post Feb 12 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...26fe303124.html

Stan Maddux Times Correspondent
(6) Comments

LAPORTE | With help from more than 90 volunteers, Brad Hindsley on Sunday built a record-breaking sandwich over 360 feet long.

Using surveying equipment, the group measured the bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich at 362 feet and 2 inches.

The build started at 9 a.m. It took just 35 minutes to put together the sandwich, which rested on 24 tables inside the community building at the LaPorte County Fairgrounds.

"It happened so fast. It was fantastic," said Hindsley, owner of Spire Farm to Fork Cuisine at Legacy Hills Golf Course in LaPorte.

"I'm overwhelmed right now," Hindsley said.

The team spend hundreds of hours preparing the food that went into the sandwich before the build — not to mention the months of planning.

For example, 227 pounds of bacon were fried. Flavorings on the meat, such as 3 gallons of garlic aioli and 100 pounds of tomato jam, were made from scratch.

Arturo's Bakery in Michigan City furnished the nearly 200 sections of white bread, which were 24 inches long, to make the sandwich longer than a football field.

Carol Pozos, who owns the restaurant with husband Arturo Pozos, said the bread was made with 400 pounds of flour, 6 gallons of milk, more than 3 pounds of salt, 3 gallons of water and other ingredients.

"I am very, very proud that we were able to do this and be part of such a great event for the community," Pozos said.

"It's really exciting," said Becca Ullman, one of the employees at Hindsley's restaurant.

Despite the monumental task, Ullman said the sandwich building was carried out without a hitch.

Hindsley was able to secure donations to help offset the $2,500 cost of all the ingredients that went into the sandwich.

The record-breaking sandwich slowly began to disappear as four-inch-long sections were sold for $5 apiece to the several hundred people who filtered into the fairground in hopes of raising $5,000 for the New Day Foundation and other local charities.

The previous record bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich measured 302 feet long.

Hindsley said he hopes to hear back from the Guinness Book of World Records in a few weeks on whether the sandwich will officially enter the record books.

He said no matter what the decision, he is satisfied.

"It definitely would be an awesome cherry on top of the sundae, but I didn't go into this wanting the publicity. We're still doing great work for this LaPorte community and that is more important to me," Hindsley said.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 12 2013, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

So really, it's not one sandwich that is 362 feet long, it's 181 sandwiches that are two feet long all crammed together......

laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 12 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 12 2013, 03:58 PM) *

So really, it's not one sandwich that is 362 feet long, it's 181 sandwiches that are two feet long all crammed together......

laugh.gif

I would imagine the logistics of baking a single loaf of bread over 300 feet long would be, um, difficult, to say the least.

Though I was wondering how they would do it. I guess splicing together a bunch of shorter loaves is acceptable to the record keepers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:10 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com