post Jun 28 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 756

Armed Hoosier held at Chicago event
Associated Press
Posted: June 28, 2009

CHICAGO — Chicago police say they arrested a 25-year-old Indiana man for allegedly carrying a loaded 9mm handgun into the Taste of Chicago.

Police say Shrome George of Michigan City, Ind., tried to enter a security checkpoint late Saturday.

He faces unlawful possession of a handgun, among other weapons charges, and is expected in bond court today.

A telephone listing for George couldn’t be located today and it was immediately unclear if he had an attorney.

The Taste of Chicago is an annual outdoor food event on Chicago’s lakefront.
Chicago police have amped up security at such events after a man was fatally shot and three others injured following a pre-Independence Day fireworks display last year.

A police spokesman says George’s arrest shows a “zero tolerance policy for criminal activity.”

Great...Another pillar of the community makes the news.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 28 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Carrying any gun in Chicago is a huge no-no, all though the NRA is fighting that law in court as we speak.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 28 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Great! Lock the s-head up. Any hay seed traveling from Chicken City, packing heat to THE TASTE OF CHICAGO of all things is doing nothing but looking for trouble. Shame on the mess. mad.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 30 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Fianceé: Arrest 'a big misunderstanding'
Shrome George, 25, arrested at Taste of Chicago

Dave Hawk
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - A Michigan City man arrested Saturday for carrying a gun at Taste of Chicago had a permit to carry the gun and was there on an outing with his girlfriend and three children, not to cause trouble.

"I feel like it was a big misunderstanding," Tiffany Ward of Michigan City said Monday while trying to figure out how to get her fiancé, Shrome George, 25, out of jail.

She said he was slammed to the ground after admitting he had a gun, then taken to jail Saturday night. He was ordered held on $75,000 bond on the gun charge in court on Sunday. A police spokesman said George's arrest shows a "zero tolerance policy for criminal activity."

His Indiana gun permit isn't valid in Illinois, Ward said she found out.

"He works, he takes care of his family, he has no criminal history," Ward said Monday while tearfully explaining that he didn't realize he would get into trouble carrying the loaded 9 mm handgun into the food festival at Grant Park around 3 p.m. They had taken the South Shore from the Carroll Avenue station to Chicago. No one checked him for a gun when he entered, said Ward, 20.

"We just walked in with the stroller," Ward said, adding their visit to Taste of Chicago was a family outing, and the first time at the Taste for him. Later, around 7 or 7:30 p.m., after a side excursion to Navy Pier, they took a bus back to Grant Park to get back on the South Shore. They stopped to ask a security guard directions to the train, Ward said, and were told which direction to walk.

About five or 10 seconds later the guard came after them and said they were going the wrong way and told them to come back toward the Taste of Chicago entrance, where security turned him over to Chicago police.

That's when they asked if he had a gun. He said, "I have my gun on my hip," she said, but tried to explain that he had a permit. They took the gun away and "slammed him to the ground," Ward said.

When she tried to ask if she could get his keys or wallet, she said, an officer told her "Shut the F up and get back," Ward said. She said her fiance never resisted or tried to be forceful.

She objected to some news reports she heard that they were entering Taste of Chicago or "sneaking past the checkpoint," saying they already had been there and looking for the train to return to Michigan City. "He was directed back into the Taste after they knew he had a gun," Ward said.

She said he had the gun with its safety on in a holster. Asked why he carried a gun, she explained that, "He carries a gun everywhere." Her mother, Trina Biggers of Michigan City, said, "We've had a lot going on. And how would he know Illinois law?"

Biggers said she understood someone had been shot at Taste a year ago, "But what does that shooting have to do with him?"

"They are setting an example with Shrome, and I think that's horrible and disturbing," Biggers said. She asked that people who might have videotaped the incident come forth.

"This leaves these children with a stigma to have seen what happened and they will be afraid to come to police," she said.

"How could they have viewed us as bag guys when we're pushing a stroller?" Ward asked.

"That does not look like someone who is trying to break the law," Ward said. "My only question is why, why?"

I love it...it's the fault of the Chicago P.D. that this wannabe gangsta is in trouble...amazing.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 30 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I'll be the first to admit that it's too damn easy to get a carriers permit in Indiana. I simply had to fill out some papers, get finger printed, pass a back ground check and basta, the rest was just a waiting period of about two months.

This dumbass should figure out what states have reciprocity if he's going to walk around like John Wayne, lol. What a fool. It's so damn stupid, I can't help but chuckle.

Word to the wise: If a Chicago cop tells you to "shut the f------- up and get back in line", you do just that, lol.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
reddevil
post Jun 30 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 926

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jun 30 2009, 03:44 PM) *

I'll be the first to admit that it's too damn easy to get a carriers permit in Indiana. I simply had to fill out some papers, get finger printed, pass a back ground check and basta, the rest was just a waiting period of about two months.

This dumbass should figure out what states have reciprocity if he's going to walk around like John Wayne, lol. What a fool. It's so damn stupid, I can't help but chuckle.

