post May 14 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

School Board overturns expulsion

By Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:13 AM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Voting 4-1 to overturn the expulsion of a Michigan City Area Schools student for pulling a fire alarm during class, school board members said Tuesday the boy has already faced enough punishment.

“I feel it’s too harsh,” said board member Bill Greene. “His own probation officer wrote a letter saying she felt not letting him return would have a much more negative impact.”

The boy, referred to only as Z, pulled a fire alarm while his teacher was out of the room nearly three months ago. He is a good student who earns As and Bs, Greene said, and his probation officer said he did it simply to impress other kids. Fire trucks were called off before they arrived. It was the school district’s third student due process appeal to appear before the school board this year.

“I feel that if the teacher had been in the room keeping discipline this would not have happened,” Greene said. “It’s my understanding this teacher was not feeling well that day and had stomach problems, which he may have, but he should have called the principal and went home, and had a sub instead ... I say part of the blame lies in the teacher and the principal, who is responsible for the teachers.”

School officials promised the boy he would not be arrested if he admitted to doing it, Greene said, but following his confession the boy was arrested, served 48 hours in juvenile detention and 30 days on home arrest.

“I believe this lad has served his time and been punished severely,” Greene said. “This charge should be wiped off his record.”

Board member Dr. Vidya Kora agreed that such harsh punishments as expulsion and prolonged suspension are not effective with most students.

“Getting them back into school is ideal with helping in these kinds of situations,” he said.

Greene said he hopes the boy will be allowed to make up the work he has missed with the few weeks left in the school year so he can pass to the next grade. Board members Jeffrey Jones and Kathryn Lee were not present at the meeting. Beryle Burgwald cast the dissenting vote.

CBTL has many intelligent people on it, I'm not quite sure why this story hasn't been discussed yet? Am I "off-base" by posting it?

In a previous thread I was challenged when I alluded that maybe some of our school board members don't quite understand what is going on in the schools. This instance is more proof that it is time for the board members to spend some time in the schools themselves.

Mr. Green enjoyed the support of the teachers' union when he ran. In fact, teacher friends of mine passed out his propaganda. Um...they're a bit upset with him now... the students was expelled, so he can't make up the work. He gets reinstated and starts anew....which is impossible with 3 weeks left.

On the always fun, yet depressing, ND Comments under the story, there were some challenges to the school board members to spend some time IN the schools. I definitely think Mr. Green and Dr. Kora should meet our youth face to face

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 14 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Honestly, I go through the stories quickly, and pick out ones that sound apt. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss. If people feel topics are timely, they are more than welcome to post them. I encourage it as a matter of a fact!

In this case, it doesn't surprise me at all. The state of safety and security at the high school is appalling, and it starts right at the top. I might upset some people by saying this, but the lack of upper staff in the hallways is problem number one. I have never seen a school that has less of a presence in it than MCHS. And then if teachers step in to try to fill the void, they get zero support from this same staff.

My feeling is that because suspensions and expulsions get reported to the public, and the people at the highest levels get kudos for bringing those numbers down, that there is an underlying current away from discipline, at the expense of safety and quality learning environments.
+Quote Post
lbl
post May 14 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ May 14 2010, 02:41 PM) *

Honestly, I go through the stories quickly, and pick out ones that sound apt. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss. If people feel topics are timely, they are more than welcome to post them. I encourage it as a matter of a fact!

In this case, it doesn't surprise me at all. The state of safety and security at the high school is appalling, and it starts right at the top. I might upset some people by saying this, but the lack of upper staff in the hallways is problem number one. I have never seen a school that has less of a presence in it than MCHS. And then if teachers step in to try to fill the void, they get zero support from this same staff.

My feeling is that because suspensions and expulsions get reported to the public, and the people at the highest levels get kudos for bringing those numbers down, that there is an underlying current away from discipline, at the expense of safety and quality learning environments.

Cool! Interesting post (see, smart people doth occur)....

I have some questions for you, merely because I need clarity...

How do you know the situation is appalling? Are you someone there? Do you not see these people in the hallway? From what I gather there is now 1 Assistant Principal and two Administrative Assistants (one on the way out, and one looking for another job). Is that accurate? Do coaches know the same things as Assistant Principals?

Do you know teachers?

Are the "highest levels" people you refer to at Central administration?

Sorry for so many questions. Your observations seem sound and educated, I just don't know the background from whence they come.

Thanks for your time.

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 20 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(lbl @ May 14 2010, 03:05 PM) *

Cool! Interesting post (see, smart people doth occur)....

I have some questions for you, merely because I need clarity...

How do you know the situation is appalling? Are you someone there? Do you not see these people in the hallway? From what I gather there is now 1 Assistant Principal and two Administrative Assistants (one on the way out, and one looking for another job). Is that accurate? Do coaches know the same things as Assistant Principals?

Do you know teachers?

Are the "highest levels" people you refer to at Central administration?

Sorry for so many questions. Your observations seem sound and educated, I just don't know the background from whence they come.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry it took me so long to get to this... I kept meaning to, and forgetting about it.

Anyways... I have gotten the full story of this situation from people inside MCHS who have connections to the story personally. I don't work there, but I am up there usually one to two days a week. My observations of what happens in the hallways are my own, but are backed up for the most part by teachers and staff there that I talk to. There is only one assistant principal left there after the strange situation around Rick Akney leaving MCHS very quietly in the middle of the year. The two "administrative assistants" were supposed to be functioning like pseudo assistant principals, but as the year has gone on, that situation has gotten worse with one finding another job, and the other seemingly looking for one. The effort seems like it has gotten less and less as the year has gone on, with more of the work being dumped on the one remaining assistant principal.

I do know lots and lots of teachers, especially at the HS, but all around the system for sure.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 05:02 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com