lighter
post Dec 4 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 912

Compounded traggedy.

-----

http://nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/arti...e7d26a137a.html

By Stan Maddux - Times Correspondent | Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:45 pm

MICHIGAN CITY | A teenager who was about to stand trial was flown to a Chicago-area hospital after setting herself on fire with gasoline at her home near Michigan City.

LaPorte County police said 17-year-old Jessica Johnson suffered burns to the upper portion of her body. Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer said her condition was not known.

"For her to be airlifted you know it wasn't good," Mollenhauer said.

The case has been ruled an attempted suicide.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Dec 4 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 945

Here's a much better version of the story:

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27427

Teenage driver attempts suicide
Jessica Johnson, 17, charged in conjunction with 78-year-old man’s death, set herself on fire

By Laurie Wink and Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writers

MICHIGAN CITY - A teenage driver who allegedly killed a man while fleeing from police was in critical condition after she set herself on fire Wednesday morning.

Jessica Johnson, 17, was on a ventilator in the burn unit of the John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County on Thursday, suffering from burns over 60 percent of her body, according to a hospital representative.

Her mother, Sara Johnson, was at the hospital with her daughter but declined to comment Thursday afternoon.

La Porte County Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer said Johnson poured gasoline on her body and set herself on fire in the backyard of her Springfield Township home about 11:30 a.m. Sheriff's Department Capt. Joe Pavolka was the first on scene, then was assisted by Springfield Township firefighters. She was driven about a mile away to a landing field next to Springfield Township fire station and was taken directly to Chicago by helicopter, he said.

"It's always tragic when young people attempt suicide," Mollenhauer said.

Ashley Adamson, 18, is Johnson's cousin and lives with Sara and Jessica Johnson at 7152 N. County Road 400 West. Adamson would normally be at work but, on Wednesday morning, she happened to be at the house with her 3-year-old son, Peyton. Johnson told Adamson she was going outside to mow the lawn.

"I heard her screaming in the backyard," Adamson said. "I put her out."

Adamson ran to the basement to turn on the water, she said, then used a hose in the backyard to extinguish the flames that had engulfed Johnson. The gas can was on the ground.

Adamson called 911 and said before her cousin was taken to Chicago, Johnson spoke to her.

"She told me she was sorry and she loves me," Adamson said.

Johnson had been happy to be home with her family, Adamson said. Johnson was released on bond in late October, after Magistrate Greta Friedman reduced her original bond from $100,000 to $50,000 and her mother posted 10 percent of the bond to release her.

One reason her attorney, Elizabeth Flynn, asked to have Johnson's bond reduced was so she could receive counseling for depression, Flynn said at Johnson's bond hearing. Mollenhauer said Johnson had issues with depression at the jail and was watched closely while she was there.

"We hope she will be all right, but her injuries were very extensive," he said. The burns cover most of the upper half of Johnson's body, he said.

Johnson was arrested April 30 and charged as a juvenile, since she was a 16-year-old Michigan City High School student at the time. In September, her case was sent to Superior Court 1, where she was charged with Class B felony resisting law enforcement.

Police said Johnson was driving a 1994 Volvo when she was stopped for speeding in the 900 block of Woodland Avenue. The officer was about to issue her a ticket for minor in possession of tobacco. At that point, police reported she fled and officers pursued her along East Michigan Boulevard. According to police, they discontinued the pursuit but shortly afterward Johnson allegedly ran a red traffic signal at Michigan Boulevard and Vail Street. At that point, they reported, she collided with a minivan driven by 78-year-old Frank Wojcik, Michigan City. He died at St. Anthony Memorial following the accident.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27538

Fire at Jessica Johnson home

From Staff Reports

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP - An investigation will begin this morning into the cause of a blaze at the home of Jessica Johnson and her family Tuesday evening, firefighters said.

The Springfield Fire Department was called to 7152 N. County Road 400 West just before 8 p.m. The house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters were still on scene at press time, and the Springfield Fire Department reported no information on the cause of the fire was yet available.

Johnson, 17, is accused of colliding with a minivan driven by 78-year-old Frank Wojcik, Michigan City, shortly after she was involved in a police chase April 30. Wojcik died at St. Anthony Memorial following the accident.

Just last week, Johnson was hospitalized after she set herself on fire.
+Quote Post
lighter
post Dec 10 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 912

http://nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/arti...0adeb0a78e.html

Fire breaks out at home of girl who set herself ablaze Dec. 3

Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

MICHIGAN CITY | Fire heavily damaged the house of a Michigan City area girl who set herself on fire last week.

