IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Board Looks At Pedestrian Span Crossing I-94, Property owners irate about plan, while the county is concerned about
JHeath
post Jun 11 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49815.76

6/11/2008 11:00:00 AM
Board Looks At Pedestrian Span Crossing I-94
Property owners irate about plan, while the county is concerned about the cost.

Timothy O’Connor
For The News-Dispatch

COOLSPRING TOWNSHIP - Residents along County Road 950 West were irate Tuesday night during a public-input meeting about a planned bike path that would run through their front yards.

Along with their annoyance, the cost is a concern to the county. The County Park Board voted Tuesday to postpone the project until economic concerns are eased.

"It's just not fiscally feasible at this point," County Parks Superintendent Tim Morgan said.

"We're not going to go for this," homeowner Kathy Pahs-Rhodes said. "I'm not having (people) throw their garbage onto my property."

If built, the 1 1/4-mile path would run along County Road 950 West between county roads

400 North and 300 North, and include a pedestrian bridge across Interstate 94. The project cost would be about $2.3 million, much of which would be funded federally.

"I don't want it," Pahs-Rhodes said.

She echoed the sentiment of the 15 property owners who attended the meeting. None were in favor of the proposed bike path, and all complained about increased foot traffic and lower property values the path allegedly will bring.

Several stated if they had wanted to live in a town with bike paths, they would have moved out of their country homes and into the city.

The 10-foot wide path, made of asphalt, would be separated from the road, which is why it would run through many people's front lawns.

If built, the path would connect a Michigan City trail system to the north with Patriot Park, which is south of I-94.

Morgan said those concerned about the project can come before the County Park Board during any monthly meetings, which are at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month at Red Mill County Park, 0185 S. Holmesville Road

Adam Reihl, project engineer for Beam, Longest and Neff, said his team will take the residents' comments into consideration and try to accommodate their concerns if the trail is built.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 11 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

The path is not in their yards. It is in the right-of-way, which those property owners do not own. We do together.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jun 12 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 11 2008, 02:07 PM) *

The path is not in their yards. It is in the right-of-way, which those property owners do not own. We do together.

I have relatives that live in the far west Chicago suburbs and they have the Prairie Path running right along the back of their property. Having direct access to a walking/fitness trail was considered a bonus that added to what they paid for the house. I have never seen the path garbage strewn. The only thing you see are a constant stream of joggers and cyclists.

Since the mistake of putting Patriot park south of 1-94 is never going to be corrected, it becomes a necessity to create a pedestrian/cycling path to improve the parks accessibility. Hopefully our elected officials will brush aside these complaints from the CAVE/NIMBY crowd and act in the public's best interest. We have a long way to go to fix the pedestrian walkway mess in this town.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 12 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #4

What is the CAVE element is your post referring to?

The lack of pedestrian/cycling paths in city planning is verging on criminal negligence. The entire South Franklin shopping area from 20 to 400 could be retrofitted, of course, but the real chance to do it right was in the planning stage. This is another reason I think the current planning crew needs to be dumped before more earth is moved anywhere in MC.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 12 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 12 2008, 10:45 AM) *

What is the CAVE element is your post referring to?

The lack of pedestrian/cycling paths in city planning is verging on criminal negligence. The entire South Franklin shopping area from 20 to 400 could be retrofitted, of course, but the real chance to do it right was in the planning stage. This is another reason I think the current planning crew needs to be dumped before more earth is moved anywhere in MC.

CAVE = Citizens Against Virtually Everything

Wouldn't it be great to have a bike path along the whole length of Franklin running south starting somewhere around Ames Field? I've never seen a bike path that generated litter or such. I don't have any idea where the people against this get their ideas. One of the North End plans proposes a bike path right along our house on Pine Street, and I personally think the idea is pretty cool.

Agree about getting rid of the current planning crew. This must be about reason #328.

+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jun 12 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 12 2008, 12:48 PM) *

CAVE = Citizens Against Virtually Everything

Wouldn't it be great to have a bike path along the whole length of Franklin running south starting somewhere around Ames Field?

Yes.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=53891.38

Bridge Over I-94
Proposal Runs Into Opposition

Editorial

In theory it's a good idea to connect Patriot Park with the rest of Michigan City via a walking and bicycling trail that would include a bridge over Interstate 94.

But the proposal that was presented by the engineering consulting firm of Beam, Longest and Neff needs a lot more work before taxpayers and residents who live along County Road 950 West are satisfied.

First, the estimated $2.3 million price tag is beyond the means of the La Porte County Park Department, which is the lead agency pushing the plan. "It's just not fiscally feasible at this point," said Tim Morgan, superintendent of the county parks.

Beyond that, the small cluster of home owners who live along the dead-end section of County Road 950 West south of I-94 to Patriot Park are not happy that the plan calls for the trail to run through their front yards. That's not an idea anyone would welcome.

There is nothing wrong with thinking big when it comes to improving the quality of life and the public amenities in La Porte County. By all means, officials need to do that. But they need to approach these problems in a realistic way. That doesn't seem to have happened in this case. Not only is the estimated price too high (and we all know the bottom line seems to grow when the work actually starts), but the people directly affected by the project are angered by it.

A hiking and biking trail can be an asset to a neighborhood, but that idea needs to be sold to the people whose property is affected. That apparently wasn't done in this instance.

Hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails crisscross Northwest Indiana and the Chicago area. Those trails have turned into a major asset for residents and neighbors alike. That network should be expanded in La Porte County, but the proposal presented Tuesday night won't do that because it has alienated some of the very people it is supposed to benefit. This particular trail proposal needs to go back to the drawing board so it can be modified into a more acceptable - and practical - proposal for La Porte County residents.

