for CBTL once again, I will give Roger and his back yard Jewel steak a taste . Followed up with a CBTL nomination if it is worthy.

You'd have to work out some system to keep his anonymity. Go to some remote location where you're blindfolded ahead of time or something. I've read a lot of spy books if you need some technical assistance with this wink.gif

Is this for non-chain steakhouses only? Otherwise I hear William B's has a pretty good steak. I don't have any personal experience with it or any of the others.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 13 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I might have to try the meat market on 20...I haven't got a good steak from the grocery store for quite awhile.

Does anyone buy meat from Lange's? I've stopped by - but they're alittle pricey for my wallet. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jan 13 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Homey @ Jan 13 2009, 09:19 PM) *

I might have to try the meat market on 20...I haven't got a good steak from the grocery store for quite awhile.

Does anyone buy meat from Lange's? I've stopped by - but they're alittle pricey for my wallet. smile.gif

You mean Eastside Produce? Always known for a great steak...or anything else for that matter.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 14 2009, 05:45 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jan 13 2009, 09:11 AM) *
]

Best steak counter is East Side Produce and Meats on Highway 20.

Mike is the guy to talk to over there.

I ordered a saddle of lamb once and they gave me the entire animal less the head and the front two legs, lol. I took it home and butchered it up and let me tell you, it was some of the best lamb I'd ever had.

Lange's is el rip off. All the paraphernalia and sawdust in the world can't hide the fact. I have stories but I'm not going to get in to them now. In short, East Side has the same meats (same supplier) but sells them at a fraction of the cost. When I say fraction, I'm talking about one where the number on top is smaller than the number on the bottom.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 14 2009, 08:06 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

thanks for the heads up smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 14 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jan 14 2009, 05:45 AM) *

Lange's is el rip off. All the paraphernalia and sawdust in the world can't hide the fact. I have stories but I'm not going to get in to them now. In short, East Side has the same meats (same supplier) but sells them at a fraction of the cost. When I say fraction, I'm talking about one where the number on top is smaller than the number on the bottom.

Amen, amen! I would also want you to know that East Side Produce and K & M are owned by the same folks, and K & M is closer. Check them out.

I have a great story about Lange, too, but in the interest of not mentioning how the roast I made for a giant family dinner turned out to be mostly fat, and how the doofus there tried to tell me that is what made the roast better, I will say nothing.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:28 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com