Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=39693.75

Jaymar-Ruby to close

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Long-time Michigan City clothing manufacturer Jaymar-Ruby will officially close Nov. 4, leaving a total of 90 employees out of work.

Howard Heffron, in charge of operations at the Michigan City plant at 1100 Kieffer Road, said he got word of the closing Aug. 7 via an e-mail message from a representative of Emerisque Brands, based in London. The British company had just purchased Hartmarx, Jaymar's parent company. Hartmarx drew headlines in January when it was announced the company, maker of suits worn by President Barack Obama, was struggling to avoid bankruptcy.

Less than a week after Emerisque purchased Hartmarx, it closed factories in Rock Island, Ill., Anniston, Ala., and Hamilton, Ontario, leaving 525 employees out of work.

Heffron said the e-mail he received contained attached letters notifying each employee of a termination date. About 15 workers were let go at 4 p.m. Aug. 7, while others received termination dates ranging from September to the November plant closing.

Heffron, a 23-year-veteran with Jaymar, was told he'll stay on as a temporary employee until Nov. 4. He was reluctant to say much on the record. Other employees were eager to talk about what they consider unfair labor practices, including not getting a severance package.

Shirley Horn, a 33-year Jaymar employee in payroll and human resources, said she has temporary worker status until Nov. 4. She described the mood at the local plant as "pretty sad."

"Most of us are disappointed because we thought they would save our jobs," Horn said. "We've had people who have worked here for as long as 45 years. We heard nothing from anyone saying they were sorry this happened."

James Nichols is one of 24 labor union workers still at the plant. He said there has been "a lot of yelling and screaming" since the closing was announced. Nichols, who has worked in the receiving department for 18 years, said nobody knew about the decision to shutter the local plant.

"They gave us reassurance that we would have the same contract," Nichols said. "Now the company wants to throw us out like we're nobody."

On Monday, Nichols met with City Councilman Willie Milsap, D-5th Ward, to ask for his help in contacting political representatives. Milsap said he will try to set up meetings with State Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City, and U.S. Rep. Joe Donnelly, D-Granger, on behalf of Nichols to talk about what is happening to Jaymar workers.

"You've got to gather the facts before you can do anything," Milsap said. "I'm willing to sit at the table but I can't guarantee anything. I don't have a magic wand."

Jaymar-Ruby was established in Chicago in 1916 by Burton Ruby, who moved the business to Michigan City in 1922.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 19 2009, 02:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:44 PM) *

"Less than a week after Emerisque purchased Hartmarx, it closed factories in Rock Island, Ill." etc. Congressman Phil Hare, whom I know in that we operate a radio station in his district, worked hard to get the sale put together to save the plants. He had worked years ago in the Rock Island facility. At this point I am not sure that anything can be done.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 19 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Good Lord - what a shattering moment for Our Fair City. Jaymar has always been one of those unchanging constants. I feel so sad for those people too. I've worked for my company for 25 years - it's part of who I am, it seems. I could NOT imagine it just not being here anymore. So my heart truly goes out to those folks losing jobs.

As a firm believer in my home town, my heart hangs heavy at this news.
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 19 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

From the grand old lady of journalism, the New York Times, at the time of the sale:

Emerisque plans to keep many of Hartmarx’s 4,000 workers, it said in a statement before the deal was approved. The private equity firm said it was the only company that planned to keep Hartmarx operating as a going concern.

“Today’s approval of Emerisque’s bid to buy Hart Schaffner Marx and the cooperation by Wells Fargo is good news for nearly 4,000 workers, their families and our economy,” Mr. Hare, a Democratic Congressman from Illinois, said in a statement.

+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 19 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Aug 19 2009, 04:55 AM) *

From the grand old lady of journalism, the New York Times, at the time of the sale:

Emerisque plans to keep many of Hartmarx’s 4,000 workers, it said in a statement before the deal was approved. The private equity firm said it was the only company that planned to keep Hartmarx operating as a going concern.

“Today’s approval of Emerisque’s bid to buy Hart Schaffner Marx and the cooperation by Wells Fargo is good news for nearly 4,000 workers, their families and our economy,” Mr. Hare, a Democratic Congressman from Illinois, said in a statement.

There are a few things the local article did not make mention of. There are about 10 customer service employees that are remaining full time employees, though they will be relocated to a new setting since the local facility was not picked up in the bankruptcy sale. In the end a total of 180-190 local folks are losing their jobs due to this. 90 were let go immediately and close to another 100 will be gone by Nov 4th. I have been told that the distribution center employees will offered the opportunity to move to the Des Plaines, IL warehouse (an approx 2.5 hour commute each way), which is where Emerisque has consolidated all of their manufacturing for Hartmarx. Rumor also has it that the Chicago corporate offices will be closed.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 19 2009, 06:02 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 19 2009, 03:51 AM) *

Good Lord - what a shattering moment for Our Fair City. Jaymar has always been one of those unchanging constants. I feel so sad for those people too. I've worked for my company for 25 years - it's part of who I am, it seems. I could NOT imagine it just not being here anymore. So my heart truly goes out to those folks losing jobs.

As a firm believer in my home town, my heart hangs heavy at this news.

Interestingly, between 6 of the women who work in the office there is 182 years of service to the local Jaymar Ruby.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 19 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(kharris @ Aug 19 2009, 06:58 AM) *

Rumor also has it that the Chicago corporate offices will be closed.

