Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:52 PM) *

OK SIR.

Here's a hint - if you want to communicate in this forum muster a little decorum. Otherwise people will just ignore you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 5 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #25

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:48 PM) *

DO YOU BELIEVE RACISM EXISTS ?

I do believe racism exists for sure. It does exist right here in City, I have no doubt of that. I am not sure to what extent, or that it is in any sort of organized form at all here. My experience is that this stuff usually boils down to some morons, doing stupid things. I do believe that a white man beating up a black man, or vice versa, does not necessarily make it a racist action. There is a very good chance that this bouncer is just someone who is out of control. Does the bouncer do this often? Are there a string of people who have been beat up at this bar? Are they mostly one race? Is the bar clientele mostly one race?

I'd really love to hear from some people who took in this event personally, and/or some people who frequent this place since it changed hands.
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #26

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 858

I knew you didnt want too answer . im sorry I dont live with proper computer etiquette ill try better. Tim
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #27

Getting Comfortable

Thanks southsider
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #28

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 08:08 PM) *

I knew you didnt want too answer . im sorry I dont live with proper computer etiquette ill try better. Tim

Was that so hard? biggrin.gif

To answer your question yes, of course racism exists. As long as there's a KKK racism will continue to exist. As long as there's a Miss Black America Pageant racism will continue to exist. And the possibility that this particular beating was racially motivated also exists. But to just call it racist because it's white guys beating up a black guy is stupid. From the sheer glee these goons seem to have as they beat this guy up it far more seems like they'd have the same fun beating my ass if I got out of line in their bar.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 5 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 945

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:57 PM) *

I'd really love to hear from some people who took in this event personally, and/or some people who frequent this place since it changed hands.

I took phone calls for three days from just about everyone and their brother. Really all I got out of it was what you saw in the paper.

And the other guy is not Marty Corley. I've heard that a lot, though. Weird.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 5 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #30

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(NDReporter @ Oct 5 2009, 08:16 PM) *

I took phone calls for three days from just about everyone and their brother. Really all I got out of it was what you saw in the paper.

And the other guy is not Marty Corley. I've heard that a lot, though. Weird.

I stand corrected. I looked up Eric Polomcak (not a very common name) on anywho.com the only listing shows in the area shows Dowagiac, MI.

http://whitepages.anywho.com/results.php?R...amp;qn=Polomcak
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #31

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Oct 5 2009, 08:12 PM) *

Was that so hard? biggrin.gif

To answer your question yes, of course racism exists. As long as there's a KKK racism will continue to exist. As long as there's a Miss Black America Pageant racism will continue to exist. And the possibility that this particular beating was racially motivated also exists. But to just call it racist because it's white guys beating up a black guy is stupid. From the sheer glee these goons seem to have as they beat this guy up it far more seems like they'd have the same fun beating my ass if I got out of line in their bar.

Thanks Tim truth is I dont like typing lol hope we find out the truth.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #32

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Thanks Tim truth is I dont like typing lol hope we find out the truth.

Make no mistake - if in fact this beating was racially motivated then I agree it's very wrong. It's people who call ANY altercation between blacks and whites racist that I find jaw-droppingly stupid.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Oct 5 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

I haven't seen the video--it appears to have been deleted from myspace, and I can't find it on Youtube, so I can't really comment on the case. But I hope we can all agree that assaulting someone on a public sidewalk is outrageous, regardless of what time of day or night the victim happens to be out. (Not saying that's what happened here, but if it did, it's certainly worthy of condemnation). I don't get this idea that if you're out late, it means it's okay for someone to attack you.

I went to Reilly's one time with my parents. Late afternoon, not at night. There's no way I would ever go back. The place was stylishly appointed, but the service and food were both terrible. There were only two tables occupied there and six employees, but service was glacier-slow and really brusque and unfriendly. We didn't get the food we ordered. After we got that corrected, it took forever to get someone's attention to get silverware (the employees were all busy drinking at the bar, and when I walked up, they ignored me). They had a great big-screen TV, but it was tuned to Discovery Health and they wouldn't change the channel, even when we asked. So I had a giant broadcast of open heart surgery burned into my brain while I was trying to eat. Yum yum.

They're also pretty bad neighbors. They have music blasting long after midnight on weeknights--you can hear it from blocks away. I feel sorry for all the families with young children who live near there; it must be impossible to get the kids to sleep.

