Ang
post Nov 15 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #21

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=45243.14

Kids See Society's Lack Of Values
Society has lost track of values. Society has become so MTV one's outlook is blurred. Students only achieve what they see. When we allow our society to run by entitlement programs and watch children having children we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Rules go by the wayside for the vast majority. The rich get their hands slapped for stealing - example, Enron. The bankers want a bail out for subprime mortgages and the politicians want more entitlements for the people. There are no limits set anywhere for the masses except the speed limit. Kids are taught what they SEE.

Back to basics would be a great start for Michigan City Schools. They need a leader and eventually they will find one. There is a change among the new generation and they will figure it out, probably the hard way, that baggy pants and loud music and smokin' a little weed just isn't what life is about. Michigan City needs a new school board and a new super.

Michigan City needs leadership on our education front and with city government. It's hard to blame the kids because they see such bad examples. Everything ties together and until we as a community tackle the small things how on earth can we even grasp the bigger issues. Our town is declining just on appearance alone and that little thing has a dramatic ripple effect. Leadership is required and that isn't something that is taught and in my opinion that is what is missing from our process.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 15 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 2

The ideas are good, but the stereotypes are almost unbearable. Not all kids dress like that, smoke pot, or crank up their music, and to be honest, two out of three of those things have no bearing on them being good kids or not. Letters like that really lose track of the fact that the VAST majority of kids in Michigan City are good kids, dispite what the headlines say. Hopefully Mr Willoughby puts as much time into helping the local kids as he does writing letters to the ND.
+Quote Post
Kim
post Nov 15 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 670

It's sad and frustrating to think about what the teachers in this school system have to put up with.
The discipline problems I understand, the "financial issues" I understand. Up until today though, while reading these posts did I really start to understand the frustration with the administration.
My sister was in the high school a few weeks ago, interviewing (I think) the assistant principal for one of her college classes. The interview was almost an hour late beginning because they were dealing with a group of students drinking on school grounds. You could hear the background noise of students, parents and staff.
My husband is a substitute teacher, and was completely shocked the first time he taught at MCHS. He couldn't even wrap his mind around the vulgarity, obscenity, and disrespect that he encountered there.
He graduated from Washingto Township High School in Valparaiso, so even just the amount of students in the classrooms was a shock to him.
I graduated from MCHS in 1998. Most of the classes I took were either advanced placement or enriched, so most of the time I didn't have to deal with the discipline problems. My math classes however were normal classes, and I hated being there. The teachers spent more time trying to gain control over the class than actually teaching.
My sister graduated from there four years ago, and she would tell you the same thing. From the things I have heard and the posts on here I have read, obviously it isn't getting any better.
We all need to start speaking up. We, as parents need to demand a better environment for our children. I hate to think that my daughter will someday have to go to middle school and high school in Michigan City's public schools. If things do not change...she won't. There is only so much exposure of the "real world" that she needs to have.
Come on people, let's do something about this.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 15 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3

If he put half the energy into helping kids be more like hhe would like them to be that he uses to sound off in the ND, we could get somewhere!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #25

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40640.32

11/16/2007 11:00:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
Funding Cuts Ruining Schools
I support Marty Pizzini's letter Tuesday regarding safety in our public school system ["Schools must meet diverse needs"]. We don't all shop in the same place ... we don't all believe in the same way ... we all have different ethnic backgrounds ... we all have different physical and psychological make-up.

Why on earth we believe teachers can teach in an overcrowded (30 or more students per classroom) situation and expect great positive results with every single student is beyond me.

The family nucleus of today has radically changed from the 40s, 50s, 60s and forward. Our public school systems across the United States cannot operate underfunded and overcrowded. All the local people who were instrumental in closing the Alternative High School, which was showing great success with its programs, need to rethink their position.

Safety, of course, is a number one priority, but what about learning? What kind of future is our community going to have if our children are denied the opportunity of safe, uncrowded classrooms?

Certain segments of our local population are quick to blame the teachers. Shouldn't the blame be cast on a government that keeps cutting back on public school dollars? Shouldn't someone ask our presidential candidates what they intend to do with our public school system dilemma? This question needs to be addressed across our nation. Our children deserve it.

Diana Hirsch

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #26

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=40951.1

Superintendent: Schools Are 'Absolutely' Safe
Harding statement says MCEA criticisms had misconceptions, coverage was misleading.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The superintendent of schools believes the Michigan City Area Schools are safe for students and staff, despite the recent claims of the Michigan City Education Association.

When asked at the Tuesday meeting whether the buildings are safe, Superintendent Michael Harding replied, "Absolutely."

On Thursday, Harding sent a written response.