From what I've been told, the headquarters for HartMarx are going to stay on Wacker Street. I'm going there next Tuesday, I'll get the complete skinny.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 20 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #8

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-...0,4403783.story

N. Ind. clothing distribution center to close

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - The owners of a clothing distribution center in northern Indiana have decided to close it this fall, a move that will eliminate about 90 jobs.

The Jaymar-Ruby facility in Michigan City opened in the 1920s and workers there for many years made the Sansabelt line of men's pants. Clothes have not been made there for several years and the site operated as a distribution center and retail outlet.

Michigan City economic development director John Regetz says local officials had tried without success to persuade the British company that bought the business this summer to keep it open.

A letter distributed to employees says that workers will be let go in phases until the facility is closed in early November.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 28 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

So I was at Hart Marx earlier this week. It appears that the old company hadn't paid it's rent in years and that's where the talk of leaving Wacker comes from. They just extended the lease to February. Nobody knows at this point in time what's going to happen after that.
They did close the Aniston AL plant which is where the suit pants were made. The jackets are made in DesPlaines. Now the pants are being made by Hickey in N.Y. About 30% of the people in the Wacker building were let go.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #10

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=342847

Hartmarx to sell idle Michigan City plant
Bloomberg News
print story
email story
Published: 12/9/2009 8:36 AM

Send To:
E-mail:
To:

Name:
E-mail:

Comments:
(0) | read | post
Buzz up!

Hartmarx Corp., the Chicago-based men's suit maker that sold the business in August, will undertake the sale of a former distribution facility in Michigan City, Indiana, so long as the secured lender GE Commercial Finance Business Property Corp. covers expenses and gives up a portion of the sale proceeds.

Hartmarx has operations in Des Plaines.

Hartmarx decided that the sale of the facility won't command a price sufficient to cover the $5 million mortgage held by GECC. The company wasn't inclined to undertake the expense of marketing the plant without a give-up by GECC.

At a Dec. 17 hearing, Hartmarx will seek approval of an agreement where GECC will give Hartmarx the greater of $200,000 or 7 percent of the net proceeds of sale. If the eventual price covers the debt fully, Hartmarx will receive the excess plus the 7 percent.

The Michigan City facility wasn't among the assets acquired by the purchaser.

At the Dec. 17 hearing, Hartmarx will also pursue a three- month extension, until March 22, of the exclusive right to propose a liquidating Chapter 11 plan. The company has agreed that the official creditors' committee may file a plan if there is a bona fide disagreement over its terms.

The Dec. 17 hearing is also when GECC will ask the bankruptcy judge to excuse the late filing of a $5.55 million secured claim. GECC says it made other filings that amount to an informal claim.

The bankruptcy judge in June authorized the sale of the business to Emerisque Brands U.K. Ltd. and SKNL North America Ltd. under a $119 million contract that included $70.5 million cash, the assumption of $33.5 million in debt and a junior secured note for $15 million.

Hartmarx filed under Chapter 11 in January. The petition listed assets of $483 million and debt totaling $261 million as of Oct. 9. Debt at filing included $114 million on a revolving credit, $15.5 million in industrial revenue bonds, $12 million in mortgages and $70 million owing to trade suppliers.

Manufacturing was performed in the company's own facilities and by contractors. The brand names included Hart Schaffner Marx and Hickey Freeman.

The case is In re XMH Corp., 09-02046, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Chicago).
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 10 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Too bad we don't have a man like Alexi Giannoulias, we might still have those jobs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQC4Ks11MU
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Dec 11 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Dec 10 2009, 11:41 PM) *

Too bad we don't have a man like Alexi Giannoulias, we might still have those jobs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQC4Ks11MU

I saw that commercial the other night...and it figures - we can't even get the right crooked politicians in here...lol.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 17 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Dec 11 2009, 08:46 AM) *

I saw that commercial the other night...and it figures - we can't even get the right crooked politicians in here...lol.

I really liked this one, pause the video at :13 seconds, the guy's wearing an Indiana University t-shirt biggrin.gif:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Citizens4Giann...u/0/r2LXfjMg7A8
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...ba814271157.txt

Some Hartmarx employees may get fed aid

Published: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:17 AM CST
INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Department of Workforce Development has announced a ruling by the U.S. Department of Labor that finds that certain employees of Trans Apparel-Hartmarx in Michigan City are eligible to receive services under the federal Trade Adjustment Assistance program.

The TAA program is made available to workers who are displaced due to foreign imports or shifts in production out of the country.

The federal ruling was issued on Jan. 29 and applies to workers totally or partially separated from employment on or after Aug. 11, 2008, through two years from the date of certification.

The TAA program provides benefits to help unemployed workers prepare for and obtain suitable employment. They may be eligible for a variety of re-employment services, job search and relocation allowances and training. In addition, weekly trade re-adjustment allowances may be payable to eligible workers following the exhaustion of employment insurance benefits.

Additionally, the Department of Labor issued a certification for Re-employment Trade Adjustment Assistance for separated older workers at the Michigan City facility. It was determined that a significant number of workers at the company age 50 and over possess skills that are not easily transferable and that competitive conditions within the industry are adverse. Older workers may choose between regular TAA benefits or a wage subsidy of 50 percent of the difference between their new salary and old salary, up to $12,000.

For additional information, contact the local WorkOne center.

The Michigan City Center is at 344 Dunes Plaza; telephone, 872-5575; hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday; or see the Web site at www.workoneworks.com.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:42 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com