Word to the wise: If a Chicago cop tells you to "shut the f------- up and get back in line", you do just that, lol.
While the gun toter was certainly a fool for not knowing the gun laws of Illinois, it still doesn't give the Chicago cop the right to play Mr. Rambo.

And sure, cops should be respected, but just to give them full out power seems a little scary as well.

Hi there!! ... by the way.

+Quote Post
Homey
post Jul 1 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Why do some feel the need to carry a gun, especially on a family outing, pushing a stroller?

I have to agree with you. Don't mess with the Chicago police. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Jul 1 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

Welcome to the forum reddevil.

I have to agree that authority is to be respected, but also agree that does not give any police officer carte blanche to "play Mr. Rambo."

I am pretty avid anti-gun (having faced the wrong end of one in a bank robbery when I was working as a teller at the age of 18). However the name calling and rush to judgement comments interspersed throughout this thread bothers me. People can make mistakes and many seemed to be quicker to forgive and accept the explanations of the PNC Prof carrying a gun into the prison than the persons involved in this case. Personally I found the PNC Prof's explanation more outrageous.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jul 1 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I did not realize that in order to comment on recent activity one has to look back to find a similar (even though it is not) action by someone else. There is absolutely no justification for Mr. George's carrying of a handgun into the Taste of Chicago. If the Chicago P.D. rousted everyone at Taste - not just those carrying a weapon - then their actions would of course be wrong. Maybe it puts me a little right of center, but the "how was I to know?" excuse holds no water with me.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Jul 1 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jul 1 2009, 04:41 PM) *
I did not realize that in order to comment on recent activity one has to look back to find a similar (even though it is not) action by someone else. There is absolutely no justification for Mr. George's carrying of a handgun into the Taste of Chicago. If the Chicago P.D. rousted everyone at Taste - not just those carrying a weapon - then their actions would of course be wrong. Maybe it puts me a little right of center, but the "how was I to know?" excuse holds no water with me.

I do not disagree with you and I was not justifying or agreeing with the man carrying a gun into Taste of Chicago. I personally would prefer guns be barred period in any public place (other than law enforcement personnel). I definitely agree that ignorance of the law is no excuse. He broke the law and should and will, I believe, have to face the consequences in court.

I do think that sometimes persons of authority (police,etc) can be a little overexcessive in their zeal to uphold the law. A little excessive force on occasion to subdue someone is not completely uncommon.

The only reason for bringing up the previous episode of carrying a gun into a place where it is not allowed was because I saw a difference in tone from some (not directed at you personally) in how they addresssed or described the person who did so. I do think both cases are similar actions as they both carried guns into places where guns are not allowed.

Last, but not least, of course you and everyone has the right to comment on anything...it does not require you to look back at anything else. To look back at another incident was my choice using my right to comment.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jul 1 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

No harm, no foul...all is well.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Jul 1 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jul 1 2009, 05:07 PM) *
No harm, no foul...all is well.

biggrin.gif Thanks.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Homey
post Jul 1 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I still have a hard time swallowing the news article. It's one sided and it calls for a public outcry against police brutality. I just can't buy it. My serious question is why the need for packing in the first place?

How ghetto!!!

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 1 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

I have to say that much of what I have read here on this topic seems to assume the Chicago PD were over zealous shall we say in how they treated this situation. Let's not forget that the girlfirend's account of the event is only one side of the story and perhaps just a little biased? I have heard some things regarding the individual arrested that I choose not to repeat in this forum only because I do not know them to be 100% factual. But if they are even halfway factual, then this individual isn't close to being the saint the girlfriend would have us believe.
+Quote Post
reddevil
post Jul 1 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Homey @ Jul 1 2009, 06:41 PM) *

I still have a hard time swallowing the news article. It's one sided and it calls for a public outcry against police brutality. I just can't buy it. My serious question is why the need for packing in the first place?

How ghetto!!!
You consider it "ghetto" to pack? Why? There is a good possibility that you might need a gun driving through the hoods from MC to Chicago.

It's like insurance. You hope you don't have to use it, but you never know. Have you seen the rash of shootings at churches? Schools? I don't see any place as a safe place. Especially not an open area like the Taste.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Jul 1 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kharris @ Jul 1 2009, 06:54 PM) *
I have to say that much of what I have read here on this topic seems to assume the Chicago PD were over zealous shall we say in how they treated this situation. Let's not forget that the girlfirend's account of the event is only one side of the story and perhaps just a little biased? I have heard some things regarding the individual arrested that I choose not to repeat in this forum only because I do not know them to be 100% factual. But if they are even halfway factual, then this individual isn't close to being the saint the girlfriend would have us believe.

Good point kharris. We all know what assume does (as my Mother was fond of pointing out when she told me to break it down.)

I sincerely hope you or anyone else did not think I was actually accusing this officer of over zealousness. My comment was that overzealous subduing is not that uncommon a thing to happen and unfortunately it is not. I tried carefully to not come across as an accusation of this particular officer.

I do not know the true facts of the case, as I was not a witness. I have read only 3 stories (two in local paper and one in Chicago paper - all on the online versions. I agree that the article from the girlfirend is obviously going to be biased.

