> MCAS discussion thread
JHeath
post Nov 26 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #41

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 26 2007, 06:09 PM) *

Us vs. them is a corrosive attitude to take.

I see the letter more as a cry for help, not an us vs. them attitude. It's been the same for a long time...why not give the people who are in the proverbial trenches the chance to speak their piece...and actually listen to what's being said? Oh, wait, that might make improvements at the schools...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 27 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #42

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I really mean the attitude of the admin toward the teachers. They (Harding) always seems to respond with a defensive attitude, not one of collegiality, and to attempt to drive a wedge between the teachers and the parents.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 27 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #43

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Harding is not the only one guilty of that behavior. Carla Iacona has her hand in that jar as well as a few other administrators. Why do you think after so many years as an educator, Tim Bietry left? IMO Admin forced him out because he didn't agree with their beliefs. After the champaign fiasco, he went to work at Admin, but didn't stick around very long. Same with Fred LaBorn. He was too nice of a guy to work there and decided to leave for calmer waters--I don't care what he told the papers.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 27 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2

I would give my right arm to see Tim Bietry as the Superintendant of our school system.

+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 27 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #45

I actually talked to him about that. He is not interested. Plus, he doesn't have the right degree. I also talked to him about running for Mayor. He's not interested in that either. He says he's very happy running the Chamber and plans to stay right where he is until he's ready to retire.

sad.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 27 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #46

Yeah, I know, then again, what has the right degree done for our current hire?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 27 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #47

I'm with ya. and I think Tim Bietry as a Superintendent would be the perfect thing to change MCAS for the better. He always had the kids best interests at heart and didn't give a hoot about the politics that went with it. (Politics be damned! he once said to me) That's probably why he's not interested in running for Mayor. I told him he would probably get elected if he ran, but he still declined.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 28 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #48

Even if he were on the School Board.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 28 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #49

THAT's not a bad idea. Although, from what I've seen lately, the school board seems to be just a formality. The Admin is still doing what ever they want with no repurcussions. Or, ONE board member will act alone without consulting the rest of the board.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 28 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #50

The problem is that you need at least 4 independant thinkers before you can change things at the school board level. By my count, I think we have two, depending on the issue. Bergwald and Kintzele really take hard looks at the bottom lines of issues, and they also aren't afraid to speak out on things. Out of the remaining five people, there are some who are worse than others, but none are really bucking this administration. Luckily 3 of those people are up for re-election in 2008.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 28 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #51

Mr Bietry's presence alone could make a difference. I want the board personnel changed to try to jar the system. Plus, he is a well-respected former teacher who brings cred where it is needed.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 29 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #52

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48099.46

Teachers Write About Their Woes
Contract negotiations continue with MCAS pressing for ‘spirit of cooperation,’ while educators talk of lowest morale in 22 years.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Contract negotiations continue between the teachers and the administration of the Michigan City Area Schools.

In a Nov. 26 press release, Michael Harding, superintendent of the Michigan City Area Schools said "that contract negotiations with the Michigan City Education Association are once again in progress.

"We continue these negotiations in a spirit of cooperation," Harding said in the release.

Declining to comment on specific issues, Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, confirmed that.

"We are back at the negotiating table."

A large group teachers appeared at the Tuesday school board meeting, but made no public statements. At the Nov. 13 meetings, teachers spilled out of the meeting room and into the hallway as they waited for the public forum of the meeting.

At that time, Stark spoke about the particular difficulties of elementary teachers, many of whom say they feel pushed to the limits of their capacity by days that sometimes stretch from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and often include weekend time.

Teachers are paid for their contract day, said Liz Schreeg, a first vice president of the MCEA. Teachers are not management employees, she noted, yet it is expected that they will work off the clock. Those off-the-clock hours are increasing every year, she added.

Part of the problem, teachers say, is lack of assistance from instructional aides.

Teachers presented a packet of letters to board members describing their frustration with what they see as ever-increasing expectations without support or resources.

"I have wanted to be a teacher since I was a young child," Mullen teacher Erin Nichols wrote. She said she is proud to be teaching in her hometown.

While she loves her profession, Nichols said she lacks sufficient time for her work and that lack, she said, "is directly impacting my students."

A fifth grade teacher at Mullen School, Bill Pool is in his 41st year of teaching. Pool quotes Strategy II of the Strategic Plan which states MCAS will provide "necessary support for each student to achieve his or her educational and personal goals."

The administration's actions fail to support that strategy, Pool wrote. He cites class sizes, increased responsibilities, lack of resources "and decision making without teacher input and/or consideration" as examples. Success comes through cooperation, he wrote, not from a bully pulpit.

Several teachers say they believe the administration neither respects nor values their work or experience.

"It appears that the school administrators believe that the best way to improve test scores is to speak with utter disrespect toward the teachers, take away invaluable resources and at the same time, continue to pile on the work," wrote Mary Carol Lombard.

School Board Vice President Jim Kintzele recently shadowed Lombard, who teaches kindergarten at both Springfield and Marsh schools. He told the board Tuesday he has to wonder "how these teachers survive, driving between schools. They eat in the car or not at all."

Lombard, who has been teaching for 30 years, said teachers are having a tough time.

"In all the years that I have taught in this system," she said, "I have never seen the morale this low, not even during the strike."

That action took place 22 years ago.

Stark agrees.

"Morale and working conditions now are worse than they were during the strike," she said.

Stark knows Indiana law prohibits teachers from striking.

"And that word is not even in our vocabulary," she said. "We will not do anything illegal."

