IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michigan City High School needs to get out of the Duneland Conference, Michigan City to Northwest Crossroads - Munster to Duneland
taxthedeer
post Sep 6 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

2011-2012 conference re-alignment proposal:

Northwest Crossroads Conference:
  • Andrean
  • Griffith
  • Highland
  • Hobart
  • Kankakee Valley
  • Lowell
  • Michigan City

Duneland Conference:
  • Chesterton
  • Crown Point
  • Lake Central
  • La Porte
  • Merrillville
  • Munster
  • Portage
  • Valparaiso

Any thoughts?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 6 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

That would take away all of our rivals out of the conference. I wouldn't want to see us away from LP and Chesterton for sure.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 6 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Sep 6 2010, 05:25 PM) *

That would take away all of our rivals out of the conference. I wouldn't want to see us away from LP and Chesterton for sure.
Schedule La Porte and Chesterton as a non-conference opponent, Slicers and Trojans would still be in City's sectionals.
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Sep 6 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 954

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 6 2010, 05:24 PM) *

2011-2012 conference re-alignment proposal:

Northwest Crossroads Conference:
  • Andrean
  • Griffith
  • Highland
  • Hobart
  • Kankakee Valley
  • Lowell
  • Michigan City
Duneland Conference:
  • Chesterton
  • Crown Point
  • Lake Central
  • La Porte
  • Merrillville
  • Munster
  • Portage
  • Valparaiso
Any thoughts?

Seriously? Please give me one reason why this would make any sense whatsoever... I am hoping you are just punch-drunk after the 55-0 loss to Chesterton and not seriously suggesting this...
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 6 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Sep 6 2010, 06:30 PM) *

Seriously? Please give me one reason why this would make any sense whatsoever... I am hoping you are just punch-drunk after the 55-0 loss to Chesterton and not seriously suggesting this...
For pretty much the same reasons Hobart departed to the now defunct Lake 10 black following the 2002-2003, to correct a competitive imbalance. The Brickies figued when all else fails, lower your standards.

Your probably right, it wouldn't make any sense, the NCC probably wouldn't accept us.
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Sep 6 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 6 2010, 07:54 PM) *

For pretty much the same reasons Hobart departed to the now defunct Lake 10 black following the 2002-2003, to correct a competitive imbalance.

Your probably right, it wouldn't make any sense, the NCC probably wouldn't accept us.

Not to mention the fact that I don't think Kankakee Valley's tractors could do 20 or so round trips between Michigan City and Wheatfield, There was enough concern about the distance between Michigan City and Lake Central when the Indians joined the conference, how is it going to feel when City's shortest trip is an hour.

Hobart was a 4A school playing in a 5A football conference. City is in no danger of falling to 4A status.

There is no reason Michigan City can't correct the "competitive imbalance" you speak of on its own. It is just kind of shocking to hear you say something like that, considering you are generally sound in your sports conversation on here...
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Sep 6 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

I would never, ever advocate for the lowering of standards in ANY realm, particularly high school sports. Lowering standards absolutely sends the wrong message. You just have to work harder at being better. Simple as that. There is NO reason why City can't succeed in football. It's just going to take a lot of work. Just simply saying how strong the Pop Warner program isn't good enough. Not by a longshot. This goes way past Pop Warner. It's about developing line play, where football games are won and lost. In this department, City's clearly lacking or at best inconsistent. Because Pop Warner -- a wonderful program which serves multiple purposes -- has a weight restriction City's behind the curve when it comes to that. I really, truthfully, honestly think it's as simple as that. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I don't think so.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 7 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Sep 7 2010, 12:19 AM) *

I would never, ever advocate for the lowering of standards in ANY realm, particularly high school sports. Lowering standards absolutely sends the wrong message. You just have to work harder at being better. Simple as that. There is NO reason why City can't succeed in football. It's just going to take a lot of work. Just simply saying how strong the Pop Warner program isn't good enough. Not by a longshot. This goes way past Pop Warner. It's about developing line play, where football games are won and lost. In this department, City's clearly lacking or at best inconsistent. Because Pop Warner -- a wonderful program which serves multiple purposes -- has a weight restriction City's behind the curve when it comes to that. I really, truthfully, honestly think it's as simple as that. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I don't think so.

