Southsider2k12
post Jul 3 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=1696

Mayor vetos sidewalk ordinance
Citing fiscal concerns, Oberlie says an override risks other projects.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Mayor Chuck Oberlie this week struck down a sidewalk ordinance passed almost unanimously by the City Council last month and threatened to cut funding to capital projects if the council overrides his veto.

"That's their legal prerogative. They have the legal right," Oberlie said. "But they need to know there are consequences on either side if they choose to do so."

Oberlie vetoed the ordinance citing the high costs to the city of taking over payment for repairs and replacement of city sidewalks. Councilman Paul Przybylinski has been pushing for a sidewalk program for years.

The move removed all responsibility for maintenance of sidewalks from property owners and placed it on the city.

In a letter to the council, Oberlie said paying for a sidewalk program would hurt other projects.

"There are 103 miles of known walks within the city, not including service walks and entrance steps that are located on the right of way," he said. "Should the council decide to override my veto, I will be forced to re-evaluate all currently planned capital projects and make significant changes in funding in order to comply with the ordinance."

Citing vague Michigan City codes, Oberlie said the ordinance would have, in many cases, made the city responsible for not only sidewalk work, but work on the entire city right of way, or tree lawn.

According to code a tree lawn, he said, is located between the sidewalk and the property line. Many older homes abut the "tree lawn."

"The city would become responsible for the repair of connecting walks including entrance stoops," he wrote

Council Vice President Ron Meer, D-3rd Ward, said Monday he agrees with Oberlie's points in the letter and added he won't be one of the six votes needed to override the veto.

"Unfortunately, though, (Oberlie's) concerns are the same ones the homeowners have," Meer said.

Currently, sidewalks are replaced when street work is done. Grants and other help has dried up.

"If they want to look at the code, they ought to have a comprehensive analysis of the issue," Oberlie said. "We'll continue to address sidewalk issues within our budget and we will continue to build and replace sidewalks as part of our sewer and water construction projects."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 3 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I am with Oberlie on this one. The so-called best neighborhoods are the ones without sidewalks. I say let those well-off enough to live in those neighborhoods pay for sidewalks and so on, just like regular folks have had to. I am tired of subsidized living for the better-off element of society.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jul 3 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 3 2007, 11:20 AM) *

I am with Oberlie on this one. The so-called best neighborhoods are the ones without sidewalks. I say let those well-off enough to live in those neighborhoods pay for sidewalks and so on, just like regular folks have had to. I am tired of subsidized living for the better-off element of society.

Uh, just curious as to which areas you are referring? "New" Edgewood? Sheridan Beach?

In my opinion, there should be a master plan for pedestrian and bike traffic in Michigan City. Identify the logical corridors for pedestrian and bike travel and make sure that is where your sidewalk money is being spent. My wife and I have tried to walk down to the Queen's fest from our home in "Old" Edgewood (we have a sidewalk, so am I living in tract housing?) by way of Barker Ave. Talk about taking your life in your own hands. What about 421 in front of our sprawling retail (I know, it's a state thing), Woodland, Coolspring, Springland, and Ohio. No work should be done on any of these roads that doesn't include improvements for foot and bike traffic. I could care less if Joe Schmoe on Dewey St. or Kenwood Place has a walk in front of their house.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 5 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #4

I don't get the point of passing this ordinance if there was never intent to stand behind the bill. It just makes the Council look like a rubber stamp at the Mayor's bidding. If they weren't willing to over-ride a veto, they shouldn't have voted for it in the first place. This is just a pathetic display of being put into their place. Ron Meer and Paul Pryz are the only ones who really save face in this, as they publically stood behind their votes. Everyone else owes the public an explanation.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41829.66

Sidewalk Idea Is Kicked To The Curb
Mayor’s veto holds up to override attempt in city council meeting.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Common Council on Tuesday refused to override Mayor Chuck Oberlie's veto of a sidewalk ordinance, but several said the veto won't put an end to discussion on the subject.

"We need to have continued dialogue to reduce this problem," 2nd-Ward Councilman and author of the ordinance Paul Przybylinskis said. "Dialogue was stopped by voting to accept the veto."

"Just because we accepted the veto doesn't mean discussion on this matter is over," 4th-Ward Councilwoman Pat Boy responded.

Przybylinski was the only council member to vote in favor of an override. Such a move requires a two-thirds majority vote, meaning six of the nine members must vote to override.

Oberlie vetoed the measure - which was passed nearly unanimously two weeks ago by the council - because he said vague code language would open the city up to untold expenses.

The ordinance aimed to take all responsibility for maintaining and repairing sidewalks off property owners and place it on the city.

