> City gets grant to study airport runways
Southsider2k12
post Aug 8 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-an...728425b99a.html

MICHIGAN CITY — Michigan City Municipal-Phillips Field Airport has received a $339,722 grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration.

The grant was announced by U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky, D-Merrillville.

The grant supports updates to the existing airport layout plan and an ongoing environmental study to evaluate any potential environmental impacts related to relocating U.S. 20 to improve the runway safety area.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
exsteel5
post Aug 21 2018, 07:14 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,466

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Aug 8 2018, 01:37 PM) *

This study is a waste of money. The article says they need an additional 1000 ft of runway and more air space on the approach. Michigan City already owns enough land on the east side of the airport to install the 1000 ft of additional runway and move the runway 500' away from US 20. It is a no brainer. If we start building a runway and a bridge, the maintenance costs go up exponentially and our tax dollars are wasted now and long term. I suspect someone in the "inner circle" owns the land west of the airport and they stand to make a lot of money on it selling it to the City and us taxpayers get stuck with the bill. I hope the City Council wakes up and sees this coming, but who knows they may get other perks if they stay on the current trajectory. No study is needed, just move the runway east and add 1000 feet of runway on the land we already own. So ignorant. I will go tell them that and only charge them for my time, we could save $339k.
+Quote Post
exsteel5
post Aug 21 2018, 07:15 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,466

QUOTE(exsteel5 @ Aug 21 2018, 07:14 AM) *

This study is a waste of money. The article says they need an additional 1000 ft of runway and more air space on the approach. Michigan City already owns enough land on the east side of the airport to install the 1000 ft of additional runway and move the runway 500' away from US 20. It is a no brainer. If we start building a runway and a bridge, the maintenance costs go up exponentially and our tax dollars are wasted now and long term. I suspect someone in the "inner circle" owns the land west of the airport and they stand to make a lot of money on it selling it to the City and us taxpayers get stuck with the bill. I hope the City Council wakes up and sees this coming, but who knows they may get other perks if they stay on the current trajectory. No study is needed, just move the runway east and add 1000 feet of runway on the land we already own. So ignorant. I will go tell them that and only charge them for my time, we could save $339k.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com