> Attack attempt at Striebel Pond
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

From the MPCD's facebook page

On June 19th 2012 a female was out jogging at Striebel Pond located at Earl Road and Hitchcock in Michigan City. While the female was jogging two men tried to speak with her but the female didn’t know exactly what was said as she ran past them.

After a couple laps the female turned a corner and one of the men appeared near the wood line and tried pulling her toward the woods. The other male was approaching from the rear and before she was pulled into the woods she was able to break free and run to her car allowing her to get away.

Both men were described as white males being in their 20’s. One of the men was wearing a white hat with black writing, a gray Nike T-Shirt, and denim shorts. The second male has brown hair, wearing a red T-shirt, and denim shorts.

The Michigan City Police Department initially received this information after the event occurred, but the officer who took the call failed to initiate a report, to inform this urgent matter to the Detective Division and to get this information out to the public as required.

On the heels of this event the Michigan City Police Department will be implementing a TWITTER ACCOUNT so vital information can immediately be broadcasted the public (Twitter followers) of dangerous situations, this will also inform followers of incidents such as prison/jail escapes, Armed & Dangerous persons, Amber Alerts, and much more. To take part, create a FREE Twitter account and search for Michigan City Police Department, then follow.

The Michigan City police department is asking that anyone who may have seen or heard anything to please contact Det. Kay Pliske at 219-984-3221 Ext. #315 as she is actively investigating the case. There will be aggressive patrolling around the Striebel Pond area and other parks in our community.

The Michigan City police department as a safety reminder asks everyone to be aware of your surroundings and to follow these Abduction Prevention tips:

1. Buddy System, don’t go alone.
2. If you plan to jog alone, stay in public areas also carry and personal alarm system and mace or pepper spray
3. Don’t impede your situational awareness by wearing headphones; you might not be able to hear someone approaching.
4. Walk in open areas and try to avoid wooded or secluded areas.
5. Walk in well lit areas only.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #2

I am really happy to see the MCPD realize the mistake of not taking a report initially and then taking quick and public action to make sure this doesn't happen again, and to try to keep people safe.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #3

Comments from the victim's facebook page.

"Well everyone knows I am not the type of person to put all my business on FB but I had something happen to me today that I need to share. Around 3-3:30 I was running Striebel Pond on Earl Rd. I know many of you walk here also so PLEASE read. There were 2 guys who I had passed a few times that were trying to get my attention, but I had head phones on and I was not paying attention to them. They were wearing street clothes which I thought was odd from the beginning. In the far left corner these 2 guys tried to grab me. I was vary lucky to get away. I kicked 1 and pulled away from the other and ran to my car! These guys were both white around 20-25 one was wearing a gray Nike shirt, white hat, and blue jean shorts. The other had a buzzed head, red shirt, and blue jean shorts also. I did call the good old MCPD, but because I was not harmed they would not file a report, but said they would “watch” the area. Please be careful and do not walk alone."

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #4

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-changes-for-...0,5454135.story

Changes for Michigan City police after jogger scare
By Don Wagner dwagner@wsbt.com WSBT-TV

12:14 p.m. EDT, June 20, 2012

MICHIGAN CITY – Michigan City police are about to make some changes after a jogger narrowly escaped a dangerous situation.

Michigan City Police Chief of Services Royce Williams says a woman was jogging Tuesday at Striebel Pond in the area of Earl Road and Hitchcock when two men tried to speak with her. But the woman didn’t know exactly what was said as she ran past them.

After a couple of laps, the jogger turned a corner when one of the men appeared near the wood line and tried pulling her toward the woods. The other man was approaching from the rear. However, before she was pulled into the woods, she was able to break free and run to her car, allowing her to get away.

Both men were described as white males in their 20’s. One of the men was wearing a white hat with black writing, a gray Nike T-shirt and denim shorts. The second man has brown hair, was wearing a red T-shirt and denim shorts.

