> Parade needs public restrooms
eric.hanke
post Jul 7 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

Parade needs public restrooms
My family attended the Michigan City Summer Festival Parade Sunday and enjoyed it very much - until my 3-year-old daughter had to go to the restroom.

I took her to many places and was told that we could not use the restrooms. Needless to say she had an accident. She was upset.

As I sat there I saw three more children crying with their clothing wet, also. Why would a city have a gathering like this and not provide Port A Pots, knowing that people would be drinking to keep hydrated and then not have a place for them to go?

Kenneth Schuman

Michigan City

We can't afford public restrooms...

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 8 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

We watched the parade for years as kids - never a problem.

Dude needs a contigency plan - and a freaking hanky.

No, not you Eric. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

How in the heck would you get restrooms over a couple of mile stretch for a couple of hours worth of time?
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jul 10 2009, 03:50 PM) *
How in the heck would you get restrooms over a couple of mile stretch for a couple of hours worth of time?
  1. They city could solicit businesses and pay them a "marginal" fee to allow the public use of their facilities.
  2. The city could ask for proposals from local portable restroom vendors for bids for public facilities. These could be placed in strategic positions along the parade route.
These are both easy options that would make the parade a more family oriented event. Hell, the city could even make an all day event out of it and have food vendors on side streets thorough the parade.

Additionally, parents of little ones could also use some common sense and plan ahead. I know that when Frieda and I take our kids to the parade, we teeter-totter between watching and participating, we choose our location on the route based on several factors. These include distance to the car (for diaper changes), amount of shade or flat area (for chairs or strollers), and access to public facilities to purchase food/drink or use the restroom in a timely manner.

While we don't have to worry about diaper changes, and haven't for quite some time (WHEW), we almost always still plan our seating location on a combination of these factors.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 10 2009, 04:44 PM) *
  1. They city could solicit businesses and pay them a "marginal" fee to allow the public use of their facilities.
  2. The city could ask for proposals from local portable restroom vendors for bids for public facilities. These could be placed in strategic positions along the parade route.
These are both easy options that would make the parade a more family oriented event. Hell, the city could even make an all day event out of it and have food vendors on side streets thorough the parade.

Additionally, parents of little ones could also use some common sense and plan ahead. I know that when Frieda and I take our kids to the parade, we teeter-totter between watching and participating, we choose our location on the route based on several factors. These include distance to the car (for diaper changes), amount of shade or flat area (for chairs or strollers), and access to public facilities to purchase food/drink or use the restroom in a timely manner.

While we don't have to worry about diaper changes, and haven't for quite some time (WHEW), we almost always still plan our seating location on a combination of these factors.

The big question would be how much extra money we are talking about...
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jul 10 2009, 06:02 PM) *

The big question would be how much extra money we are talking about...

No idea. But isn't it worth knowing before shooting holes in the idea? Getting proposals does not cost much.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 10 2009, 07:13 PM) *

No idea. But isn't it worth knowing before shooting holes in the idea? Getting proposals does not cost much.

This is the town of studies. I am sure we have a couple of hundred thousand dollars we don't need wink.gif
+Quote Post
reddevil
post Jul 10 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 926

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 8 2009, 02:44 AM) *

We watched the parade for years as kids - never a problem.

Dude needs a contigency plan - and a freaking hanky.

No, not you Eric. smile.gif

I agree with you on this.

WHY don't those businesses let people use their restrooms? If you can answer that, I'd say that might be your answer as to why you don't want to use portapotties either.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:12 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com