I keep hoping they'll go out of business, but no such luck so far. Maybe this will do the trick. Hope springs eternal.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 5 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #34

Someone posted the link to the You Tube video earlier in this thread

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....ost&p=23986
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #35

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Michelle @ Oct 5 2009, 09:01 PM) *

I haven't seen the video--it appears to have been deleted from myspace, and I can't find it on Youtube, so I can't really comment on the case. But I hope we can all agree that assaulting someone on a public sidewalk is outrageous, regardless of what time of day or night the victim happens to be out. (Not saying that's what happened here, but if it did, it's certainly worthy of condemnation). I don't get this idea that if you're out late, it means it's okay for someone to attack you.

I went to Reilly's one time with my parents. Late afternoon, not at night. There's no way I would ever go back. The place was stylishly appointed, but the service and food were both terrible. There were only two tables occupied there and six employees, but service was glacier-slow and really brusque and unfriendly. We didn't get the food we ordered. After we got that corrected, it took forever to get someone's attention to get silverware (the employees were all busy drinking at the bar, and when I walked up, they ignored me). They had a great big-screen TV, but it was tuned to Discovery Health and they wouldn't change the channel, even when we asked. So I had a giant broadcast of open heart surgery burned into my brain while I was trying to eat. Yum yum.

They're also pretty bad neighbors. They have music blasting long after midnight on weeknights--you can hear it from blocks away. I feel sorry for all the families with young children who live near there; it must be impossible to get the kids to sleep.

I keep hoping they'll go out of business, but no such luck so far. Maybe this will do the trick. Hope springs eternal.

ChickenCityRoller posted the link earlier in this thread. I've watched it - the bouncers do seem totally out of line. Your story of your visit, though, is pretty shocking. Doesn't sound like this place will be around very long.
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Oct 5 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 39

I don't know if it was or not. I can tell you that there are certain establishments in the past that definately discriminated against the young black men. I had several young men contact me about issues with two places. I told them they were stupid for continuing to go there. Also, my brother was visting me from college with a buddy of his. He's a big dude who played college football and he was asked to leave and they could not tell him why, except you have to get out. I know these are isolated instances but these were all from the same two places.

I also had several calls and experienced problems with the Chinese buffet place by the old Walmart. My family politely finished dinner and I expressed my disgust with the service and how they treated us and left my name and number. I also advised them that I would make sure to tell friends and family not to patronize them again since we were not welcome. I won't go into details but they were very blatant in their service to me and my daughters. I never heard anything but I saw something in the Anvil Chorus from another family a few weeks after our incident.

Again, this happens in all cutlures and races. Just stop patronizing these businesses.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #37

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Oct 5 2009, 09:09 PM) *

I don't know if it was or not. I can tell you that there are certain establishments in the past that definately discriminated against the young black men. I had several young men contact me about issues with two places. I told them they were stupid for continuing to go there. Also, my brother was visting me from college with a buddy of his. He's a big dude who played college football and he was asked to leave and they could not tell him why, except you have to get out. I know these are isolated instances but these were all from the same two places.

I also had several calls and experienced problems with the Chinese buffet place by the old Walmart. My family politely finished dinner and I expressed my disgust with the service and how they treated us and left my name and number. I also advised them that I would make sure to tell friends and family not to patronize them again since we were not welcome. I won't go into details but they were very blatant in their service to me and my daughters. I never heard anything but I saw something in the Anvil Chorus from another family a few weeks after our incident.

Again, this happens in all cutlures and races. Just stop patronizing these businesses.

THat's disgusting. It amazes me that here it's almost 2010 and this late-50's mentality still exists.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 5 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #38

We were just in there last week. I will have to keep that in mind. I won't go to the Fortune House because of the people they got killed in the house fire and the way they were treating them essentially like slaves, and forcing them to work in their store.

Thanks for the review.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 5 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #39

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

It did not seem like anyone inside the bar was not trying to "defuse" anything, they cheered when Calvin got punched then cheered when he gotthe knee.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Oct 5 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 05:33 PM) *

ALSO AS I RECALL EVERY ONE IN ROAD HOUSE WAS WHITE. THERE WAS A GREAT DEAL OF LAWLESSNESS IN THAT SMALL TOWN .

You might be right. But I bet if you look hard enough there is at least one token black guy in cowboy hat. I think there should be a website like Mr. Skin .com that, instead of documenting every second of nudity in mainstream films, documents every token black man in otherwise all white movies. We could call it Mr. Black Skin .com. I am looking for investors. Who is in?

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com