Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Few recent observations of the Boulevard
taxthedeer
post Nov 28 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

1. K&M has a new name, SuperSaver or something like that.
2. The new Dollar General is now open at the corner of Woodland and the Boulevard in the former Walgreens building
3. Looks like there's some remodiling activity going on at Subarban Lanes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Nov 30 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Yup, K&M sold about three months back.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 30 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Is it still locally owned?
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Nov 30 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I'm not sure. I'll ask around. They still own East Side Produce though which I consider to have the best meat selection (price and quality) in LaPorte or Porter County.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 30 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

4. The Ramco Mart at the South Shore Tracks is now called GoLo.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Apr 22 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

It was a really nice to the that the Advancing Christ's Kingdom Mininstries of Michigan City has aquired the former Family Dollar building across the street from their present location which was the former Get-A-Way tavern. They've put up new signage and will begin having services there soon. It's been something the have been trying to acheive for quite some time.

I also notice remodeling work being done to the former WashOne1 Carwash at the Carrol Ave. intersection across from McDonalds. They appeared to be putting on a new roof and have removed all the old equipment but am assuming that it will remain a car was because they have not removed the sign out front and do not know if the Woodland and Barker Rd. location will undergo reconstruction as well.

The Boulevard reconstruction project is in full swing as the entire stretch of sidewalk along the west portion has been completely removed and new traffic signals with new modernized crosswalk signals are about to be installed in addition to tree planters along the median.

Sorry to see the "King Gyros" building at the Eastgate Plaza is looking for a new tennant. I guess the BBQ shack resturaunt that originally located there has relocated to the former "Gratty's" location on Franklin St.
+Quote Post
CSchwanke
post Apr 22 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 944

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Apr 22 2011, 11:02 AM) *

It was a really nice to the that the Advancing Christ's Kingdom Mininstries of Michigan City has aquired the former Family Dollar building across the street from their present location which was the former Get-A-Way tavern. They've put up new signage and will begin having services there soon. It's been something the have been trying to acheive for quite some time.

I also notice remodeling work being done to the former WashOne1 Carwash at the Carrol Ave. intersection across from McDonalds. They appeared to be putting on a new roof and have removed all the old equipment but am assuming that it will remain a car was because they have not removed the sign out front and do not know if the Woodland and Barker Rd. location will undergo reconstruction as well.

The Boulevard reconstruction project is in full swing as the entire stretch of sidewalk along the east portion has been completely removed and new traffic signals with new modernized crosswalk signals are about to be installed in addition to tree planters along the median.

Sorry to see the "King Gyros" building at the Eastgate Plaza is looking for a new tennant. I guess the BBQ shack resturaunt that originally located there has relocated to the former "Gratty's" location on Franklin St.

The church will be using that building for classrooms and such and not have actual services there. Services for the church will still be held across the street in the old building. That is what I was told.

The car wash is now owned by the original owner and he is re-doing all the equipment and it will reopen as a new car wash soon. The building at Woodland and Barker is owned by a local bank and is still for sale.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Apr 22 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CSchwanke @ Apr 22 2011, 12:25 PM) *

The church will be using that building for classrooms and such and not have actual services there. Services for the church will still be held across the street in the old building. That is what I was told.

The car wash is now owned by the original owner and he is re-doing all the equipment and it will reopen as a new car wash soon. The building at Woodland and Barker is owned by a local bank and is still for sale.
It's nice to see that both of these previously vacant properties are going to be put back into use. I'm really suprised that anybody hasn't snatched up to other self coin-op Car Wash location at Woodland and Barker Rd. that would be a perfect seasonal turnkey operation for someone looking to start up their own business.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 11 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Sorry to see that J&J's Pizza Shack has closed, they had good pizza. One less place to get something to eat along the Boulevard.