Council vice president Ron Meer said he understands Oberlie's contentions, and added they are the same concerns city residents have expressed.

"No one can afford it," Meer said. "We need to sit down with the mayor and maybe look at additional funding or other avenues."

Przybylinski took issue with Oberlie's notion that the ordinance could hurt the city financially.

"By no means did I ever think we'd create a program that would bankrupt the city," he said. "This is a direct form of tax relief for the citizens of Michigan City."

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@the newsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 5 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #5

I think we all can identify the neighborhoods that the general public would agree are perceived to be the so-called better neighborhoods.

I agree with mcstumper about making foot- and bike paths an integral part of all repaving/rebuilding projects. I have talked to people who came here from other places, and they all say that when new work is done, walking trails and bike paths are all integrated into the design not only of streets but new commercial and residential developments. Why not here? The answer: Failure of leadership!

As far as your comment on 421's being a State thing, you have to remember that the State controls just the right of way. There is no reason the city cannot do something just inside of the right of way. Again, it is a failure of imagination of the leadership of the city.

I would like to see more details of the MC Trails project to see if your thoughts are addressed.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 9 2007, 07:08 AM
Post #6

An interesting Anvil Chorus letter on the topic, from one of the most prolific writers in town... The most interesting part was the difference in costs!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=32727.82

Budget City Money For Sidewalks
The Michigan City Common Council stumbles again. One thing is very apparent - our City Council has absolutely no idea what they are doing. Clueless in Michigan City, Indiana.

Why on earth are things so complicated in Michigan City? Fear, fear and more fear. To assume the city was going to go broke over the sidewalk ordinance based on liability, how ridiculous.

Let me spell it out for the council members. You budget sidewalk repairs, $200,000 each ward. You budget your sidewalks like you allocate your funny money for parks and recreation, so give a little for some sidewalks.

If a homeowner is capable of doing the work himself, show some love and help with the material. There may be 104 miles of sidewalk but the 165 feet I replaced in 2003 cost $1,800 of my own money, with no city help. Their price was $9,800. See the problem?

You wonder why kids walk on the streets. It's because the sidewalks suck. We will always have those $700,000 flower pots. It's a shame sidewalks aren't a priority in Michigan City. Maybe we will spend some money for a study to see if they really need to be replaced!

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jul 9 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

"There may be 104 miles of sidewalk but the 165 feet I replaced in 2003 cost $1,800 of my own money, with no city help. Their price was $9,800. See the problem?"

I have read this 10 times and I still can't figure out what he is talking about. Who is the "their" in the 2nd question????

Is he saying that he paid $1800 to replace his sidewalk but it would have cost him $9800 if he had asked the city to do it???

I must be dense.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jul 9 2007, 08:02 PM) *

"There may be 104 miles of sidewalk but the 165 feet I replaced in 2003 cost $1,800 of my own money, with no city help. Their price was $9,800. See the problem?"

I have read this 10 times and I still can't figure out what he is talking about. Who is the "their" in the 2nd question????

Is he saying that he paid $1800 to replace his sidewalk but it would have cost him $9800 if he had asked the city to do it???
I must be dense.

That is how I read it.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 11 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #9

Yeah, moi aussi.

Can a person hire the City to do it? Or is it all done by the property owner?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 11 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10

I read it that way too. I agree with the whole sidewalk issue in that the City needs to do something. When I lived in Trail Creek my son went to Joy. There is no bus service to Joy from Trail Creek and my son was expected to walk down Coolspring to school with no sidewalk to walk on. Crazy!! They expect these elementary school kids to walk down the street on Coolspring to get to school.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 11 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 11 2007, 02:51 PM) *

I read it that way too. I agree with the whole sidewalk issue in that the City needs to do something. When I lived in Trail Creek my son went to Joy. There is no bus service to Joy from Trail Creek and my son was expected to walk down Coolspring to school with no sidewalk to walk on. Crazy!! They expect these elementary school kids to walk down the street on Coolspring to get to school.

Now, Ang, you know they could take Greenwood to Woodland instead... laugh.gif

Just kidding. I'm in that same boat right now with 2 of my kids attending Joy (the 3rd will also go, but not until he's a tad older). I agree, it's really ridiculous...but the sidewalks wouldn't change the traffic patterns...and I still wouldn't be comfortable with my kids walking to school down a busy street at such a young age without an adult.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 12 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #12

We have to start getting to the planners when plans are on the drawing board to make sure walkways and bike paths are included. Wouldn't it be great if kids could ride their bikes to the playgrounds?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Jul 17 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

bump
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:38 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com