Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #21

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 10 2012, 08:57 AM) *

Tilt

The mall could do a little better but they have to charge a great deal of rent to just get by. That's a lot of the problem. I, too, hope Kohl's will help to revive that area, but people want to shop for less and paying full retail is something they aren't interested in, thus outlet shops and big box stores. I have many fond memories of Marquette Mall--both from working there, shopping there, and hanging with my friends there--but it's a relic and thing of the past. I'm with Ss'der; bulldoze it.

More than anything, I don't see a way to save it in its current form. It is stuck in the death spiral right now... No one shops there because there are no stores, and no stores will locate there because no one shops there. So how do you break that cycle? It isn't like 1966 anymore where the mall has no competition. There is a massively successful outlet mall on the other end of town, not to mention entities like Wal-Mart and Meijer located under a mile away.

They either need to totally reinvent that space, or punt. What they are doing now just isn't working.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jul 10 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,048

I think with the coming of Kohl's across the street, and the re-invention/revitalization of that plaza, the pressure for Marquette to change will grow. I'm not sure it could actually be razed, because there are offices in Marquette Tower.

I think at this point, we're all pretty surprised that our Sears has held on this long, but Sears and Penney's both have "out store" models that are successful in other places.

For all of the mall "defenders" out there, look at UP Mall in Mishawaka... their latest renovation? Create a giant new segment that you can just drive up to, and go in one store. As has been stated, with the exception of certain "destination" malls, indoor malls are a thing of the past. I grew up working at UP Mall, and I can't tell you how many times people complained that "they didn't want to have to go in the whole mall just to get one thing".

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jul 10 2012, 09:48 AM) *

I think with the coming of Kohl's across the street, and the re-invention/revitalization of that plaza, the pressure for Marquette to change will grow. I'm not sure it could actually be razed, because there are offices in Marquette Tower.

I think at this point, we're all pretty surprised that our Sears has held on this long, but Sears and Penney's both have "out store" models that are successful in other places.

For all of the mall "defenders" out there, look at UP Mall in Mishawaka... their latest renovation? Create a giant new segment that you can just drive up to, and go in one store. As has been stated, with the exception of certain "destination" malls, indoor malls are a thing of the past. I grew up working at UP Mall, and I can't tell you how many times people complained that "they didn't want to have to go in the whole mall just to get one thing".

Hello obesity problems in the US...
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 10 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

Look, if you were a business, would you want to be trapped inside of a building where no one even knew you existed unless they walked in? Or would you rather have a sign on the street and on the front of a building so people could drive by and know about you? Obviously, you'd choose the latter. How many times have you walked into a mall and saw a new store and thought, "I didn't know we had one of those"?

I think I made the point in a previous thread about Marquette Mall, but the model for that location should be the former Scottsdale Mall in South Bend. They tore that piece of crap down and replaced it with strip malls and restaurants and the place is alive now because of it. Heck, even University Park Mall has drastically changed it's outward appearance in recent years, combining the strip mall idea with the self-contained model. Marquette Mall doesn't work anymore and someone with some actual vision and business acumen needs to step in and do something completely different. I can't even tell you the last time I went into the actual mall. Been to Sears and Penney's and Carsons, but I usually go just to the store I need to go to.
+Quote Post
Grupe2006
post Jul 10 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,184

I disagree with the idea that indoor malls are a thing of the past. I would say most of our teens go to the lighthouse mall, but I know many parents with young children who rely on indoor malls in the winter and the hottest summer days. Personally I travel to the Merrillville Mall with my kids because they have marketed to families with young children. If Marquette added play areas for children, a few toy stores, and maybe a FunFlatables, and some quality food court options it would be a great place for families to take their kids. As it is, the only indoor places for young kids to go include McD's and Burger King. We can also go to the library...but the library isn't a good place to get their energy out. I really believe if they want to save the mall, they should consider targeting families with young children.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(Grupe2006 @ Jul 10 2012, 02:18 PM) *

I disagree with the idea that indoor malls are a thing of the past. I would say most of our teens go to the lighthouse mall, but I know many parents with young children who rely on indoor malls in the winter and the hottest summer days. Personally I travel to the Merrillville Mall with my kids because they have marketed to families with young children. If Marquette added play areas for children, a few toy stores, and maybe a FunFlatables, and some quality food court options it would be a great place for families to take their kids. As it is, the only indoor places for young kids to go include McD's and Burger King. We can also go to the library...but the library isn't a good place to get their energy out. I really believe if they want to save the mall, they should consider targeting families with young children.

Welcome to the site! The problem is the company running Marquette Mall isn't going to add stores. They are just a landlord for the most part.
+Quote Post
southyards
post Jul 10 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 10 2012, 01:28 PM) *

Welcome to the site! The problem is the company running Marquette Mall isn't going to add stores. They are just a landlord for the most part.