The Michigan City Police Department initially received the information after the event occurred, but Williams says the officer who took the call failed to initiate a report, to inform this urgent matter to the Detective Division and to get this information out to the public, as required.

Because of what happened, Williams says police will be implementing a Twitter account, so vital information can immediately be broadcast to the public (Twitter followers). Williams says this will also tell Twitter followers of incidents such as prison/jail escapes, armed and dangerous persons, Amber Alerts and more.

To take part, Williams says you can create a free Twitter account, search for Michigan City Police Department, and follow.

MCPD is asking anyone who may have seen or heard anything, to please contact Det. Kay Pliske at (219) 984-3221, ext. 315. Pliske is actively investigating the case.

Meanwhile, Williams says there will be aggressive patrolling around the Striebel Pond area and other parts in the community.

As a safety reminder, Michigan City police are asking us to be aware of our surroundings and to follow these abduction prevention tips:

Buddy System – don’t go alone
If you plan to jog alone, stay in public areas, carry a personal alarm system, mace or pepper spray
Don’t impede your situational awareness by wearing headphones. You might not be able to hear someone approaching
Walk in open areas and try to avoid wooded or secluded areas
Walk in well-lit areas only

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 21 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #5

The promised MCPD twitter page is up, follow them at @MichiganCityPol.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 22 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...cf955536825.txt

Police investigate attempted abduction

By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Police are investigating the attempted abduction Tuesday of a 27-year-old woman who was jogging between 3 and 3:30 p.m. in the area of Striebel Pond at Earl Road and Hitchcock Street.

According to a Michigan City Police Department report, the woman noticed two males appearing to be in their 20s walking around the pond. To her, they looked out of place because they wore street clothes and did not appear to be exercising, she told police.

As she jogged nearer to them, according to the report, the men appeared to speak to her but she did not hear what they said because she was listening to music.

She continued to run and encountered the men again at the southeast end of the park and one of them grabbed her and attempted to pull her toward the woods. When she saw the other man approaching from the back, she broke free and ran all the way to the north parking lot, entered her car, drove home and called her husband.

The suspects are described as males in their 20s. One was wearing a white hat with black writing, a gray Nike T-shirt and denim shorts; the other had brown hair and wore a red T-shirt and denim shorts.

According to police, the department received the initial report of this incident at about 5:30 p.m.

The woman said she then talked with a family friend who is a deputy with the La Porte County Sheriff's Ofice who convinced her that a report should be made and she contacted Michigan City Police again, at about 10:35 p.m.

The woman told police when she called five hours ago, an officer told her no report was needed since she was not injured and she could not identify the men. She, however, said she might be able to identify them in a line-up.

"The officer who took the (first report) failed to initiate a report to inform the Detective Division of this urgent matter and to get this information out to the public, as required," Michigan City Chief of Services Royce Williams said in a press release.

"On the heels of this event, the Michigan City Police Department will be implementing a Twitter account," Williams said.

Police want vital information about dangerous situations to be disseminated to the public as soon as possible. Police will use the Twitter account to make announcements about abductions and attempted abductions, Amber Alerts, armed and dangerous persons, the escape of prisoners from jails the Indiana State Prison and other situations and issues. To check for police announcements, create a free Twitter account and search for the official account of the Michigan City Police Department and follow.

Police ask that anyone who may have seen or heard anything about this incident to call Detective Kay Pliske at (219) 874-3221, ext. 315. She is investigating the case.

"There will be aggressive patrolling around the Striebel Pond area and at other parks in our community," Williams said.

The Michigan City Police Department reminds everyone to be constantly aware of their surroundings and to follow these abduction-prevention tips:

• Use a buddy system. Don't go running or walking alone.

• If you do plan to jog alone, stay in public areas and carry a personal alarm system and mace or pepper spray.

• Don't impede your personal awareness of your surroundings by wearing headphones, which could prevent you from hearing someone approaching.

• Walk in open areas and try to avoid wooded or secluded areas.

• Walk only in well-lighted areas.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:44 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com