Springfield Township fire chief Steve Marvel said the fire about 8 p.m. Tuesday was contained to the upper level of the two-story of the home at 7152 N. 400 West.

Marvel said the main level of the house sustained heavy heat and water damage.

The cause of the blaze was still being investigated.

Jessica Johnson, 17, had doused herself with gasoline and set herself ablaze Dec. 3. The two incidents are not related, authorities said.

Johnson was out on bond awaiting trial on charges related to the death of Frank Wojcik, 78, in a traffic collision that occurred during a police chase.

"We think it's just an unfortunate fluke timing-wise," LaPorte County fire investigator Mike Raymer said. - By Stan Maddux, Times Correspondent
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 10 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

I work with a gal who lives near these people. She told me (remember this is hearsay and I have nothing to back it up with so I am NOT stating this as a fact) that the fire was electrical in origin. She also told me (again this is hearsay and I am not claiming this to be a fact) that the family plans to pursue a lawsuit against the N-D for harassment and defamation. I guess they were ordered to stay away by the police but did not and as a result, this girl set herself on fire. Seems a little "out there" to me and I'm not sure to believe it or not.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Dec 10 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 10 2009, 04:08 PM) *

I work with a gal who lives near these people. She told me (remember this is hearsay and I have nothing to back it up with so I am NOT stating this as a fact) that the fire was electrical in origin. She also told me (again this is hearsay and I am not claiming this to be a fact) that the family plans to pursue a lawsuit against the N-D for harassment and defamation. I guess they were ordered to stay away by the police but did not and as a result, this girl set herself on fire. Seems a little "out there" to me and I'm not sure to believe it or not.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

Just FYI, no reporter from the N-D even tried to contact the family between the time Jessica was released from jail and the day she was hospitalized. No "police orders" have been issued to stay away from the family. I'm not even sure any kind of orders, even from her family, were ever expressed.

They're very nice people, I've talked to them myself. Where does this stuff even come from? But rumors are always more interesting than the truth...

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 11 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the info Alicia. I appreciate you taking the time to set the record straight and I will enlighten my coworker to the facts.

BTW, are you planning to come to the meet and greet? I'd love to meet you in person.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Dec 11 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 11 2009, 04:02 PM) *

Thanks for the info Alicia. I appreciate you taking the time to set the record straight and I will enlighten my coworker to the facts.

BTW, are you planning to come to the meet and greet? I'd love to meet you in person.

I am hoping Jessica will recover. What a tough time for her and her family...it takes strength and courage to make it through times like this. I know I'd be shaken if I had to face that. It's always a difficult job we do, trying to tell people the news and respect privacy as much as possible.

I just responded on that thread that I'd love to attend, but I work that weekend. I will try to stop by!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 23 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...0f487174492.txt

Judge grants three requests during status hearing

By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, July 23, 2010 4:13 AM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Jessica Johnson wore a protective, clear plastic mask when she appeared in La Porte Superior Court 1 on Thursday.

Johnson, now 18, continues to recover from burns she suffered when she set herself on fire Dec. 2 after being charged with resisting law enforcement. While fleeing police, her car collided with a van, killing the other driver.

In court for a status hearing, Johnson’s attorney, Elizabeth A. Flynn, asked Superior Court 1 Judge Kathleen Lang to ease some of the requirements of Johnson’s bond. Because of her injuries, she cannot wear an ankle monitor. Her injuries also make it necessary for her to visit physicians in Chicago, where she was hospitalized. Flynn also asked Lang to lift the requirement for attending school or working at a job.

“She is susceptible to infection,” Flynn explained.

Deputy Prosecutor Michael Bergerson had no objection and Lang granted all three requests.

Johnson attempted suicide by pouring gasoline on herself and setting herself on fire. Her cousin put the fire out, but she was burned over 60 percent of her body. Her cousin said she suffered from depression after she was involved in the crash, in which a 78-year-old man died.

The incident began after she was stopped in the 900 block of Woodland Avenue on April 30, 2009, for speeding. A police officer was about to issue her a ticket for underage use of tobacco when she fled. Police pursued her briefly, but then gave up. Shortly after, police said, she ran a traffic signal on Michigan Boulevard at Vail Street and struck a van driven by Frank Wojcik, who died a short time later at St. Anthony Memorial.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:33 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com