IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City wants to combine public TV channels, Opponents contend mayor, BOW trampling First Amendment
Southsider2k12
post Oct 15 2008, 06:48 AM
Post #41

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Oct 15 2008, 06:57 AM) *

WEFM does a credible job of covering local issues, but hey...Ron Miller can't be everywhere.
Thanks for observation. We do put a lot of effort and resources into news gathering as we do at the other stations we own. Having been a former assistant news director of a major Chicago station and in small market radio, we think this is important. Long ago I taught the radio news course at Valparaiso University although my principal assignment there was to teach management and marketing.

Keep your comments coming and let us know where we can add to our coverage of news. Tom Burns, President, Michigan City FM Broadcasters

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the backround!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 15 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 10

Hey Tom! Welcome to the board, we're glad to have you here!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Oct 20 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 15 2008, 07:48 AM) *

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the backround!

A major new development for New Buffalo was announced late last week in St. Joseph as part of the permit procedures. I wrote our story for airing Friday morning which we followed up on over the weekend. It is interesting other media in Michigan City only had the story this morning. Some weeks ago an executive in the local newspaper newsroom admitted they monitor WEFM for news. But since the news broke near the weekend it apparently caught them short staffed. Tom Burns
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 20 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #44

We scoop the ND on a lot of stuff here too. We'll talk about something, then a few days later it appears in the paper. Don't know if they monitor us for "news worthy" discussions or not, but I find it funny that we talk about somethings here before they hit the papers.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 20 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #45

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47680.47

home : local news : local news
10/18/2008 11:00:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
Show host can resume taping with ALCo

Dave Hawk
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Public-access producer David Werdine's videotaping privileges have been reinstated by Access La Porte County Director of Operations Bart Lombard.

Werdine on Friday released a letter from Lombard dated Oct. 13 that said, "It has been roughly four weeks since your Sept. 9 incident prevented such videotaping privileges and you have offered a subsequent apology, so it is hoped you recognize and fully understand that any lingering concerns will only be resolved in a calm, respectful demeanor and manner."

Lombard concluded the three-paragraph letter by saying, "While recognizing that at no time physical violence and/or personal threats can be ignored or tolerated on these premises, as director of this organization I am confident the cooling-off period as well as this good-faith initiative is appropriate."

In September, Lombard banned the longtime producer, who only occasionally has taped his show "Perspective" at the ALCo studios on East Eighth Street in recent years, after a confrontation after a ALCo board meeting at which Lombard accused Werdine of threatening him. Werdine admitted engaging in a verbal confrontation, but denied making any threats.

Werdine sent an apology to Lombard, saying, "I accept full responsibility for not having chosen a proper venue for any such dialogue."

But in that letter, Werdine went on to tell Lombard "this whole affair stems from your recent unilateral changes of protocol at ALCo. Those proposals present serious roadblocks to the very existence of all local option programming and are unprecedented and unreasonable as to hours of program presentation and studio access times, not to mention any fees yet to be announced."

He called on Lombard to post ALCo board minutes and spending information on the Internet, and broadcast ALCo board meetings the way it carries so many government meetings on local cable television.

Werdine also released a copy of an earlier letter, dated Oct. 6, from attorney Edward Volk of Newby, Lewis, Kaminski & Jones, La Porte, who represents Lombard, in which Volk said his apology letter would be forwarded to the ALCo board.

But in the meantime, Volk wrote, "I admonish you not to engage in any further correspondence or harassment of Mr. Lombard."

Werdine also released an open letter in response to Volk and Lombard, remarking that Lombard "construed my letter of apology as harassment."

That led to this week's decision by Lombard to allow Werdine to resume using the ALCo studios for recording-public access programs to be shown on Channel 99.

However, Lombard, who was given authority over Channel 99 by the city of Michigan City, is developing new programming guidelines that could shift all public-access programming to the hours of midnight to 6 a.m. He gained city approval to manage Channel 99 and wants to have uniform schedules for all presentations of local government board and commission meetings on Channel 99 and the local government channel, Channel 97.