Sometimes fast-food places aren't the best place to take kids to play. Here's a clip from the Chicago Trib:

Arizona mom seeking clean playgrounds is banned from eight McDonald's
October 26, 2011|By Monica Eng, Tribune reporter

Arizona mom Erin Carr-Jordan, seen at a Chicago McDonald's in July, is crusading against bacteria-laden play areas at fast-food restaurants all over the United States. (Nancy…)
An Arizona woman who took on McDonald's for unsanitary indoor playgrounds has been barred from eight of the fast-food chain's locations in the Phoenix area.
Erin Carr-Jordan has spent much of the last eight months calling attention to dirty conditions at indoor fast-food playgrounds, including McDonald's. She was profiled in the Tribune in July.

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #28

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 10 2012, 07:57 AM) *

Tilt

The mall could do a little better but they have to charge a great deal of rent to just get by. That's a lot of the problem. I, too, hope Kohl's will help to revive that area, but people want to shop for less and paying full retail is something they aren't interested in, thus outlet shops and big box stores. I have many fond memories of Marquette Mall--both from working there, shopping there, and hanging with my friends there--but it's a relic and thing of the past. I'm with Ss'der; bulldoze it.

No - I think it was the one before that. Golden something.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 10 2012, 03:23 PM) *

No - I think it was the one before that. Golden something.
Goldmine

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #30

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 10 2012, 03:24 PM) *

Goldmine

Correct.

BTW, did you seriously advance the theory that Franklin Square tanked due to political reasons?
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 10 2012, 03:27 PM) *

Correct.

BTW, did you seriously advance the theory that Franklin Square tanked due to political reasons?

Don't think politics has helped any.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #32

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 10 2012, 03:28 PM) *

Don't think politics has helped any.

This is what you said.

"I disagree, planning Franklin Square was a failure from the word go since Franklin Square has always had political connections."

That's almost as preposterous as your "Apple extorting money..." theory.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 10 2012, 04:24 PM) *

Goldmine

I'd be rich if I had invested all of the quarters I wasted in there.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #34

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 10 2012, 05:43 AM) *

It's just a sign of things to come. As the city continues to slip, so does the shopping.

Sorry - I have a need to address this one more time.

Do you even realize how unfounded in reality this statement is? This is like going back to 1972 when the mall was thriving and the downtown was dying and pointing to the downtown and saying see? The city "continues to slip".

BS

When the mall was built Our Fair City's retail center shifted. Now in 2012 it has shifted again. I was in MC twice last year. Both times I shopped at both Lighthouse Place and Marquette Mall. Both times Lighthouse Place was thriving, and Marquette Mall was a ghost town. But it's simply foolhardy of you to refer to the mall as "the shopping" in MC, when the retail center has again shifted. Trust me, the shopping in MC is alive and well.

Look - I know you have what appears to be a legitimate beef with the school system in Michigan City. You obviously know your stuff, and if you feel your children's education has been compromised by stupidity in the system then you have every right to be pissed off - and to make a big stink about it. The problem I have with what you post is you now seem to paint the whole town with the same brush. Sorry - it won't fly. MC has its problems, no doubt. So does every city in America. But there's a lot of positive movement in Our Fair City too. I have friends and family there - many of whom are not only thriving in local business but actually experiencing growth.

Continue to complain all you want. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion.

Michigan City is my hometown and I will always love and support it.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 12 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #35

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Here's some ariel photos of the Marquete Mall from 1976. The picture at the bottom right shows the Mall before the office/Swanson Center Tower was constructed. Article also said that Michiagn City once had more than 100 saloons.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
southyards
post Aug 12 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 12 2012, 06:21 AM) *

Here's some ariel photos of the Marquete Mall from 1976. The picture at the bottom right shows the Mall before the office/Swanson Center Tower was constructed. Article also said that Michiagn City once had more than 100 saloons.

Attached Image

Just went through my 1960 Elstonian yearbook. There were 130 local, storefronted, businesses advertising in there. No doubt there were more that did not advertise. In a recent visit to Marquette Mall, I saw around 17 closed stores and didn’t see more than a dozen or 15 people walking around. The fountain display in the center of the mall held dead and dying plants and the water was gone. Other than that the mall appeared clean and well maintained.
No opinion here, everyone has their own take and it is what it is, just sayin. . . . . .

+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 12 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #37

Really Comfortable

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but someone on the MC/FB page said the mall will be closed off somewhere between Penneys and Sears and Sears will only be accessible from outside. Sounds like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic - but maybe a positive move.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 13 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 12 2012, 05:38 PM) *

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but someone on the MC/FB page said the mall will be closed off somewhere between Penneys and Sears and Sears will only be accessible from outside. Sounds like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic - but maybe a positive move.

Interesting. I do like the idea of trying to fill one area at a time, but I tend to think you are right about the Titanic.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Aug 13 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 12 2012, 05:38 PM) *

My sense is that if any of the three "anchor" stores fall, then the entire mall is doomed.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 15 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #40

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Aug 13 2012, 08:45 AM) *

My sense is that if any of the three "anchor" stores fall, then the entire mall is doomed.

I thought sure our Sears would not survive that wave of Sears closings a while back. I don't think Carson PS is doing too bad, but I think the mall is already doomed.... wish it wasn't, but I don't see any way now in 2012 for whoever runs it to hope to fill all those vacancies and turn it back into what it was in the 70's.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com