Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=14794

Board Considers Sidewalk Dining
Sahara Restaurant will discuss options with city attorney.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Diners at a new downtown Michigan City restaurant could soon enjoy their hummus under the moonlight if the city's Board of Works approves a request to seat customers outside.

They might not be able to drink alcohol, however.

"I think it's really important," said Moe Mroueh, owner of Sahara Restaurant, 1701 Franklin St. "A lot of people come into town and are used to eating like this. This will make our restaurant more appealing to people driving down Franklin Street."

The Board of Works asked Mroueh to meet with city attorneys to figure out a way to indemnify the city from liability in case a patron is injured while dining on the sidewalk.

Attorneys will also discuss the fact serving alcohol on a city sidewalk is illegal under Alcoholic Beverage Commission laws. Mayor Chuck Oberlie said such an environment makes limiting access by minors difficult.

Someone recently pointed out to city code inspector Russ Hatfield that customers had been dining outside the restaurant and drinking alcohol, but Hatfield said in response he simply told Mroueh to come before the board for official permission to seat people outside.

"I just didn't think it was a problem," Mroueh said. "But we have to follow the rules so we'll do that. I encourage anyone with a restaurant to (introduce outside dining)."

Mroueh formerly owned the Mediterranean restaurant Eat At Moe's, 3301 Franklin St., but closed that and opened Sahara farther north.

Oberlie on Monday lauded Mroueh and his establishments.

"This is a very high quality restaurant and a great dining experience," Oberlie said. "I think this is something we want to encourage."

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Go, Moe! What does Maxines do, bytheway? Are their chairs just out there for decoration?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 17 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 17 2008, 01:11 PM) *

Go, Moe! What does Maxines do, bytheway? Are their chairs just out there for decoration?

Yep, the tables and chairs are just decorative at Maxine's. They are bolted down so they can't be moved (there are even glasses and such bolted to the tabletops!)

There's a mexican restaurant near Franklin and 9th, El Nopal, which would be a great place for outdoor seating. There's already a patio area there. I asked the manager of El Nopal if they ever considered doing outside seating there, and she said they had looked into it, but it would require patrons to have to go through the restaurant to get to the outdoor area (probably the liquor/minors thing involved here), which would mean they'd have to put in an additional door in the building, and get a waiver from the Historic Review Board, and building permits, and whatever else, so they let it go. Maybe this will have them reconsidering.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #4

I hope they do, and I hope more places do. By the way, Paninininini paninininini has a patio but it is behind the building. I think the new Gratty's does, too.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 18 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

There's a new Gratty's!?!?! Where? Is it owned by the same guy? MAN OH MAN They had the BEST bar food!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 18 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 18 2008, 10:56 AM) *

There's a new Gratty's!?!?! Where? Is it owned by the same guy? MAN OH MAN They had the BEST bar food!

New owners, different menu. I've not tried it yet, but have heard that it's a smokehouse-type menu. Pulled pork, chicken, beef, etc... The person that I work with who has been there said it was really good though.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #7

The new new Gratty's is in the same location as the old new Gratty's, on Franklin just south of the the Azteca grocery store. I think this current owner is married to a Grattenthaler, and it just opened some months ago.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 18 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 18 2008, 12:15 PM) *

New owners, different menu. I've not tried it yet, but have heard that it's a smokehouse-type menu. Pulled pork, chicken, beef, etc... The person that I work with who has been there said it was really good though.

OOh. now we are talking my lunch language!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 18 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49056.27

Sidewalk Cafes
Liability Issues Surface With Restaurant

Editorial

Sidewalk dining is an urban pleasure that can be a relaxing way to spend a lunch hour or even an afternoon. There's nothing like enjoying a meal and a drink and watching the world pass by.

It's a pleasure that's found too infrequently in Michigan City. Obviously, it's not something that can be done year-round, but it's certainly a way to fully embrace the summer sun.

