IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> International Friendship Gardens Desperately Needs Your Help, Sunday September 28, 10 AM till 3 PM Clean Up
lisagerardi
post Sep 25 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 569

International Friendship Gardens suffered horribly from the flooding that
occured last weekend, with the entire gardens being under water of up to 5 feet
in places.

Due to this disaster, the plants are dying quickly from suffocation of the
mud,sand, sticks and what not.

I have been asked by the volunteers of IFG to reach out to people I know who
may be able to help us this Sunday, September 28, 2008 any time from 10 am till
3 PM. Come for the day or just an hour, any help you can possibly give to us is
badly needed.

Some of the desperately needed things that we are planning to do this Sunday
is:

1) Remove sticks, pinecones and wood so we can cut the lawns before they die,
2) Put plants that are half way out of the ground back into the soil so they
may have a chance to survive
3) Locate lost signs and garden ornaments that have drifted into the tree line
4)Wash off plants of the mud they are being suffocated by
5) Replace limestone or mulch to areas that were washed away to help prevent
erosion
6) Pull seaweed from Lake Lucerne off the plants that they are suffocating
7) Bring the debris we pick up to the area designated so the town can pick it
up for us
8) Rake sand from plants so they can breath

This is not per say "hard" work but many hands are needed to continue
saving the plants as quickly as we possibly can. If you can possibly come join
us, words would not be able to express our heartfelt appreciation to you. Please
pass this onto anyone you think may be of help to us at such a desperate time
for not only our plants but our wildlife which depends on these plants. Garden
tools can be provide if needed.

On behalf of International Friendship Gardens, thank you in advance for any help you can give to us.

Lisa Gerardi
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 25 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40558.94

Unfriendly floodwaters
International Friendship Gardens seeks volunteers to help refurbish.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The heavy rain of Sept. 13 and 14 that dumped more than 9.4 inches of rain caused Trail Creek to flood International Friendship Gardens, leaving behind a mess to clean up.

Barry Criswell, head of gardens and grounds for IFG, said up to 5 feet of flood water covered cultivated gardens and landscaped areas on both sides of Trail Creek for more than 24 hours.

Volunteer help is needed to remove debris and silt from plants, shrubs, bushes, small trees and statues.

"When the water finally started to recede on Monday, it left most areas covered in thick silt and residue that can suffocate plants," Criswell said.

The gardens were closed for three days while the flooding receded and IFG board members, staff and volunteer gardeners began assessing the damage.

Marti Pizzini, IFG executive director, said a quick cleanup was completed in the Symphony Garden to accommodate three weddings scheduled the weekend following the flood.

Water eroded walking paths, moved benches and bedding timbers and destroyed electrical boxes. The Tea House was lifted off its foundation and moved 5 feet to the west, Pizzini said.

Bill Nulf, director of training programs for La Porte Superior Court 1 and 2 probationers, has been supervising work to restore the structure and brace it against future flooding.

Thirteen mature oaks and elms were uprooted from over-saturated soils, Criswell said. As soon as equipment could be moved in, Criswell and work crews from Westville Correctional Center, the Indiana State Prison and Superior Court probationers tackled the most severely damaged areas.

Regular garden volunteers have restored some areas, but more help is needed to deal with the widespread damage, Pizzini said.

"This is why we are seeking community help to save Michigan City's garden jewel," she said.

Volunteers interested in helping should report to the Greeters cabin inside the park. Pizzini said volunteers should wear work clothes, sturdy shoes and gloves. Work to repair the damage and save plants will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.

Donations to The Friendship Gardens Flood Recovery Fund can be made at Horizon Bank, 515 Franklin Square, Attention: Teller Line, Michigan City, IN 46360. Call (219) 878-9885 or visit www.friendshipgardens.org for more information or to view images of the flood and cleanup.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 25 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

I believe I posted a photo of a flowerpot floating down the Creek.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
lisagerardi
post Sep 25 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #4

thank you southsider for posting the News Dispatch article, very well written!

Roger, may I ask where this photo is available so I can view it? We are missing a particular Red colored Urn sort of pot that is particularly sentimental to one of the main gardeners, and have not yet located this, would just love to be able to find this for him

thanks to all for your support, and I hope to see you at the gardens! Lisa
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 25 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Heard about your efforts on WIMS this morning, Lisa. Hope you get a good showing!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 25 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #6

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....=74&st=165#

in the Official MC pictures thread, post #178--just use the link above

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
lisagerardi
post Sep 25 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #7

Well now I know where the wedding symphony garden planters are for sure and certain, somewhere in Lake Michigan lol

Thank you so much for sharing all of these pictures with us, it is incredible what mother nature can do. We humans one day shall figure out we have little to no control over so many things that are part of or effect our lives.

yeah I heard WIMS today also, so glad the community is hearing our cries for help because it is pretty bad

Thank you all here for your support,

Lisa
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 26 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #8

Here is a thought:

I am tired of the conception that Humans are somehow unnatural or alien to the Earth. When someone says Natural, we are conditioned to think, No Human Influence. Well, by gosh, I am a product of the Earth and I belong here as much as any plant, invertebrate, or beast of the wood.

Given that, I agree with Lisa that Mother Nature is incredible, and we need to learn, or RElearn, how to live harmoniously with the rest of Nature.

As my hispanic friends might say, No somos ajeno. We are not alien.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lisagerardi
post Sep 26 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #9

Growing up in the Native American culture and being an Herbalist, my view points on nature is not one many folks can fully appreciate. I am a tree hugger, but not a "branch hanger" as I humorously say. Just as a person being a Christian versus a Bible thumper, big difference in my opinion. There is the difference between the tree hugger and the branch hanger lol. I believe we shall have a good amount of support this weekend, and I most appreciate everyone here for your support with this. Lisa
+Quote Post
lisagerardi
post Sep 29 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #10

We had a great turn out for this, the weather was beautiful, many new friendships were formed, tons and tons of work got done, and while most left tired from a long day I believe all felt good that they came and helped. International Friendship Gardens appreciates everyone's help and support. I personally want to thank those of you who helped spread the word and or came to join us. Thanks so much, Lisa
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com