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 29 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #53

Really Comfortable

"It appears that the school administrators believe that the best way to improve test scores is to speak with utter disrespect toward the teachers, take away invaluable resources and at the same time, continue to pile on the work," wrote Mary Carol Lombard.

School Board Vice President Jim Kintzele recently shadowed Lombard, who teaches kindergarten at both Springfield and Marsh schools. He told the board Tuesday he has to wonder "how these teachers survive, driving between schools. They eat in the car or not at all."

Lombard, who has been teaching for 30 years, said teachers are having a tough time.

"In all the years that I have taught in this system," she said, "I have never seen the morale this low, not even during the strike."

That action took place 22 years ago.

Stark agrees.

"Morale and working conditions now are worse than they were during the strike," she said.

Stark knows Indiana law prohibits teachers from striking.

"And that word is not even in our vocabulary," she said. "We will not do anything illegal."

So they won't strike, but I do sense a "work to rule" coming.

Why won't they give our teachers the respect and amenities they deserve instead of adding more layers of administration?

This post has been edited by JHeath: Nov 29 2007, 03:53 PM
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 29 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #54

I was thinking about the work to rule thing, too. I was at the HS the last time they did that. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with it. I understand the teachers' position and think it's awful the way administration treats them, but IMO work-to-rule hurts the children, not administration. It didn't really get them anywhere last time they did it. Quick fix, nothing permanent-obviously. The only thing that's going to make life better for teachers is to get an administration that understands how difficult a teacher's day can be and cares enough to make life better for them.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 30 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #55

They pretty much gave up on the work to rule, for that exact reason, IE the administration didn't care, and it was hurting the kids. I think that is why they have been organizing better at the grassroots level and taking their case directly to the general public, while bypassing the anemic administration and school board.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 30 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #56

This school board has got to be changed.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 30 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #57

IMO, the School Board is a puppet show put on by Administration

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 30 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #58

Really Comfortable

Obviously, as a parent with children in the MCAS, I'm very concerned about this. Other than write letters to the anvil chorus, what can we do to help?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 30 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #59

Really Comfortable

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41484.75

11/30/2007 11:00:00 AM
Contract Talks Stall

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Contract negotiations between the Michigan City Area Schools administration and teachers broke down Thursday night.

The teachers say the administration walked out of negotiations, while a School Board member says the teachers had not appeared at the negotiating table a half hour after the scheduled time.

Teachers say the other team walked out at least five minutes before 5 p.m.

The time was set for 4:30 p.m., Phyllis Stark, Michigan City Education Association president, said Thursday night.

"When we got here, we told Marsha (Volk Bugalla, school corporation attorney) we needed to caucus," Stark said, adding it has been understood throughout negotiations that either side might call for a 30-minute caucus.

Kathy Lee, the only School Board member present at the table Thursday, said the administration left the table at 5 p.m.

She said she told teachers who were waiting in the lobby of the administration building, "They didn't come to the table," referring to the MCEA negotiating team. Some teachers, however, say they heard Lee say the administration was unable to locate the association team.

The teachers and administration were in conference rooms, next door to each other, both sides agree.

Lee, a speech therapist, calls herself "pro-teacher.

"I just want to get this settled," she said. "I have friends who are teachers, and I assume they will continue to be my friends after this is over."

Neither Lee nor Stark would comment on contract issues.

Teachers have been working without a new contract since June.

A statement released by Betsy Kohn, MCAS director of communication, said, "Because MCEA negotiators had not begun scheduled discussions as of 5 p.m., the administration's team felt that negotiations should be rescheduled at a mutually agreeable date and time.

"We want to stress that this situation is not an impasse, nor is it an end to negotiations. We feel there has been a cordial dialogue during negotiations thus far. We are optimistic that we can continue this dialogue and reach a contract agreement," Kohn added.

Stark said, "We have set no future negotiating date."

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41484.75

11/30/2007 11:00:00 AM
MCEA Won't Support Harding

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Education Association overwhelmingly supported a vote of no confidence Thursday in Superintendent Michael Harding.

According to MCEA President Phyllis Stark, this is the first time the association has taken such an action.

"The vote was a secret ballot passed by 98 percent of the 467 certified staff," she said.

Stark grouped the reasons for the action into what she called "three broad categories: lack of leadership, lack of communication and lack of support or caring for employees.

"This is something the corporation has to take seriously" Stark said.

"This motion is a serious critique of the leadership abilities of the superintendent," she continued. It is meant to "indicate that the certified staff is determined to communicate the need for educational leadership in the Michigan City Area Schools as well as the need for communication between and among all stakeholders in the schools so that the aims of the Strategic Plan can be achieved for all Michigan City area students."

The News-Dispatch was unable to reach Harding directly but Betsy Kohn, MCAS director of communication, said, "We will not be commenting" on the matter.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 30 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #60

More fun at the Junior Highs...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=50659.46

Elston Student Arrested

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City police Wednesday arrested a 13-year-old Elston Middle School student who they say threatened a teacher and a staff member through their respective MySpace pages.

Assistant Michigan City Police Chief John Kintzele said Thursday the student has been charged with Class D felony intimidation.

"These kids need to understand that these are serious crimes that impact the rest of their lives," Kintzele said. "This isn't just against school policy. There are state laws that prohibit this."

Extra security was stationed at Elston Middle School all day Wednesday after police were alerted to the Internet threats, which were apparently received Tuesday night.

Kintzele said the department assessed the threat level and "tailored" their response to what officers felt that level warranted.

"We didn't want anything heinous happening at that school (Wednesday)," Kintzele said.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:24 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com