Referring to the MCEA statement, he said, "I believe several of the comments published ... may lead the community to have misconceptions about the safety of our students and staff in the Michigan City Area Schools.

"These misconceptions not only adversely affect the perception of our school system but are extremely damaging to the community in terms of quality of life and economic development.

"So let me say this loud and clear: The Michigan City Area Schools are, indeed, safe places for students to learn and all employees to work."

On Oct. 26, a teacher at the A.K. Smith Area Career Center drank from a bottle water that seemed to be tainted with a caustic substance. She suspects it was corrupted by a student. Police are investigating.

"There has been much media attention recently surrounding the alleged tampering with a teacher's water bottle at the A. K. Smith Career Center," Harding wrote.

"Police are investigating the incident and have the contents to be tested at a state Food and Drug Administration facility. Rest assured that Michigan City Area Schools' administration, including the administrators at the A. K. Smith Center, is extremely concerned about this situation. Because this is an ongoing police investigation, the MCAS must refrain from commenting on specifics surrounding this case. We will continue to honor the privacy of our students and staff and we hope the police investigation will be brought to a swift conclusion. Once completed, MCAS will take appropriate action to resolve this matter."

Harding acknowledges the presence of discipline issues in the schools. In 2005, the school board adopted a comprehensive Code of Responsible Behavior and consequences are attached to violation of the code, Harding said.

"This code was developed in cooperation with the MCEA, parents and community members, and all school personnel, students and parents have been provided with a copy.

"This year, we have had 571 suspensions and eight expulsions in grades K-12," Harding wrote. That figure represents 5 percent of the total student population, he added.

Offenses include class disruption, tardiness, truancy and other inappropriate behavior.

Fifty-nine students were referred to the Real Choices program, an alternative program offered in cooperation with the Madison Center.

"This program has been extremely successful for those students completing the program and returning to school."

The school corporation has a number of programs involving parents of the students who violate the disciplinary code.

"Without question, the home environment has the major influence over a child's success at school."

The corporation employs social workers and case managers in each school from pre-K through 12th grade, he said.

The corporation works with both the Swanson Center and the Madison Center.

In addition, every school has a crisis team and a safety and security plan in place.

"We also have strong relationships with law enforcement," Harding said.

Two uniformed police officers work at Michigan City High School every day and also are on call to assist at other buildings.

In addition, the corporation has made building improvements to strengthen security both in and outside the facilities.

"It is important to remember that the MCAS is bound by Indiana statutes regarding student discipline and due process," Harding wrote. "While it might be easier to simply remove 'problem' students and send them on their way, this is not what our mission statement or the Michigan City Area Schools' Strategic Plan calls on us to do. We simply do not give up on children!

"The recent article is an affront to our hard-working teachers, administrators, counselors, social workers, transportation personnel and other support staff who work daily to prevent students from making inappropriate choices concerning their behavior. To suggest we should do otherwise violates our core values about children."

Harding criticized The News-Dispatch for its coverage of the safety issue.

"In the future, I hope The News-Dispatch articles will be more balanced and factual. I caution the community against playing an 'I heard/they said' game that simply feeds rumors and negative perceptions."

Harding encourages parents and community members to visit the schools.

"In closing, student discipline is a shared responsibility that starts at home and is managed by the entire staff and administration at each school site. It is our school system's highest priority to provide students with a safe, positive learning environment."

Contact reporter Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 16 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #27

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

"So let me say this loud and clear: The Michigan City Area Schools are, indeed, safe places for students to learn and all employees to work."

This is his response to a teacher being poisoned, kids fighting at the middle and high schools on a regular basis, and the apparent lack of control the adults have over what's going on?

"This year, we have had 571 suspensions and eight expulsions in grades K-12," Harding wrote. That figure represents 5 percent of the total student population, he added.

Offenses include class disruption, tardiness, truancy and other inappropriate behavior.

Fifty-nine students were referred to the Real Choices program, an alternative program offered in cooperation with the Madison Center.

At this rate, we're headed for at least 1500 suspensions by the end of the year. This is not something that happens in safe schools. As for the Madison Center program, it's apparently not effective if things aren't changing or improving. We need the alternative school back!

"In the future, I hope The News-Dispatch articles will be more balanced and factual. I caution the community against playing an 'I heard/they said' game that simply feeds rumors and negative perceptions."

Point made...and I agree.

Harding encourages parents and community members to visit the schools.

But not without an appointment!

"In closing, student discipline is a shared responsibility that starts at home and is managed by the entire staff and administration at each school site. It is our school system's highest priority to provide students with a safe, positive learning environment."

Yes, it does begin at home, but h's forgetting the demographics of our community. Hello...we have 2 prisons in the area (ISP, and Westville)--where does he think the families live? The kids need more effecive counseling and alternative programs.

