Southsider2k12
post Jul 16 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=31675.7

Local Airport Is Flying Strong
Economic impact for city in 2006 was nearly $5M, manager explains.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - As the Michigan City Municipal Airport begins planning for an expansion of its terminal and longest runway, it is seeing record numbers in traffic and economic impact to the city.

"Overall, we're doing great," airport manager Brian Payne said. "People are coming in here and spending money in Michigan City. The airport's doing well."

According to Payne, the overall economic impact on the city in 2006 was nearly $5 million. That's money that comes from airport operations, money spent in the city by people who use the airport, and reduced costs for travel; costs that would be incurred if the airport was at a different location.

Direct impacts - from things like fuel sales and land leases at the airport - totaled $1,964,170 in 2006, while indirect impacts - money spent in the city by people who've flown into the airport - totaled $608,240.

Induced impacts - secondary and repeat expenditures from airport visitors - also totaled $1,964,170, while the savings on transportation costs was valued at $142,483.

Payne said that the airport's clientele has expanded, showing the facility - and the city - has become a destination stop for flyers.

"And it's not just small guys," he said. "We get business customers and all kinds of people who come in here and spend money."

Inside the airport's small terminal, the breadth of transient pilots can be seen thanks to a large map pinned to a wall inside. Whenever pilots fly into the airport, they place a stick pin on the map to indicate where they're based.

"We're up to 26 states, Canada and the Virgin Islands," Payne said. "It's a huge number to be able to show people."

While the airport provides economic impact to the city, it also doesn't cost the city much, using only $139,000 of city funds in 2006.

Michigan City controller John Schaefer said the airport is self-sustaining.

"Obviously it's an asset when dealing with economic development in that it can handle planes up to a certain size," Schaefer said. "Other than the (small budget amount), the operation pretty much pays for itself. The other costs are absorbed by hangar rentals and fuel sales and things like that."

Payne said the airport plans to expand its hangar this year and hopes to get on the Federal Aviation Administration's grant cycle so it can expand its runway in the near future.

For the past couple years, the airport has been buying land along Meer Road for the extension, but encountered problems with those acquisitions and fell out of the most recent funding loop.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 15 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41374.03

Aviation Group Honors Michigan City Airport

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Municipal Airport has been named Airport of the Year by the Aviation Association of Indiana.

The award carries with it a $1,000 check, which the airport will give to Chapter 966 of the Experimental Aircraft Association.

"I am honored for Michigan City to be named airport of the year," Airport Manager Brian Payne said. "It is terrific to have our airport recognized for all of the hard work and dedication that contributes to its vitality."

The airport was selected for the fourth annual award through an evaluation of its role in promoting aviation safety, education, economic development and corporate citizenship.

The program is a cooperative effort between the AAI, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Federal Aviation Administration, Indiana Department of Transportation's Office of Aviation and industry sponsors.

The organizations highlighted the airport's role in expanding aviation education, the creation of the airport emergency plan, training Emergency Responders, community outreach and participation in community events.

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 3 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://www.heraldargus.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=43130.79

12/1/2007 10:31:00 AM
Expansion plans at Michigan City Municipal Airport

Scot Squires
1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13869

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City Municipal Airport's plans are taking off.

The general aviation airport is finalizing blueprints for a new terminal building, which should be completed this summer.

The $400,000 building is being designed by Michigan City-based architecture firm Fanning and Howey. At 2,553 square feet it will be double the size of the current building.

"The new one will have a pilots' lounge, flight-training room and an employee break room," said airport manager Brian

Payne. "A portion of it will be accessible 24 hours a day with a code."

Other features include an area for pilots and passengers to nap; a conference area; a boardroom; a weather information room; Internet access; a TV; showers; and handicap access, Payne said.

The flight-training room is something the current terminal doesn't have.

"Down the road we hope to lease out that room to a flight instructor," Payne said.

The current terminal will be torn down once the new one opens.

The new building will feature lots of large windows for a view of the runway and will have a brick and stone exterior. The single-level building will be designed to easily expand in the future.