Sidewalk dining is not new. It's been a fixture at many restaurants for years. Major cities like Dallas, New York, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and St. Louis have restaurants that offer sidewalk dining. And right here in Indiana, they're common in Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Highland, Carmel, Evansville, Elkhart, South Bend, Columbus and Valparaiso. So why not Michigan City?

When Sahara Restaurant started offering sidewalk dining on Franklin Street, it was a treat for customers. But one complaint brought an end (temporarily, we hope) to the experience.

But Sahara Restaurant isn't alone. Coffee shops along Wabash Street near Lighthouse Place offer sidewalk dining, and several restaurants have decks and patios so customers can enjoy the outdoors while they eat.

Restaurants shouldn't be discouraged from offering an outdoor experience to customers. It is a unique selling point and an amenity that will attract customers.

City officials, including code inspector Russ Hatfield and Mayor Chuck Oberlie don't see much of a problem with continuing sidewalk dining at Sahara Restaurant, but there are some hoops the business has to jump through to get it going again.

There's nothing wrong with that. Both the restaurant and city must be clear on liability issue in case of injury, and the sidewalks must be kept open so the public can pass by. Still, there's plenty of room for everyone if the proper planning is taken.

As Michigan City works to make itself more attractive to visitors by creating a grand North End, the planners involved in that shouldn't overlook the little things like sidewalk dining that make visits to the restaurants downtown enjoyable.

Our Opinion
The Issue: When one restaurant wanted to use the sidewalk, city officials discovered they must resolve liability issues first.

Our Opinion: Outdoor tables at city restaurants add enjoyment to the dining experience, and Michigan City should find a way to accommodate sidewalk cafes.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #10

I like the open door concept at Moe's. maybe they could expand into the next storefront.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 19 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #11

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=58292.02

City Must Act More Quickly To Assist Restaurant
To the powers that be in Michigan City: Please wake up and work with those who are willing to take the risk and invest their time and money in this city. It is hard enough to operate a successful business in current economic conditions without additional obstacles.

The restaurant owner who wants to allow his patrons to enjoy a meal outside should be applauded for offering an amenity. If you want tourists to return to the area you need to give them a reason.

A temporary permit could be issued while permanent rules are investigated. Some type of fenced area could be allowed on the side street. This could be a small controlled number of tables where diners could enjoy a meal.

By continuing the request until July you are eliminating valuable days this business could use to establish itself . If Michigan City keeps procrastinating, all the tourists and boaters will have moved to the neighboring communities.

Kathy Weber

Weber Sign Service Inc.

Michigan City

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=58292.02

Sidewalk Cafe Noisy, Annoying
In response to the article concerning Sahara Restaurant on Franklin Street, I don't see how this can be allowed. There is a rule about signs on the sidewalk blocking them. Yet, tables and people are blocking the sidewalk. Code violation. If this is good for them then let everyone block the sidewalk with whatever they want.

The loud music, yelling, etc. is ridiculous. I live by this restaurant and go to work early in the morning. Should we be forced to repeatedly call law enforcement to tone down the noise? Young children were present several times during the music and drinking. What is wrong with the City Council and the city attorneys? You have been told there are violations but you let it slide.

City Attorney Jennifer L. Evans is running for judge. I would think you would want to make sure the codes are followed correctly, especially if you want us to vote you in as a judge.

Sue Marsh

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 19 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

I believe it's people like Sue Marsh (I wonder if she belongs to CAVE?) that are the ones causing so many problems for Decoys.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 20 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #13

Isn't she a Cop Cadet?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 21 2008, 06:31 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 19 2008, 03:25 PM) *
I believe it's people like Sue Marsh (I wonder if she belongs to CAVE?) that are the ones causing so many problems for Decoys.

You mean it's not the drunks who are fighting with one another who are causing the problems?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 23 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #15

I think we have established that it is the police crackdown on
Inebro-Americans. Look at the Decoys thread.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:23 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com