Much also depends on how that athlete turns out academically and socially. Don't matter how many touchdowns you can score, how fast you can run, how high you can jump, how far you can throw or how well you can shoot. Flunk all your classes and/or make the wrong decisions and act like a misfit, just forget about playing sports.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 9 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

When Elston and Rogers consolidated why did Michigan City High School decide to go to the Duneland Conference (Rogers) and not remain in the Northern Indiana conference (Elston)?

Rogers did not become members of the Duneland until 1972, I've seen records of Elston being in the Northern Indiana conference dating back to 1927. Perhaps Michigan City made a blunder by not remaining in the NIC.

I was told that the reason that the reason Rogers came into existance and was constructed in the first place is that when the 1970 cencus was taken that it was projected that Michigan City was going to have a population of over 100,000 by the year 2000. When it finally dawned of everyone that it was never going to come close to happening they consolidated. I find it unbelievable that the people of Michigan City actually bought into that premise. Where is everybody?

+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Sep 9 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 9 2010, 10:32 AM) *

When Elston and Rogers consolidated why did Michigan City High School decide to go to the Duneland Conference (Rogers) and not remain in the Northern Indiana conference (Elston)?

Rogers did not become members of the Duneland until 1972, I've seen records of Elston being in the Northern Indiana conference dating back to 1927. Perhaps Michigan City made a blunder by not remaining in the NIC.

I was told that the reason that the reason Rogers came into existance and was constructed in the first place is that when the 1970 cencus was taken that it was projected that Michigan City was going to have a population of over 100,000 by the year 2000. When it finally dawned of everyone that it was never going to come close to happening they consolidated. I find it unbelievable that the people of Michigan City actually bought into that premise. Where is everybody?

This suggestion that we are in the wrong conference is really quite sad. Remaining in the NIC would've meant we were the one school in the central timezone and we would be by far the longest trip for anybody in the conference. You think we're going to be better served playing South Bend Washington, Adams, and Clay on a regular basis than playing the elite teams in the Duneland Conference? Are you someone that sees value in City playing Gary Roosevelt each season?

Michigan City belongs with LaPorte, Chesterton, and Valparaiso in the Duneland Conference, which is the premiere conference in Northwest Indiana. You talk about competitive imbalance, well we are one year removed from the Wolves finishing 4-3 in DAC in football, the same record as four other teams, and the team that finished in first, the Wolves took them into the fourth quarter and gave them all they could handle.

The consolidation of Rogers and Elston High Schools didn't have anything to do with some realization in 1994 that we weren't going to have a population of 100,000 by 2000. It had to do with the fact that it was no longer economically feasible to have two high schools when one would suffice. Michigan City was a manufacturing town. When the jobs went to Mexico, China, etc., the population of Michigan City was bound to suffer.

There is no reason Michigan City cannot be successful in athletics. In order for it to happen, there will need to be attitude changes, and I'm not just talking about the attitudes of student-athletes. I'm talking attitudes of coaches, administrators, parents, and the population in general. When people want to decide they all want to work together, the sky is the limit for the Wolves. There are enough resources in this town that there is no reason we can't start stockpiling DAC titles, not to mention state titles.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 13 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #11

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

And MC does have DAC titles and state titles, just not in football, baseball, or basketball. Look at tennis. Go through the Wolves Den and see all the trophies Coach Bruemmer has earned (he has his own cabinet! I know because I put them there!). Look at Swimming, and what about girls volleyball, wrestling, and girls basketball?

Everyone focuses on the "big" sports and says MC is losers. WE ARE NOT! And MC deserves to be in the DAC a lot more than Munster, or Griffith, or Highland, or any other school in Lake County.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:49 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com