Southsider2k12
post Jul 5 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

July 6 - 1:00PM
Big Parade
This year’s theme, “The Beat Goes On!” is in honor of Michigan City as the host site for the first time for the Drum Corps International World Regional Competition in August. The theme is a reflection upon how proud we are as a city to have such an honor.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 5 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Remember that WIMS is gonna be broadcasting from Sahara Restaurant. I suggest we all go and harass them. Maybe we can all have transistor radios tuned to WIMS 1420 AM and engender a giant feedback loop. Can Rush let us know if that would work?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Jul 5 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Group: Banned
Member No.: 72

Actually that WOULD work and derail any type of broadcast we would put on IF we were using our regular equipment. Our engineer has set us up with the Notre Dame football broadcasting equipment for the parade, however, so there is little you can do to us from a technical angle. I mean if you wanted to take us down a peg or two, you could stand in front of us making rude gestures or yelling obscene comments.

Also, speaking of parades, we were at the La Porte 4th and it was a great turnout. I don't even know if Ric will be able to broadcast the parade this Sunday, he was running, screaming and yelling throughout the entire thing and his voice was shot by the end.

If anyone wanted a peek at what happened at the parade, you could check out my personal youtube page at www.youtube.com/user/fubucky and we have clips and interviews with Keith Harris, Scott Pelath, Tom Dermody, Miss Indiana along with a parade montage. This is just where I am testing my video ability before we officially launch the WIMS video section (I took video editing in college, but I do not like the visual medium, so I slept a lot...) I know this this looks like we are copying the other MC station www.youtube.com/user/wefmradio but it IS something we have been planning for over a year. Would we have put it together this fast if they did not launch theirs? Probably not, but that's the good thing when media groups compete, you win...hopefully we will keep pushing each other and improving the quality of local radio.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 5 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Johnny Rush @ Jul 5 2008, 11:25 AM) *

Actually that WOULD work and derail any type of broadcast we would put on IF we were using our regular equipment. Our engineer has set us up with the Notre Dame football broadcasting equipment for the parade, however, so there is little you can do to us from a technical angle. I mean if you wanted to take us down a peg or two, you could stand in front of us making rude gestures or yelling obscene comments.

Also, speaking of parades, we were at the La Porte 4th and it was a great turnout. I don't even know if Ric will be able to broadcast the parade this Sunday, he was running, screaming and yelling throughout the entire thing and his voice was shot by the end.

If anyone wanted a peek at what happened at the parade, you could check out my personal youtube page at www.youtube.com/user/fubucky and we have clips and interviews with Keith Harris, Scott Pelath, Tom Dermody, Miss Indiana along with a parade montage. This is just where I am testing my video ability before we officially launch the WIMS video section (I took video editing in college, but I do not like the visual medium, so I slept a lot...) I know this this looks like we are copying the other MC station www.youtube.com/user/wefmradio but it IS something we have been planning for over a year. Would we have put it together this fast if they did not launch theirs? Probably not, but that's the good thing when media groups compete, you win...hopefully we will keep pushing each other and improving the quality of local radio.

I just watched your video - looks like a great day! I was in the Maple City Cadets drum & bugle corps as a kid - we marched the LaPorte parade every year - it looked just like your vid!
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 6 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Johnny Rush @ Jul 5 2008, 12:25 PM) *

Hey Johnny - Was just looking at the videos from the LaPorte Parade. Great Job! Of course I might be a little biased ... I'll be linking from my website www.electkeithharris.com
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 6 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #6

The parade was a great time. I saw lots of familiar faces, and lots of people having a great time. We didn't make it the whole parade, but we got through 150 of the participants. The littlest one has a new tooth, and another ready to break through anyday, so we were happy to make it as long as we did. I did get to finally catch up with Ric and Johnny from WIMS and a chance to plug the site and talk about what we do here. Thanks guys!

Anyway, the parade was awesome as usual. Great job to all of the people who put lots of hours, blood, LOTS of sweat, and a few tears into entertaining us once a year. THANKS!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 6 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #7

Not to mention the greatest picture ever... My oldest learning to salute the troops. smile.gif

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 7 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #8

I saw the WIMS tent and they did look busy over there. The rebroadcast of the coverage was this morning--enjoyed that! good job, Johnny! Did anyone show up to disrupt your signal?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 7 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=15548

The Beat, And Parade, Goes On
Nearly 200 area groups take part in annual Summer Festival Parade.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - "The Beat Goes On" was a fitting theme for the 53rd annual Summer Festival Parade on Sunday.

The Cavaliers Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps marched near the front, followed by the world champion Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps, of Rosemont, Ill.; the Blue Coats of Canton, Ohio; Pioneer Corps of Milwaukee; and the Knights of Glory, of Indianapolis.

All these units, along with others, participated in the Pageant of Drums show at Ames Field on Sunday evening.

The Summer Festival Parade began at 1 p.m. at 10th and Franklin streets, led by Salvation Army and Exchange Club members who collected donations of non-perishable food to help area families.

Weather conditions were sunshine and a cooling breeze. Well before the parade started, spectators staked out spots along the route. Chet and Emily Janasiak and four friends sat in folding chairs under a tree on the front lawn of St. Stanislaus, where the Janasiaks attend church. They come back to see the parade year after year.

