Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=45929.32

Harbor Grill work nearing an end

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Things are shaping up at the Harbor Grill restaurant in Washington Park.

In fact, things are shipshape.

Authentic nautical design elements are being incorporated into a remodeling project that is nearing completion at the former Michigan City Yacht Club.

The transformation is expected to cost more than $1 million, according to Ed Arnold, a La Porte businessman and member of the investment group that purchased the building. Harbor Grill will occupy the upper floor, and the Yacht Club will have offices on the lower level.

"It's been a challenging project," Arnold said about the quirks of working on an 85-year-old building that has had multiple additions. "It's been 'This Old House' times 10."

The business launch was slowed by the cumbersome process of getting local and state permits. The Harbor Grill was awarded the city's first Riverfront Entertainment District liquor license. The district was created by the city to spur North End redevelopment.

The $1,000 license was made available after the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission allowed the city to exceed its quota of liquor licenses. The decision was strongly opposed by a group of local tavern and restaurant owners, who said they paid many times more for their own liquor licenses, and that it was unfair competition.

However, they own their licenses and can sell them for whatever the market will bear, while the city owns the licenses in the Riverfront Entertainment District, and the restaurant owner who holds it cannot sell it on the open market.

Customer parking also has been problematic, Arnold said. The restaurant space in Washington Park is leased from the city, and the parking spaces in front of the restaurant are controlled by the Port Authority. The city park department OK'd a $6 charge for restaurant users during the summer season, and The Harbor Grill will refund the $6 to customers and give $2 of each fee to the park department. The idea is to prevent people from parking at the restaurant and walking to the beach to avoid paying the park entrance fee.

"I hope by spring, a more streamlined system (of parking) will be available," Arnold said.

Food service has been available since July 4 on the outdoor deck overlooking Trail Creek. The bar dining room opened a week before Labor Day. In October, the main dining room and adjacent special events room will be open, Arnold said.

As a licensed master captain, Arnold said he enjoys showing off the arched ceilings made from strips of mahogany, pine and teak, mimicking the inside of a boat. The hostess stand is a Chris Craft navigation stand, complete with captain's wheel. Handles on the cabinetry are real cleats used to secure boat lines.

Outside the restaurant, a propeller has been placed near the main entrance. Arnold said it came from the ship "Muskegon" and was salvaged from Trail Creek.

Seafood will be Harbor Grill's house specialty. The menu was created by Chicago restaurateur Richard Mott, a partner in the business. Three chefs will work under Mott's supervision.

"It's a moderately priced menu," Arnold said. "All the food is made in-house - from the cocktail sauce to the salad dressing. We're trying to use the freshest ingredients."

Arnold said Harbor Grill has a special permit to allow the chef to prepare freshly-caught fish.

"Catching them is so much more fun than cleaning them," he said.

The kitchen and building have passed inspections as phases have been completed. Once the inside renovation is complete, Arnold said work will start on an outdoor pavilion. It will be enclosed with glass walls that will take full advantage of the view and can be added and removed as weather dictates. The entire project has been designed with energy-conservation in mind.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 16 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

"The $1,000 license was made available after the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission allowed the city to exceed its quota of liquor licenses. The decision was strongly opposed by a group of local tavern and restaurant owners, who said they paid many times more for their own liquor licenses, and that it was unfair competition.

However, they own their licenses and can sell them for whatever the market will bear, while the city owns the licenses in the Riverfront Entertainment District, and the restaurant owner who holds it cannot sell it on the open market."

This is a bit of info that would have helped the discussion in another thread regarding these new licenses. In fact, the licenses should be LEASED from the City for a certain amount per year, not with just a one-time fee. Also, what happens after the current holder is done with the license needs to be monitored because this is the kind of thing that seems likely to happen: No one remem bers that the public owns the license, and some private party uses the transfer of the license for private gain. Not saying that it has to happen, just that public property for private gain is not unheard of.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Sep 17 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

That's a great suggestion, Roger.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 22 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

May parents ate there over the week-end. A GLASS of wine at $7? My dad said it would have helped if they would have jammed a gun in his ribs when the paid the check. They thought the food was good - but way overpriced to the point that this was their first and last visit.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 22 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #5

Wow, $7? I think I'll pop for the extra buck or two and buy a whole bottle at the store laugh.gif

Any reviews on the food or the menu?
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Sep 22 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