Werdine said he would like to record interviews with school board and county office candidates in time to present those shows before the Nov. 4 election. However, Lombard and co-host Donna Kavanagh already have prepared a scheduled of interviews for the coming weeks.

q

Contact Managing Editor Dave Hawk at dhawk@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Oct 21 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 827

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 20 2008, 10:26 AM) *

We scoop the ND on a lot of stuff here too. We'll talk about something, then a few days later it appears in the paper. Don't know if they monitor us for "news worthy" discussions or not, but I find it funny that we talk about somethings here before they hit the papers.

Long ago when I started out in radio in northwest Illlinois I was told by someone wiser that if I wanted the news I should go to a certain restaurant at mid-morning where anyone with an announcement would appear for coffee. One cup of coffee could produce more news than running all over the city.
That proved true, and I suspect City by the Lake is the present counterpart of that.

Tom Burns
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 21 2008, 07:08 AM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Ang, not only do we discuss issues, we usually arrive at the best solution, if only that would be implemented!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 21 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Oct 21 2008, 05:50 AM) *

Long ago when I started out in radio in northwest Illlinois I was told by someone wiser that if I wanted the news I should go to a certain restaurant at mid-morning where anyone with an announcement would appear for coffee. One cup of coffee could produce more news than running all over the city.
That proved true, and I suspect City by the Lake is the present counterpart of that.

Tom Burns

I think we all bring a nice piece to the bigger puzzle. Its hard for any small organization to be able to cover the bases of rumor and news. I think each group has the niche they fit in, and they bring that bit to the whole. I have never viewed anyone else as competition or the enemy because I firmly believe we all compliment each other for the benefit of Michigan City. I really enjoy the spirit of cooperation and friendliness that I have experienced with all of the different media groups here in town. I think it makes for a better news experience for the town because is brings more info to the masses.

Personally I pay attention to both WIMS as well as WEFM and the News Dispatch. I also like to catch Dennis Metheny and News and Views when I can. Taking all of that information allows a person to really process the community around them.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 21 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 21 2008, 07:08 AM) *

Ang, not only do we discuss issues, we usually arrive at the best solution, if only that would be implemented!

AMEN!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Nov 6 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 72

At the Michigan City Common Council meeting tonight, Phil Jankowski twice called Bart Lombard's acts unconscionable and then proposed to prohibit all payments by the City of Michigan City to ALCO during 2009 if they fail to provide reasonable opportunities for public access television. It passed 8 to 1 and will be an amendment to the upcoming 2009 city budget. Jankowski is calling for Michigan City programming to have "reasonable opportunities" to be aired Monday thru Friday 6 to 9pmand also "reasonable opportunities" for studio recording during the week. The City Controller would be in charge of monitoring the situation.

Jankowski did also mention that Bart Lombard and his father are both on some sort of board that appropriates funds for ALCO? Did I hear that right? He said that someone from the Council should be serving on that board. If anyone knows what board that is, I would appreciate it...I'm going to have to go through my tape tommorrow morning to see if he named the specific.

I put the reasonable opportunites in quotes because I never understand how you can draft legislation with vagaries in the wording. How do you enforce that when I can gather any five of us...and we will come up with a different definition of "reasonable opportunities". Too bad this is coming down for ALCO after they did an AMAZING job with their interviews and information heading into November 4th. My hat's off to the job they did with all the candidates and forums...interesting to see where all this goes.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 6 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #51

Great info Johnny! I think it was pretty unanimous around here that we felt the City was trying to silence some of its harshest critics, and I am glad to see the Council felt the same way. The explanation of not having enough time space, so they were going to go to one LESS channel rang really hollow with me.

And I agree with you 100%. Because I had the TV on for coverage, I tuned into ALCO first and they did a GREAT job getting on guests, and having results as quick as humanly possible. I have always thought Bart Lombard was an excellent interviewer as well. Having done some radio a long, long, time ago, it isn't as easy as it looks to get someone to talk.

