Reply to this topicStart new topic
> George Carlin, R.I.P. &%@%$*!!
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 23 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Funny guy. Loved the language, the turns, the inside-out meanings--to a Grammarian-American, he was heroic.

Though he was joking, I hope, about the need of handwashing post bathroom use!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 23 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The greatest ever. His seven words routine IS the guidelines for the words on TV and Radio. How much more of a legend can you be?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 23 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #3

*#(?þÅþ®!! yes.

I would hope that his larger body of work, in particular his use of the American language, is recognized and remembered. He was to be awarded the Mark Twain Prize for humor.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 23 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

My fav is The Icebox Man

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 24 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 23 2008, 11:16 AM) *

*#(?þÅþ®!! yes.

I would hope that his larger body of work, in particular his use of the American language, are recognized and remembered.

If George were still with us, he'd have nailed you for using "are" instead of "is".

My favorite Carlin quote -

“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.”
George Carlin

RIP
+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 25 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 797

He was funny, true, but his hatred and contempt for the Religious caused me to stop listening to him.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 25 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

I don't even think it was a hatred of religion, but a combination of the hate of the hypocrisy of many organized religions mixed with his comic genius. No topic was taboo, which is what made him great. In the PC era where you can't talk about certian things, he was one of the few who would. His fearlessness will be missed.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 25 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Dan @ Jun 25 2008, 08:25 AM) *

He was funny, true, but his hatred and contempt for the Religious caused me to stop listening to him.

You and my dad. The first thing my dad said to me was, "I wonder if he believes in God now?"

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 25 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 25 2008, 11:13 AM) *

You and my dad. The first thing my dad said to me was, "I wonder if he believes in God now?"

I'm sure Goerge is in Nifheim hoisting a mug of mead with Odin, both of them laughing about how misguided George was, not having seen the true way, looking forward to the final battle of Ragnarök.

Though I suppose there could be other alternatives.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 25 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #10

Aye, mead in Nifheim, que c'est agradable...

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 28 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

George opened some doors, and let the light shine in; but then oftentimes he pointed out some of the stranger things. For example, here is a quote attributed to Carlin from this website: TruthDig.com (comments section)

You may have noticed that there's one thing I don't complain about: Politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says, "They suck". But where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. No, they come from American homes, American families, American schools, American churches, American businesses, and they're elected by American voters. This is the best we can do, folks. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out.

Now that is very perceptive and well put. But then the journey goes astray with..

....I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain," but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain.

I, on the other hand, who did not vote'who did not even leave the house on Election Day'am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."

which is just messed up. Of course, he could have been just kidding, but then again probably not.

So there is Carlin in his nutshell. In that sense, he is a great spokesman for "everyman."

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 30 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #12

He makes a good point. I am sorry he was not available to accept the Mark Twain award.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:41 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com