Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...72500154790.txt

Poor soil contributes to Washington Street's failing vegetation

By Lois Tomaszewski
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:06 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Grass wasn't growing and trees were doing poorly along a stretch of Washington Street upgraded in 2007. Finding the answer required taking a look at the soil used to create the planting spaces.

Michigan City Forester Frank Seilheimer unpacked a cardboard box filled with plastic bags that separated all the materials sorted out from four soil samples taken along the street. Sand, very little organic matter, gravel, sewer pipe, concrete and brick were prevalent in the planting areas, he told members of the Board of Public Works Monday.

The problem for the poor condition of grass and trees was not due to improper planting, but related directly with the type of soil used to fill in these areas, Seilheimer said. He said he observed that trees were exhibiting signs of nutrient deficiencies and grass was patchy or completely void of any vegetation.

"This soil is very well drained with little ability to hold moisture for an extended period of time," Seilheimer wrote in a recommendation to the board. "This over exaggerates the effect of time between rainfalls and lack of a high level of additional efforts needed to maintain adequate growth of both grass and trees."

Click here to find out more!
To fix the problem, "the unacceptable soil and plant material would have to be removed and replaced." Only this solution would bring this stretch of roadway into the same caliber as improvement projects in the works in Elston Grove neighborhood and the completed Michigan Boulevard project.

As proposed, Seilheimer said the top six inches of unsuitable soil would be removed and replaced with a clean, viable soil. The grade would be tapered from the sidewalk to the curb. He estimates 1,200 cubic yards of poor soil would be removed and 6,700 square yards of sod planted in place. In addition, quality soil would be backfilled to improve conditions for the 120 trees to be replanted along the roadway.

"Large existing trees would not be removed and special consideration will be given to those areas to ensure their longevity," Seilheimer said.

For Washington Street, the soil repair costs are estimated at $162,000. "That is about $10,000 per block," Seilheimer said.

There are seven other streets that were included in the original 2007 project which also are showing signs of poor growth of grass and trees. To add Greene, Warren, Williams, Ripley, Ann, Tilliton and Charles streets to the project adds an estimated $57,000 to the cost.

City councilman Donald Pryzbylinski was present at the meeting and told the board that Washington Street should be considered a major corridor. He pledged to support funding for the project when it comes before the city council.

The project was referred to the city engineer and the planning department for further study.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 9 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #2

So I have to say, with the way finances are locally, I really hope we don't spend $162,000 literally on dirt. There have got to be more sensible alternatives.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 9 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

They should go to some construction site and take it away from there. Some place where they are digging out a basement or something. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

Here's a thought. Can't Michigan City get free mulch and compost from the LaPorte County Solid Waste District? If it's not free, surely they can get the product for well less than the full commercial price quoted. On second thought, I bet that's where the company who quoted the work will get their mulch to amend the soil!!!

Compost Rates and Tipping Fees

I filled 6 raised flower beds and made a mound in the front of my house with this mulch. We also purchased wood chips. I have a trailer Michigan City can use if theirs need repair. laugh.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 9 2012, 12:34 PM) *
So I have to say, with the way finances are locally, I really hope we don't spend $162,000 literally on dirt. There have got to be more sensible alternatives.

That amount sounds way to low. I think a study is in order. I didn't read the full article. Just noticed a study is underway.

The project was referred to the city engineer and the planning department for further study.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Heck if they are talking about $162,000 for improvements, I'd rather see them fill them with sand and plant dune grass in there. Go native. It would be waaaaay cheaper, and way more responsible in consideration of current economic conditions. Asking the Cityzens to kick in their hard earned money for dirt is an embarrassingly bad idea right now.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:43 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com