Ssider, I hope you run again next year...we need you on the school board!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 16 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #28

Fluff. Nothing but icky grey dust bunnies he pulled out from under his desk. They must've accumulated there while he was in China and he didn't know what to do with them so he's feeding them to the public.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #29

Under the category of "for what its worth": the News Dispatch poll of the day asks "Do you agree that MCAS is safe for students and staff members?"

It is 86% to 14% favoring "No. The schools are unsafe for students and staff."
+Quote Post
lilbitcountry
post Nov 16 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 672

I was more than happy to put my big fat "NO" on that poll about whether the schools were safe or not.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 19 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(lilbitcountry @ Nov 16 2007, 07:02 PM) *

I was more than happy to put my big fat "NO" on that poll about whether the schools were safe or not.

Welcome to the site smile.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 20 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #32

Welcome, bit, but your avatar makes me dizzy.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 21 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #33

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40890.55

MCAS Must Listen To Teachers
I am disturbed by what I perceive as a lack of respect for the Michigan City Area Schools' teachers by the MCAS administration. Perhaps a contract renewal would not be problematic if the administration would listen to and work with the teachers in trying to solve their non-contractual concerns. There needs to be a collaborative effort between the administration and the teachers to make the school system work. Neither party can succeed independent of the other.

The administration needs to approach the discipline problem in the schools today as the crisis it is. It is imperative for the teachers to be heard. They are in the field every day. They see what works and what doesn't. Having an administrative title does not give one magical powers to solve all problems. All egos must be set aside now.

There has been a great deal of animosity, distrust and disrespect toward the teachers starting as early as the late 1970s with some poor choices for top administrative positions, the teacher strike in 1985, and even some school board members.

We entrust our children's educations to the teachers. I, for one, feel we need to listen to their concerns and ideas especially regarding the hour-to-hour and day-to-day problems in the school buildings. Now is the time to work together and solve this crisis.

Kathy Weber

Trail Creek
+Quote Post
adele115
post Nov 22 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 678

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 12 2007, 07:55 AM) *

I have a friend who works at the HS and she said the reputation is worse than the reality - halls are generally clear while classes going on, a lot of really good kids. The biggest problem is the leadership - not much happening in that arena. Too many behavioral problems just ignored - mostly in the remedial classes....Harding wants his expulsion rate to remain low so he can transfer to higher paying district (he should go)...a remedical math teacher recently quit because its a zoo in the classroom. They got rid of the alt school which was a huge mistake. Unless the community can vote in a board with brains we're in trouble...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 23 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(adele115 @ Nov 22 2007, 10:05 AM) *

I have a friend who works at the HS and she said the reputation is worse than the reality - halls are generally clear while classes going on, a lot of really good kids. The biggest problem is the leadership - not much happening in that arena. Too many behavioral problems just ignored - mostly in the remedial classes....Harding wants his expulsion rate to remain low so he can transfer to higher paying district (he should go)...a remedical math teacher recently quit because its a zoo in the classroom. They got rid of the alt school which was a huge mistake. Unless the community can vote in a board with brains we're in trouble...

I think we pretty much all want Harding to move on, yet feel sorry for whereever he lands.

Welcome to the site cool.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 26 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #36

My son the freshman had two observations:
1. The classes are more challenging than reputed; and
2. There is essentially no conflict, again contrary to reputation.

Real person, real experience.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 26 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #37

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41118.21

Schools Struggle Because Of Leaders' Attitudes
Unfortunately Michigan City Area Schools continue to struggle. Much of that is due to some school and city leaders' egos, one-sided agendas, attitudes and rebellion. How long will we have to deal with the lip service and rhetoric? Circumstances and conditions dictate the time for action is now.

MCAS set many meetings to increase parent involvement, yet many teachers fail to communicate with parents. The MCAS set many meetings on how to close the achievement gap. Then administrators and the school board closed the Alternative High School, took resource money away and put 30 to 44 students in many of the classrooms.

The MCAS set many Strategic Plan meetings to gain support from the community and businesses. But when invitations went out inviting community leaders and business people to shadow teachers for a day, only about 10 people participated.

When parents want teachers to communicate with then, they should never hesitate to. Parents shouldn't be met with egos, low expectations and attitudes. When the administrators and school board closed the Alternative High School, there should have been a stampede of teachers and parents at the meeting. When the teachers invited community leaders and business people to shadow them for a day, there should have been a history-making showing.

I'm just a parent, but I have an idea. How about we stop alienating each other and join forces? How about everyone do what was discussed in all those meetings? That's if you're truly for the sake of the students.

