Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cell phone service
Southsider2k12
post Oct 7 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Who has what service and what do you think of it?

We are currently with Verizon and have a ton of dropped calls. I heard that Sprint is pretty solid around here, but I am curious what other people think...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 7 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 7 2007, 11:54 AM) *

Who has what service and what do you think of it?

We are currently with Verizon and have a ton of dropped calls. I heard that Sprint is pretty solid around here, but I am curious what other people think...

We use Sprint. It's usually really good, but lately, we're having the dropped call problem, too.
Anyone else?
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 7 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

We have Sprint as well. I get pretty good service, even in my basement. Heck, we don't even have landline phones anymore. She has a cell, I have a cell, why bother with a third line to have ring while I'm in the shower?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 8 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Tmobile. Excellent service EXCEPT at home. Can get text messages but conversation difficult.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 8 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

I'm on Verizon and have had the dropped call problem lately as well. I chalked it up to being on the mountain, but that's not it. Verizon told me you have to update your programming every three months by calling *228 then select option 2. I just did it and I'll let you know if my dropped call problem goes away.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 8 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 8 2007, 09:47 AM) *

I'm on Verizon and have had the dropped call problem lately as well. I chalked it up to being on the mountain, but that's not it. Verizon told me you have to update your programming every three months by calling *228 then select option 2. I just did it and I'll let you know if my dropped call problem goes away.

We tried that tip before. Supposedly it reconfigures your phone to realign with the changes in cell phone towers. It didn't work for us, in fact things have been worse.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 8 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 8 2007, 08:50 AM) *

We tried that tip before. Supposedly it reconfigures your phone to realign with the changes in cell phone towers. It didn't work for us, in fact things have been worse.

Hmmmm. Do you think it could be sun spots or something? Especially if other cell providers are dropping calls, too. Also, consider the fact that I am 1200 miles away and experiencing the same problems? Maybe there is a virus in the system. Or aliens in space getting ready to take over the world? Or, maybe "they" are planning to make us all crazy with some weird pulse that's going to come across the cell phones at a designated time and date?

Whew!! Talk about consipracy theories! Hey Dave, you got any input to that. wink.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Oct 8 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

We've used Sprint for years (we dropped our home phone line 5 years ago). We have always had good experiences in Mich City and LaPorte.

Just asked the wife... no dropped calls lately.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 9 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 8 2007, 11:44 AM) *

Whew!! Talk about consipracy theories! Hey Dave, you got any input to that. wink.gif

Hey, my beloved's cellphone for the past month has had its display showing as an upside down mirror image. I figure it's possessed by demons, or something. Does that count? (durn, there's no tinfoil hat smiley on here!)
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 9 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 9 2007, 01:28 AM) *

Hey, my beloved's cellphone for the past month has had its display showing as an upside down mirror image. I figure it's possessed by demons, or something. Does that count? (durn, there's no tinfoil hat smiley on here!)

I'm thinkin' that problem might be "dropped phone syndrome" ohmy.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 9 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #11

Or maybe it got squeezed on its way through the production run.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 1 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #12

SSder, FWIW, I have not dropped a call since I called *228.

Does anyone have a laptop with wireless internet? I just got a laptop and I'm wondering who would be good for nationwide wireless internet access. I'm thinking about Verizon only because I don't know of any others. Suggestions anyone?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 1 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 1 2007, 09:51 AM) *

SSder, FWIW, I have not dropped a call since I called *228.

Does anyone have a laptop with wireless internet? I just got a laptop and I'm wondering who would be good for nationwide wireless internet access. I'm thinking about Verizon only because I don't know of any others. Suggestions anyone?

I know that Sprint offers this service. But, it may be less expensive to go through your current cell service provider. I'd have to do some price comparison shopping.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 1 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #14

FWIW, I did get Sprint, and haven't had a dropped call yet that didn't involved an elevator or McCormick Place.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 1 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(JHeath @ Nov 1 2007, 10:30 AM) *

I know that Sprint offers this service. But, it may be less expensive to go through your current cell service provider. I'd have to do some price comparison shopping.

My verizon phone is actually off my mom's account, so if I were to get wireless net, it would have to be under her name to get a multi-use discount. Sprint isn't available in Wyoming. We only have Verizon, Alltell and a local company called Union Wireless. That is why I was thinking of Verizon, they are available in all 50 states, coast to coast, sea to shining sea, etc. Do they even have Alltell back east? I'd never heard of it till I moved here. Before the move I was with T-Mobile and if I'd kept them, I would be paying roaming charges through the nose. So I had my mom add a line to her Verizon account, with unlimited texting, my phone bill is only $25/mo and I just pay my mom.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 2 2007, 07:20 AM
Post #16

Would it work out in the sticks? F'rinstance, in the Dunes area in Nebraska?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 2 2007, 08:49 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 2 2007, 07:20 AM) *

Would it work out in the sticks? F'rinstance, in the Dunes area in Nebraska?

If you mean Verizon, well, on my trip home last summer, Nebraska was the only state that I was ever in roaming. As soon as I crossed out of WY into NE, my phone quit working. It worked when I was around Lincoln, then again in Omaha, but otherwise it was iffy to get a signal or not. IA had some trouble spots as well, but not as many as NE.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com