I'm hoping that once the reconstruction project is complete thing might pick up and when who ever becomes the new mayor will get some sort of new building ordinance passed of the long abandoned business properties along the Boulevard to be demolished.
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jun 11 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,048

Does anyone know.... as a part of the renovation/upgrade of the light poles, stop lights, etc.. are they going to remove some of the power lines/utility lines that run over the Boulevard? I'm always amazed at how many lines crisscross that road. Seems like they need some streamlining.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jun 13 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jun 11 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Sorry to see that J&J's Pizza Shack has closed, they had good pizza. One less place to get something to eat along the Boulevard.

I'm hoping that once the reconstruction project is complete thing might pick up and when who ever becomes the new mayor will get some sort of new building ordinance passed of the long abandoned business properties along the Boulevard to be demolished.

I believe J&J's Pizza moved into the old M&M Restaurant building. I drive by there everyday and their sign is now on the old M&M. Not certain when they will re-open.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 14 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jun 13 2011, 09:04 AM) *

I believe J&J's Pizza moved into the old M&M Restaurant building. I drive by there everyday and their sign is now on the old M&M. Not certain when they will re-open.

They are open now. My friend just ate there last Thursday, and now they also have dine-in so you can eat your wonderful JJ's Pizza right there, fresh and hot!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 14 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #13

I gotta say, I like the new looks of the medians. It has a much more small town USA feel with the treelined streets.
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jun 14 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #14

I really like the new lightposts and stop lights as well... look right by the car wash to see one of the new ones.. I think it'll look pretty!
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jun 15 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 14 2011, 03:21 PM) *

I gotta say, I like the new looks of the medians. It has a much more small town USA feel with the treelined streets.

Truth. I dig them, too.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 19 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...a0449053511.txt

Completion date for Blvd. project gets pushed back

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — The projected completion date for the Michigan Boulevard beautification project has been pushed back 15 days due to an operators strike.

Employees of Operating Engineers Local 150 are back at work after being on strike for a number of weeks. That strike caused Woodruff & Sons, the city contractor working on the project, to cease operations on Michigan Boulevard.

Instead of a projected Sept. 11 completion date, City Engineer Boyd Phelps says the target date is Sept. 26.

Woodruff & Sons has subcontractors, but Phelps said Local 150 belongs to the Woodruff & Sons union.

“The strike affected a lot of jobs in Northwest Indiana,” Phelps said. “(During the strike) the equipment was sitting out on the Boulevard for some time.”

Until Sept. 26, Woodruff and Sons will work on installing the final trees in the median, improving the concrete and paving.

All traffic signals and signs also are planned to be in place by Sept. 26.

“(The project) is coming along well,” Phelps said.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 29 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #17

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...8d005743769.txt

Year’s end target date to finish Mich. Blvd. work

By Amanda Jacobson
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:10 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Officials originally projected this week as the completion date of work along Michigan Boulevard. Now, the target date is late November to early December.

That’s according to Chris Holth, American Structurepoint resident-project representative, who said Tuesday an exact completion date has not been set, adding there is a lot more work to be done before winter arrives.

“We still have paving to do. We need to complete some concrete work and put down a little more sod,” Holth said. “The main thing is a planter box we are constructing between South Carroll and Van Spanje (avenues) on the east end.”

Holth also said there are more trees to be planted along both sides of the street.

Minimal complaints have been received by the construction company, he said, adding “the residents have been really good.”

+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Sep 30 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #18

The new stoplight.... arms? (for lack of a better word) were really rockin' and rollin' in the wind today! I saw the one at 8th and Blvd. really flex... kinda scary. smile.gif I'm sure they researched utility poles that were appropriate for our weather conditions, but it made me think. smile.gif
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Oct 1 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Sep 30 2011, 04:24 PM) *
The new stoplight.... arms? (for lack of a better word) were really rockin' and rollin' in the wind today! I saw the one at 8th and Blvd. really flex... kinda scary. smile.gif I'm sure they researched utility poles that were appropriate for our weather conditions, but it made me think. smile.gif

I bet no research went into the poles... Wouldn't surprise me if we lost a few this winter.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 09:25 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com