Out of curiosity, who as the voice of against this?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 6 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #52

This really is a story that should be getting a lot more enk and ink. Openness of media is a big issue to anyone interested in the restoration and preservation of human rights.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Nov 6 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #53

McKee voted against it...and to be fair to him...he gave a quick speech about not wanting to "shoot ourselves in the foot" and run the risk of losing access all together. He implied that ALCO could have the ability to take their ball and go home...nobody else seemed really worried about the aspect of losing ALCO, so I don't know if it's a legitimate threat.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Nov 6 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 39

Our vote did not pull funding away from ALCO. All it did is put a few parameters around scheduling for public access programming. We are paying for it and I do believe it is a service to the taxpayers. ALCO is a self governing body (no appointments from the City or County). We are not blaming ALCO for anything we just need mechanisms in place if we are going to write the check. I think that is feasible. We don't have copies of the ALCO contract or financial records yet. This will also help. I think this vote was a step in the right direction. There hasn't been any changes to programming, that is a true statement but to ensure fairness we want specific timeframes allocated for our community producers.

Angie
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 6 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #55

Good for you guys Angie! Its a step in the right direction. I am very happy to see it was pretty much unanimous as well, if you include the outside considerations. Thanks to you all for protecting our voices!
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Nov 6 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #56

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 7 2008, 11:52 AM) *

Ex-Officio Board member? What office does Stephanie Oberlie currrently hold that would put her on this board?

from wiki:

She also sits on the Michigan City Enrichment Corp. they decide how about a million dollars of Blue Chip money is spent yearly.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 7 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #57

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Nov 6 2008, 07:47 PM) *

She also sits on the Michigan City Enrichment Corp. they decide how about a million dollars of Blue Chip money is spent yearly.

Is she the "Stephanie Adams" listed on this webpage?

http://www.emichigancity.com/cityhall/boards/mccec/index.htm

I seem to recall hearing she doesn't live in Michigan City -- doesn't that preclude her from being appointed to Michigan City government -- or does being blood-kin to the mayor excuse that requirement? rolleyes.gif

Not to mention -- what is the purpose of the Enrichment Corp. to begin with? It just seems like another way for city insiders to give relatives a paycheck. Why couldn't that money be distributed by the City Council (who at least are answerable to the people every four years) instead of this additional layer of comparatively faceless bureaucracy?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 7 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 8 2008, 10:42 AM) *
yet another family on the MC family welfare plan

have they no shame?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Nov 18 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #59

Very interesting Council meeting tonight, Bart Lombard was on hand and gave a 30 minute presentation/question answer session about ALCO, Channel 99 and the Council. He said he currently has NO control over 99, and it is still owned by the city...he has been working with the Mayor and the Board of Works on the process of running the station.

The midnight to 6am worries were caused because of a peliminary schedule that ALCO put together that showcased how they would be able to run an obscene amount of meetings. They had to block things out in 3 hour groupings because they didn't know how long the meetings would run...he also pointed out that while there was a City Council meeting tonight, there was also a county meeting starting a half hour later. They regularly have to decide if they are going to cut off the original meeting, join the second meeting in progress or just suddenly switch broadcasts. I guess that kinda answered my questions about how combining the stations would increase local content.

He seemed pretty upset that by providing information and scenarios to the Board of Works...he became the victim of threats and abuse by people. He was also concerned that his funding for the government run channel (ALCO) would be threatened by the content being played on the access channel (99) when he has no input on what is being played there. He said Channel 99 was a "newspaper with no publisher".

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 19 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #60

So all of the reasons we were fed for this "merger" to happen, like we all thought, were total BS. The quality of the content of the two stations is going to suffer, all for the wanted objective of silencing the loudest critics around. That's a damned shame.

I feel bad for Lombard though. Why would anyone threaten/abuse him? This isn't his fault. Not to mention the idea of threatening/abusing someone over this stuff is just ridiculous and borderline high school bully. This isn't even his fault in the first place. Hopefully the Council keeps peoples feet to the fire to fix this.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:29 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com