"You meet people you haven't seen in years," Chet said.

Loretta Curtis, a friend from La Porte, said the Michigan City parade is better than the La Porte July 4th parade, except for the fighter jets at the beginning of La Porte's event.

Volunteers for St. Stanislaus School took advantage of the school's Franklin Street location to sell an array of food and cool drinks to parade goers. The money raised is used to help fund the annual eighth grade trip to Washington, D.C.

Kalob Bildhauser, 13, La Porte, said he hasn't missed a single Summerfest parade in his life, often viewing it from the rooftop above a friend's apartment.

One of the best vantage points was likely under the awning of a stroller pushed by a parent. That's where 15-month-old Elliott Roberts was hanging out while waiting for the parade to start. His mother, Tigre Roberts, said Elliott likes noise. Brother Nathan, 4, likes the Shriners with their swords according to his father, James.

Special guests of Mayor Chuck Oberlie watched the parade from a tarp-covered reviewing stand. Larry Ludwig, a 24-year Air Force veteran, was designated to salute passing military honor guards. Also on the reviewing stand were parade entry judges Ed and Mark Clendaniel and Billie Childress, who have volunteered as judges for the past five years. Trophies are awarded to parade entries in numerous categories.

Joe Doyle, chairman of the annual Summerfest, said the change from the usual Saturday parade to Sunday didn't seem to affect the parade.

"The parade went off real well," Doyle said. "It started just about on time and finished in two hours."

A total of 197 units were involved in this year's parade, according to Doyle.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46909.77

Parade Winners

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - Here are the winners in the judging for the Michigan City Summer Festival Parade on Sunday.

Commercial Floats: First, Decoy's Neighborhood Bar and Grill; second, Select Realty Services.

Not-For-Profit Floats: First, St. Anthony Memorial; second, American Red Cross.

Mayor's Theme Floats: First, St. Joe Club; second, VFW Post 2536; third, The News-Dispatch.

Antique Vehicles: First, Greg Hanke; second, Great Lakes Museum of Military History.

Classic Autos: First, Rick Emrick; second, Rag Tops.

Auto Clubs: First, Great Lakers; second, Street Vision.

Firetrucks: First, Springfield Volunteer Fire Department; second, Coolspring Volunteer Fire Department.

Parade Theme Trophies: First, Michigan City Soul Steppers.

Dance/gymnastics: First, Michigan City Soul Steppers; second, Jazzercise Center on Franklin.

Baton Groups: First, Moose Show and Parade Corps.

High School Bands: First, La Porte High School; second, Michigan City High School.

Horses: First, Mid-America Cowgirls Rodeo Drill Team; second, La Porte County 4-H Drill Team.

Color Guard: First, VFW Post 2536.

Group Effort: First, Union Mills Lion Club Train; second, Geek Squad Dance Team.

Special Entry: First, Indiana Racing Lions; second, Too Much Fun Bunch.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 14 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #11

The fireworks show was great as always. This was the first year we didn't sit in Washington Park and instead sat up by Swingbelly's, and what a great seat. The view was just as good, and the loud bangs were muffled by the distance away, so no scared kids!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 14 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #12

I must put in a plug for the St Stan's brats. I mean the sausages (I had two) AND the 8th graders! Most of the kids have been very involved in all school functions from when they were little, and when they are raising money for their trip, please help them. I am sure they are gonna be washing cars somewhere, etc., and as I hear from them, I can pass that along.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 14 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 14 2008, 10:04 AM) *
I must put in a plug for the St Stan's brats. I mean the sausages (I had two) AND the 8th graders! Most of the kids have been very involved in all school functions from when they were little, and when they are raising money for their trip, please help them. I am sure they are gonna be washing cars somewhere, etc., and as I hear from them, I can pass that along.

Are you a member of St. Stans?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 14 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #14

was

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 14 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 14 2008, 12:46 PM) *
was

What happened? Did you lose God?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 14 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #16

I belong to QAS now.

Lose God?
"Domine ad quem ibimus verba vitae aeternae habes et nos credidimus et cognovimus quia tu es Christos Filius Dei."

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 14 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 14 2008, 03:08 PM) *
I belong to QAS now.

Lose God?
"Domine ad quem ibimus verba vitae aeternae habes et nos credidimus et cognovimus quia tu es Christos Filius Dei."

As in the opposite of "finding God."

Semper ubi sub ubi?

Since you're so fond of dead languages, did you know that there is now a latin mass at St. Stans?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 14 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #18

Yes. And fond as I am of language and linguistics, you understand my objection to your characterization of Latin as dead. As far as there can be such a thing, the Vulgate is the "official" translation of the Bible. The Church's pronouncements are officially in Latin. Though there is no population of regular folks speaking Latin, it is used regularly in the contexts cited.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 14 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #19

Yes. And fond as I am of language and linguistics, you understand my objection to your characterization of Latin as dead. As far as there can be such a thing, the Vulgate is the "official" translation of the Bible. The Church's pronouncements are officially in Latin. Though there is no population of regular folks speaking Latin, it is used regularly in the contexts cited.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 14 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

I think St. Stan's is the only church around which does Latin mass.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 04:18 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com