Our Opinion
The Issue: A proposed walking and bicycling trail to Patriot Park, with a bridge over Interstate 94, would cost $2.3 million.

Our Opinion: That's a huge amount of money, but the design also calls for putting the trail along the front of some people's property. The plan needs to be rethought.

Reader Comments

Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008
Article comment by: Tom Labadie

I cannot stress too strongly about my rights as far as Patriot Park or any other facility which is funded by tax dollars. I am a homeowner in Michigan City, and when I see that the various governmental agencies cannot take care of present infrastructure, it is foolhardy to build new, and if you are going to build something new, no matter what it is, it should be something for everyone's benefit, not just a few. I am most certainly not the only person who doesn't go to either Patriot Park or anywhere else for that matter The point that I was (and still am) trying to emphasize is when the economy is such a mess, the city and county are having money problems because of the snafu over the 2006 assessment, now is not the time to float an expensive pipe dream that will only benefit only a few people. I would love to see the city come up with a plan to do something for the benefit of the people in the 4th Ward, I have seen all the sewer work in the north end of the city, but I have yet to see a project for the benefit of the people whose property floods every time it rains and there are no curbs, no storm sewers and the streets flood as well. If you drive around the Southwood area after a rainstorm you would see what I am talking about

Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008
Article comment by: Sweets

Now that I've read this submission Mr. Labadie, I see I was right in my assumption that you had not visited Patriot Park. You have no right to judge the spending on Patriot Park if you have not been and refuse to go. Maybe we should all sit at home alone and complain about improving our city instead of enjoying ourselves at a beautiful park. I take back my previous posting, do us all a favor and continue to stay away from our loved facility. We don't need your negativity!

Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008
Article comment by: Tom Labadie

I am never surprised when a governmental agency comes up with an expensive pipe dream on how to spend(and also waste)tax dollars Patriot Park was shoved down our throats and there were several people that signed a petition against it, and I am proud to say that I was one of those, but as we all know that when there is money to be wasted the city, county, state and federal governments really know how to do a great job, and when there isn't any money to waste, they still find ways to do so There is the ongoing property tax snafu, the county doesn't have enough money(like who does?) but they are thinking of wasting money on a bridge?? I not only have never been to Patriot Park, but I also will never go there The best thing that could be done with this plan is to put it through a paper shredder and then to recycle the paper. I know that governmental agencies find it hard to make do with less, but it would be nice if they tried it once, the taxpaying public would like the results
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #8

I heard on WIMS from Mr. Metheney that the path would actually take ten feet of front yard, but he did not address whether this is in the right-of-way, which would mean that those people do not actually own it (they are squatting on the public ROW). This is what I would like to have cleared up. It is a great idea and the lack of paths throughout the city is nearly criminally negligent.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 17 2008, 12:28 PM) *

I heard on WIMS from Mr. Metheney that the path would actually take ten feet of front yard, but he did not address whether this is in the right-of-way, which would mean that those people do not actually own it (they are squatting on the public ROW). This is what I would like to have cleared up. It is a great idea and the lack of paths throughout the city is nearly criminally negligent.

Especially when you factor in that a significant portion of our population is too poor to afford cars. The lack of sidewalks in areas like south Franklin Street is dangerous for people who have to walk to work in that area.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Or kids that need something to do.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 17 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Or kids that need something to do.

It would be an interesting idea for a public works project. It would put some local people to work, and keep some people safe in the future.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jun 17 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 12 2008, 12:48 PM) *

Wouldn't it be great to have a bike path along the whole length of Franklin running south starting somewhere around Ames Field?

How about we start small, with a bike path along the eastern side of Cleveland from US20 to 400N, before the area is developed and someone from CAVE decides they have an interest in opposing it.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 17 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jun 17 2008, 09:54 PM) *

How about we start small, with a bike path along the eastern side of Cleveland from US20 to 400N, before the area is developed and someone from CAVE decides they have an interest in opposing it.

I have no problems with bike paths anywhere. I agree that it's unlikely that any property owners along that stretch would object too much to a bike path.

On the other hand, I don't know if it would see much use, either. Is there anything out there to go to? A quick look at google maps didn't show me anything (for example, can't get to Patriot Park towards the south due to I-94), but I could be wrong.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 18 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #14

Roger, is this you smile.gif

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49114.93

Streets Should Have Bike Lanes
It's good to see that the city is making some headway with repaving many of the streets. Now, wouldn't it be nice if they restriped them to include well-defined bicycle lanes, e.g., Washington Street for starters. This perhaps would fall in line with the Andrews University study to make the city more people friendly, be it for pedestrians and bicyclists.

Tom Jachimiec

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #15

I think the city planners need to be tarred-and-feathered if they redo one more street without putting in sidewalks and bikepaths.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jun 18 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 17 2008, 10:51 PM) *

On the other hand, I don't know if it would see much use, either. Is there anything out there to go to? A quick look at google maps didn't show me anything (for example, can't get to Patriot Park towards the south due to I-94), but I could be wrong.

Actually, I was just trying to think ahead here. If by the grace of God the pedestrian span over 94 were to ever get built, its north terminus would be right at the south terminus of Cleveland Ave. So, by getting a bike/pedestrian path built along the east side of the Cleveland extension, you could have a contiguous trail from U.S. 20 to Patriot Park.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 18 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jun 18 2008, 04:04 PM) *

Actually, I was just trying to think ahead here. If by the grace of God the pedestrian span over 94 were to ever get built, its north terminus would be right at the south terminus of Cleveland Ave. So, by getting a bike/pedestrian path built along the east side of the Cleveland extension, you could have a contiguous trail from U.S. 20 to Patriot Park.

Now that would be cool!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:42 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com