I will also reiterate that ignorance of the law is not an excuse (if that will be his defense in court) and he will have to face the consequences and have a day or more in court. That court is the proper judge of what occurred and that is as it should be. We all have the right to make comments and offer our opinions. My original post was meant

1) to welcome a new poster, reddevil (Welcome again smile.gif )

and

2) a wish on my part that some of the terms in some of the posts were not quite as harsh or inflammatory (as they seemed to me). I used a former thread as an example of differences in tone.

It is only a wish and it is mine. No one is required to concede to my wishes and everyone can post as they wish...that is why we have free speech. Free speech is what this forum is all about. We all express our opinions (and wishes sometimes) and read other peoples. Sometimes we feel the need to clarify or expand on our posts.

So if I am one of the people you thought were assuming that particular officer was over zealous, than I was not careful enough in my post. I do not know and am not assuming that he was and I do not factually know anything that occurred that day (for or against either the officer or the person arrested). So my post was really not meant to address any of the facts of the case or make any accusations....it was meant as a welcome and wishful post. wacko.gif (LOL now I have even confused myself).

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Jul 1 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(reddevil @ Jul 1 2009, 09:18 PM) *
You consider it "ghetto" to pack? Why? There is a good possibility that you might need a gun driving through the hoods from MC to Chicago.

It's like insurance. You hope you don't have to use it, but you never know. Have you seen the rash of shootings at churches? Schools? I don't see any place as a safe place. Especially not an open area like the Taste.

Welcome again reddevil. Now that I have welcomed you 3 times, I am now going to state that I disagree with the thought of packing a gun anywhere as insurance. But then again if you read my post (one or two back), you probably already saw that I am pretty anti-gun and why. But welcome anyway - all opinions are welcome here ....as long as you don't mind if we also share ours rolleyes.gif

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
reddevil
post Jul 1 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Jul 1 2009, 09:28 PM) *

Welcome again reddevil. Now that I have welcomed you 3 times, I am now going to state that I disagree with the thought of packing a gun anywhere as insurance. But then again if you read my post (one or two back), you probably already saw that I am pretty anti-gun and why. But welcome anyway - all opinions are welcome here ....as long as you don't mind if we also share ours rolleyes.gif
Thanks for the warm welcome X 3!

I don't know the details of the story either and of course, I'm sure it is biased based on the opinion of the writer.

I totally support your right to not carry, but I just can't judge those that do as thugs or criminal wannabees. There are certainly good, safe and trustworthy people who carry guns... where they still have that right.

Of course, you never hear about those stories in the news, where people save their livelihood because they had a gun. You always hear about the thugs, the crimes and the accidents.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 2 2009, 05:29 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Jul 1 2009, 09:21 PM) *

Good point kharris. We all know what assume does (as my Mother was fond of pointing out when she told me to break it down.)

I sincerely hope you or anyone else did not think I was actually accusing this officer of over zealousness. My comment was that overzealous subduing is not that uncommon a thing to happen and unfortunately it is not. I tried carefully to not come across as an accusation of this particular officer.

I do not know the true facts of the case, as I was not a witness. I have read only 3 stories (two in local paper and one in Chicago paper - all on the online versions. I agree that the article from the girlfirend is obviously going to be biased.

I will also reiterate that ignorance of the law is not an excuse (if that will be his defense in court) and he will have to face the consequences and have a day or more in court. That court is the proper judge of what occurred and that is as it should be. We all have the right to make comments and offer our opinions. My original post was meant

1) to welcome a new poster, reddevil (Welcome again smile.gif )

and

2) a wish on my part that some of the terms in some of the posts were not quite as harsh or inflammatory (as they seemed to me). I used a former thread as an example of differences in tone.

It is only a wish and it is mine. No one is required to concede to my wishes and everyone can post as they wish...that is why we have free speech. Free speech is what this forum is all about. We all express our opinions (and wishes sometimes) and read other peoples. Sometimes we feel the need to clarify or expand on our posts.

So if I am one of the people you thought were assuming that particular officer was over zealous, than I was not careful enough in my post. I do not know and am not assuming that he was and I do not factually know anything that occurred that day (for or against either the officer or the person arrested). So my post was really not meant to address any of the facts of the case or make any accusations....it was meant as a welcome and wishful post. wacko.gif (LOL now I have even confused myself).

My comment was not directed at any single post on the subject ... it just seemed as though the the general theme of the postings leaned against the police with only a single side of the stroy told.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Jul 2 2009, 06:13 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(reddevil @ Jul 1 2009, 09:18 PM) *

Wow...I've made the trip between Chicago and MC many times. I lived in Chicago for many years and attended the Taste numerous times. I never felt the need to carry a gun. I understand that that is my reality and YMMV.

The chance of becoming a victim of a violent attack (even in Chicago) is actually pretty small. Of course, we hear about every violent crime in Chicago (and the world...) courtesy of the news media. I'm not convinced that this is useful. It's an easy story to report, no analysis necessary, nothing to research.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:53 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com