Up, up and away

The new terminal comes at a time when traffic has increased at the airport to about 8,760 takeoffs and landings per year, Payne said. During the past three years, he said, the number of aircraft based at the airport has grown by three percent, to 50.

The amount of fuel sold has jumped by 30 percent during that same time, which has in turn increased revenues at the airport.

"That's half our business," Payne said.

The airport, which like most others its size does not charge landing fees, also makes money by leasing the land on which privately owned hangars are located.

But it's not only the airport that's benefited from increased traffic; La Porte County benefits as well.

"The economic impact is huge," Payne said. "The economic impact is over $4.6 million for the city."

That's money people flying into town spend on things like restaurants, hotels, shopping and other entertainment, he said.

Since March 1, the airport has been tracking planes landing at the airport on its transient map. During the past nine months, visitors have come from 35 states, Canada and the Virgin Islands.

To keep up with growing demand, plans are already under way to extend the 4,100-foot runway to 4,850 feet at a cost of $3 million.

After that, the airport may extend the runway to 5,000 feet, "the magic number insurance companies like for pilots to land," Payne said.

That project is probably 10 years off, he said.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Dec 3 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

I love the history of the Michigan City Airport. Does anyone on here remember when it was out where Menards and Lowes are currrently? That was before my time in MC. Apparently that runway was built with FAA grant money. In 1971 (how many of the current administration were working for the city then? No doubt Oberlie was involved in this somehow), those in charge had a brilliant idea -- sell the airport, probably to developers, and use the money to build a new city hall! Brilliant!!! rolleyes.gif However, the FAA took exception to this ("We give you all that money to build an airport and you think you can just sell it off? Operate the airport or refund the grant money!"). Naturally the next step is.... a $50,000 study! They then used (probably a small part of) the proceeds of the sale of the old airport to acquire the current airport.

I have to say, I love my big old house, and I really think that MC is going to improve substantially in the next ten years, but if I had known some of the, errr, no profanity on here Dave, FASCINATING history of this town (and had been smart enough to look at copies of the former owner's utility bills before buying this drafty old barn), I'd probably still be living on Sheridan Road in Chicago.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 3 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I got a few bricks when they tore it down. I remember going with my father to watch the planes when I was little.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 3 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 3 2007, 04:41 PM) *

I got a few bricks when they tore it down. I remember going with my father to watch the planes when I was little.

Wasn't it called Joe Phillips Airport? My dad used to tell us storeis about his family flying out of there when he was a kid for vacations...when most of the family members were living in MC.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 3 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #7

The current Municipal is the old Joe Phillips. The Old Muni is gone.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 3 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

My mistake. BUt I do remember seeing the old muni on south 421. Ah, nostalgia...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 4 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #9

I remember going to the drive in at the current airport site as a wee little tyke.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 4 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #10

You mean off 212?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 4 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #11

Yup.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 4 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

I remember "Go With Joe". We used to take airplane rides when I was little. My Dad loved to be up in the air and he would take us for a ride about once a month, after it became the Muni they didn't offer rides like that anymore. My dad is not a pilot, but you could pay and a pilot would take you up in the air for a 30 minute ride. That was so much fun!!

I also remember when the drive-in was on 212. The last movie I think I saw there was Phantasm. The movie scared the HECK out of me!! (of course I was only 12--now I think it's kinda corny) We used to have a van and my sis and I each got to take a friend. That was a regular Friday night gig for us.

Man!! Those were the days, huh?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #13

Phantasm--very scary.

In a van? What about the people behind you--could they see?

Did you ever bust off a speaker?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 5 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #14

They had a special parking row in the back for vans and no, we never busted a speaker. They had a playground in the front under the screen and sometimes we would get there early to get the best spot, us kids would go play at the playground until the movie started. Once, we stayed too long, the movie had started and because it was dark, we couldn't find the van. So, we went to the concession stand and my mom found us. It was kinda scary.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #15

Especially when you saw the rowdy teenagers snapping off the speakers!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 5 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 5 2007, 10:48 AM) *

Especially when you saw the rowdy teenagers snapping off the speakers!

And were you among them perchance?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:20 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com