Agnes Meer

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 26 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #38

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41118.21

Administration Needs To Work With Teachers
I am a traveling kindergarten teacher with Michigan City Area Schools. I have a half-day morning class at Niemann and half-day afternoon at Knapp. I recently spent two weekend days and three evenings until bedtime filling out 44 report cards. To accommodate the number of parents I needed to see at Niemann for conferences, I came to school two and a half hours early. I have no planning time. There are four traveling kindergarten teachers this year. To eliminate the traveling, two teachers would have to be hired. That would have given each school another all-day kindergarten class. I was told that hiring another teacher would not be good for the corporation, and, yet, if I am not mistaken, I believe two new administrators and two coaches with administrative pay were employed. Two teachers would have been less expensive and would have directly impacted students.

I am concerned and confused by the lack of genuine strategies being offered to teachers in MCAS that are actually going to help us make Adequate Yearly Progress. In the last three years we have lost Title1 tutorial help in the elementary schools, added to class size, had assistants taken away, had many things added to an already full teaching day and still have teachers traveling between schools.

Worst, teachers of MCAS are being depicted as a group of people who strive to be mediocre. Morale is at an all time low. How do any of these things help educate children?

I am a mother, teacher and citizen of Michigan City. I have always loved my job. I would often tell people how lucky I was to have chosen the perfect career. But over the years I have been somewhat naive about my job. I thought that if I was on a committee my opinion would be valued. I also thought that if I stayed current and tried new things it would be appreciated. I thought that if I did the best I could and students still struggled, the administration would have answers that would help me make the difference I strive for every day. No one seems to have answers, but it is easy to place blame.

There was a time when I did feel valued, when we worked as a team, when our efforts were appreciated, and during that time I was happy to serve on committees, help write grants, give extra time, and go above and beyond, but now I feel used and discarded.

I am a nurturer and have never liked conflict. My job has always been about what is best for children. I am asking the members of the board to please understand that we are not a group of disgruntled employees; we are teachers in the trenches every day with real children, trying to meet their many individual needs. We know what works and what keeps us from our goals. Please show us your support and I am sure that we can work together to get on with the business of educating children.

Victoria Hill

Michigan City

Editor's note: This letter, edited here for length, was given to the Michigan City School Board on Nov. 13 along with letters from many other Michigan City teachers. As of Tuesday, she said, she had not received a response from any board member.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 26 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #39

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=54766.73

Administration Needs To Work With Teachers
I am a traveling kindergarten teacher with Michigan City Area Schools. I have a half-day morning class at Niemann and half-day afternoon at Knapp. I recently spent two weekend days and three evenings until bedtime filling out 44 report cards. To accommodate the number of parents I needed to see at Niemann for conferences, I came to school two and a half hours early. I have no planning time. There are four traveling kindergarten teachers this year. To eliminate the traveling, two teachers would have to be hired. That would have given each school another all-day kindergarten class. I was told that hiring another teacher would not be good for the corporation, and, yet, if I am not mistaken, I believe two new administrators and two coaches with administrative pay were employed. Two teachers would have been less expensive and would have directly impacted students.

I am concerned and confused by the lack of genuine strategies being offered to teachers in MCAS that are actually going to help us make Adequate Yearly Progress. In the last three years we have lost Title1 tutorial help in the elementary schools, added to class size, had assistants taken away, had many things added to an already full teaching day and still have teachers traveling between schools.

Worst, teachers of MCAS are being depicted as a group of people who strive to be mediocre. Morale is at an all time low. How do any of these things help educate children?

I am a mother, teacher and citizen of Michigan City. I have always loved my job. I would often tell people how lucky I was to have chosen the perfect career. But over the years I have been somewhat naive about my job. I thought that if I was on a committee my opinion would be valued. I also thought that if I stayed current and tried new things it would be appreciated. I thought that if I did the best I could and students still struggled, the administration would have answers that would help me make the difference I strive for every day. No one seems to have answers, but it is easy to place blame.

There was a time when I did feel valued, when we worked as a team, when our efforts were appreciated, and during that time I was happy to serve on committees, help write grants, give extra time, and go above and beyond, but now I feel used and discarded.

I am a nurturer and have never liked conflict. My job has always been about what is best for children. I am asking the members of the board to please understand that we are not a group of disgruntled employees; we are teachers in the trenches every day with real children, trying to meet their many individual needs. We know what works and what keeps us from our goals. Please show us your support and I am sure that we can work together to get on with the business of educating children.

Victoria Hill

Michigan City

Editor's note: This letter, edited here for length, was given to the Michigan City School Board on Nov. 13 along with letters from many other Michigan City teachers. As of Tuesday, she said, she had not received a response from any board member.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 26 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #40

Us vs. them is a corrosive attitude to take.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:07 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com