Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayor Oberlie officially not running for re-election in 2011
Southsider2k12
post Nov 29 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

He made it official on WEFM this morning.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MichiganCityDDS
post Nov 29 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,027

I will support, in general terms, anyone that is not part of the Oberlie legacy tribe, if I may coin a term. It will be a plus if someone has been at odds with them.

Signature Bar
It is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost. St. Matthew 18-14.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 29 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Darn it, I missed it. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
JIM2011
post Nov 29 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 236

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 29 2010, 02:17 PM) *

Darn it, I missed it. smile.gif

LAROCCO WILL RUN FOR SURE
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 29 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(JIM2011 @ Nov 29 2010, 01:32 PM) *

LAROCCO WILL RUN FOR SURE

I wonder how much press LaRocco's arrest for pointing a firearm is going to get this time around.

From a previous thread:

legal problems for candidates
+Quote Post
JIM2011
post Nov 29 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 29 2010, 03:01 PM) *

I wonder how much press LaRocco's arrest for pointing a firearm is going to get this time around.

From a previous thread:

legal problems for candidates

HE WASN'T ARRESTED, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. IT WAS DROPPED. TYPICAL POSTER ON THIS FORUM. YOU LIKE THE TRUTH AS YOU SEE.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 29 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(JIM2011 @ Nov 29 2010, 02:33 PM) *

HE WASN'T ARRESTED, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. IT WAS DROPPED. TYPICAL POSTER ON THIS FORUM. YOU LIKE THE TRUTH AS YOU SEE.

If you know a clearer version of the truth, you are always willing to tell it instead of insulting people. All that is going to accomplish is to put people off, and most likely hold your candidate accountable for it while you post under that screen name. All though I will say the display of the temper is a pretty ironic thing given the background to that story.
+Quote Post
JIM2011
post Nov 29 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 29 2010, 03:40 PM) *

If you know a clearer version of the truth, you are always willing to tell it instead of insulting people. All that is going to accomplish is to put people off, and most likely hold your candidate accountable for it while you post under that screen name. All though I will say the display of the temper is a pretty ironic thing given the background to that story.

No Temper displayed. Just a statement of fact. It stated so in the ND story.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 29 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(JIM2011 @ Nov 29 2010, 02:44 PM) *

No Temper displayed. Just a statement of fact. It stated so in the ND story.

Well sort of. It was unclear on the arrest part. The clear part is that he was charged with a gun-related crime, which means someone felt there was at least a minimal amount of evidence to proceed with a proscution. My personal interpretation of that is that the courts felt Larocco probably wasn't a threat to repeat his crime, which is why they offered him the dismissal if he could follow the conditions of the offer. The other side of that coin is if Larocco was convinced there wasn't something there, he could have just gone to trial prove his innocence to everyone in a very clear manner.

At the end of the day there was never a determination of guilt or innocence, as the process never got that far because of said agreement.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 29 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(JIM2011 @ Nov 29 2010, 02:33 PM) *

OK, Sparky, the article doesn't say he was arrested. It said he was "charged with pointing a firearm," and the case was given a pre-trial "diversion", and subsequently dismissed.

From the article: "Pre-trial diversion means the charge would be dismissed if the defendant follows the rules of the court until a set date." That's not the same thing as "DROPPED." That's the court cutting LaRocco some slack in a situation that would land most people's butts in jail.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 29 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10

Not to mention that when a poster writes in all caps, it's a display of anger, hostility, or great excitement--same as raising your voice.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 30 2010, 07:49 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

In this morning's ND article they included a photo of Jon Jones. I wonder who Oberlie will tip his hat to? Will that mean Mr. Jones? If so, then I suppose he will be keeping the current office staff Oberlie has? And as a member of the Sanitary District, I assume he's satisfied with the leadership there as well. So, in this instance we will be straddled with the same group for quite awhile longer. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 30 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10

Good point Homey.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Nov 30 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 30 2010, 07:49 AM) *

In this morning's ND article they included a photo of Jon Jones. I wonder who Oberlie will tip his hat to? Will that mean Mr. Jones? If so, then I suppose he will be keeping the current office staff Oberlie has? And as a member of the Sanitary District, I assume he's satisfied with the leadership there as well. So, in this instance we will be straddled with the same group for quite awhile longer. smile.gif

Bingo!

But, he'll have to give up his federal job in order to run.
+Quote Post
MichiganCityDDS
post Nov 30 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,027

QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Nov 29 2010, 08:39 AM) *
I will support, in general terms, anyone that is not part of the Oberlie legacy tribe, if I may coin a term. It will be a plus if someone has been at odds with them.

bump

Signature Bar
It is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost. St. Matthew 18-14.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Nov 30 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 30 2010, 07:49 AM) *

Only he is not a member of the Sanitary District, that would be his brother Jeff. John is the Director of Emergency Management. He his the one that got Sheila's SUV when she left town. Jones would be the logical choice in a government of family trees.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Nov 30 2010, 07:16 PM) *

Only he is not a member of the Sanitary District, that would be his brother Jeff. John is the Director of Emergency Management. He his the one that got Sheila's SUV when she left town. Jones would be the logical choice in a government of family trees.

thanks for the correction ltc...but a rose by any other name. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 1 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #18

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...be561211698.txt

Oberlie won’t seek another term as mayor

Mayor wants to spend more time with his family
By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:13 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Mayor Chuck Oberlie will not seek a third term as mayor because he wants to spend more time with his family.

Oberlie said Monday the prospect of facing several opponents next year was not a factor in his decision. Having more candidates in an election, he said, benefits incumbents.

Oberlie’s assistant Cindi Gonzalez-Walus affirmed Oberlie’s reasons for not seeking re-election.

“He’s been in government for many, many years and he’s held many different titles,” she said. “I don’t think it’s because of pressure of any kind. I believe he truly wants to spend time with his family.”

In a segment broadcast Monday on WEFM, the mayor said: “I will not seek re-election next year.”

His would-be opponents seized on the revelation.

“I’m considering it,” La Porte County Democratic Party Chairman John Jones said. “Today’s news is the mayor’s announcement that he’s not going to run and his many accomplishments.”

Jones joins Common Councilmen Ron Meer and Bob McKee in considering a run. Former mayoral candidates Joie Winski and Jim LaRocco have also said they are thinking about it.

Meer said the mayor’s decision not to run again makes the race more “wide open.”

Meer suggested Oberlie would’ve been the candidate to beat, making a comparison to horse racing’s Triple Crown.

“You’re expected to win the Kentucky Derby if you’ve won the other two races,” he said.

LaRocco, who like Meer has not announced his decision yet, said Oberlie’s announcement will weigh on his own decision making.

Oberlie said he will serve the remaining 13 months of his term, during which he wants to make progress on projects including the redevelopment of land along Trail Creek.

Councilman Joe Doyle, who has ruled out running for mayor himself, said he was surprised by Oberlie’s announcement.

“I really feel he has always had the city at heart. He’s always tried to listen and do the best he can,” Doyle said.

Feb. 18 is the filing deadline for candidates who wish to be on the May 3 primary ballot.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Dec 1 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Meer suggested Oberlie would’ve been the candidate to beat, making a comparison to horse racing’s Triple Crown.

“You’re expected to win the Kentucky Derby if you’ve won the other two races,” he said.

This would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that the Kentucky Derby is the first race of the Triple Crown (followed by the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes.)

Yeah, I'm a nitpicker.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Dec 1 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 1 2010, 06:12 PM) *

This would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that the Kentucky Derby is the first race of the Triple Crown (followed by the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes.)

Yeah, I'm a nitpicker.

What are you? Some kinda lawyer?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:05 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com