$7 a glass. I wouldn't slam him based on the price of a glass of wine. What kind of wine was it? How big of a pour? If you have one of those itsy bitsy wine glasses, that's a 4oz pour. That would be six four oz glasses in a bottle. That would be a $42 bottle of wine. More typical, a pour in a restaurant is about six ounces which equates to four glasses a bottle and that would be a $28 bottle of wine. Again, in order to put together an opionion, you'd have to know what kind of wine it was.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 22 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #7

I am trying to load up a menu but the darn thing gets blown up so only a little part is shown in about 24 point type,

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
krk
post Sep 22 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 817

Where are they serving wine for substantially less and what are they serving?

The other local owners who were opposed to the $1000 liquor license fail to note that thier licenses were at one time (circa 1933?) the same price. The new businesses will be paying considerable amounts of taxes and fees. The idea is incentive to bring new ventures to the area. Am I mistaken? Wouldn't an annual lease fee deter potential investors? Once the area is developed, everyone will benefit, right? I don't think anyone is likely to forget who holds the license. Highly doubtful.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Sep 22 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 22 2008, 10:32 AM) *
I am trying to load up a menu but the darn thing gets blown up so only a little part is shown in about 24 point type,

What website are you looking at? I couldn't find one for the current business.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 22 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #10

I actually stopped by and got one from the charming hostess, whom I knew from St. Stan's.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 22 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(krk @ Sep 22 2008, 11:55 AM) *
Where are they serving wine for substantially less and what are they serving?

Those prices sound close to most prices around here for decent wine. I know you can get a $3 glass at Albano's, but I do not think that wine compares in quality to bottles in better joints.

The other local owners who were opposed to the $1000 liquor license fail to note that thier licenses were at one time (circa 1933?) the same price.

Do you mean that in 1933 the licenses were $1000? Let's see, with inflation, getting off the gold standard...yes, $1000 today is STILL a bargain.

The new businesses will be paying considerable amounts of taxes and fees. The idea is incentive to bring new ventures to the area. Am I mistaken?

No, you are not mistaken.

Wouldn't an annual lease fee deter potential investors?

No.

Once the area is developed, everyone will benefit, right?

A lot of people may. Some will not.

I don't think anyone is likely to forget who holds the license. Highly doubtful.

Quoting Gorbachev: Trust, but verify.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 22 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Sep 22 2008, 10:00 AM) *

$7 a glass. I wouldn't slam him based on the price of a glass of wine.

It was my parents' opinion based on quality/quantity vs. what was charged. Plus their opinion was based on the total amount of the check, not just the wine.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Sep 22 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 22 2008, 06:10 PM) *

It was my parents' opinion based on quality/quantity vs. what was charged. Plus their opinion was based on the total amount of the check, not just the wine.

I can appreciate that. I'll have to check it out on my own sometime. I haven't had the urge to visit what was formerly known as the Yacht Club. I find it ridiculous that anyone would want to be a member of any "Club" that would be a bar in a dingy basement, lol.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 23 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Sep 22 2008, 10:38 PM) *

I can appreciate that. I'll have to check it out on my own sometime. I haven't had the urge to visit what was formerly known as the Yacht Club. I find it ridiculous that anyone would want to be a member of any "Club" that would be a bar in a dingy basement, lol.

Well, the folks did say they thought the food was good - just pricey.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 23 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Consider rodini's--somewhat pricey, but the food is not good. I would rather get good food.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 23 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10

I'm glad you said that Roger cause I've never been fond of Rodini's food either. Dino's is much better when it comes to taste and service IMO.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 23 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 23 2008, 02:43 PM) *

I'm glad you said that Roger cause I've never been fond of Rodini's food either. Dino's is much better when it comes to taste and service IMO.

I always liked Rodini's food, but couldn't stand the place because of the smoke in there. It made for a terrible atmosphere to eat in for me personally. I haven't ate there in years for that one reason. I must get the worst luck at Dino's because it always seem like I get terrible service there, like some of the worst in all of MC, even including the fast food joints. I always had best luck at Lindos out of any of the Greek places.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 24 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #18

The problem I have with Rodini's is that stuff tastes like it is all canned or prepackaged, especially the sauces, vegetables, and starches. I did like the saganaki, and I have enjoyed the steak Diane a couple times, but I was disappointed more often.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:36 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com