Southsider2k12
post May 15 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=50319.1

Distinguished Graduates'
MCHS’ top 22 seniors laud their most-influential educators during ceremony.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - It was an evening for sharing memories - some provoking laughter, some tears, but all representative of the good relationships between students and teachers.

Michigan City High School's top 22 seniors, all with grade point averages of 3.8 or higher, each paid tribute to a teacher who played a special role in his or her life. The Distinguished Graduates Dinner, held Wednesday at Long Beach Country Club, was attended by students, teachers, administrators and family members.

Principal Mark Francesconi said the students embodied the highest standards of academic performance, and all of them are "so far ahead in the game of life." He presented plaques to honored students and a school bell to their selected teachers, some from elementary schools and others from the high school.

Kristyn Rice is one of two students in Indiana to received a $20,000 scholarship from the Fund for Hoosier Excellence. She also has a four-year Wells Scholarship to attend Indiana University, where she will pursue a degree in marketing and international business and a minor in Spanish. Her mother, Annette Lee, said Kristyn always excelled in her studies. Rice chose to honor Rich Leonard, who taught her in U.S. history and physical education classes.

"He was a very positive, motivating factor throughout high school," Rice said. "He was coach of the Quiz Bowl and really loves what he does."

Leonard said he was impressed by her "infectious smile and bubbly personality." He called her an outstanding person whom he has enjoyed working with.

"She can talk her way out of anything," Leonard said, drawing laughs from the audience. "She's excellent in class discussion and, with those attributes, you know she's going a long way."

Payton Larson is also heading to IU in the fall, where he will study pre-dentistry. He was on the high school tennis team for four years. His father Jim Larson said, "I'm proud of the school system. He got a great education."

Payton honored high school speech and English teacher Cheryl Bohlim, whom he credited with helping to "open me out of my shell" during speech class.

Bohlim returned the compliment.

"He is a joy to have in class. He's very entertaining also, and always willing to do more than is asked of him."

Maggie Allison is heading for Purdue University to major in engineering. Allison has received the 21st Century Scholarship, a four-year tuition scholarship to attend any Indiana University.

Her most influential teacher was Pam Jones, her fourth- and fifth-grade teacher at Joy Elementary School.

"Thinking back, she was one of the most memorable," Allison said of Jones. "She taught every subject and taught it well."

Another special relationship was forged over four years of high school Brandon Sobecki and Japanese language teacher Michael Tsugawa. Sobecki plans to pursue a double major in engineering and Japanese at Purdue. He felt learning Japanese would help him understand the technological advances from that country.

Sobecki served as high school newspaper editor and formed a pingpong team. He is receiving the Barker Middle School Award for $500 and the Valedictorian scholarship of $2,000. He is one of four seniors who have 4.0 grade point averages.

Sobecki has learned to speak and to read Japanese and, according to Tsugawa, "He's one of the few students who can think in Japanese."

Tsugawa also described Sobecki as someone who is "forward thinking, with a sense of obligation, and extremely well-prepared for school.

"He makes sure he has all his ducks in line," Tsugawa said. "I think he finished high school a long time ago."

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.

MCAS Distinguished Graduates and Honored Teachers
Maggie Allison and Pam Jones

Stephanie Brown and Norm Bruemmer

Kellie Deutscher and Tim Bumber

Brittany Fickes and Theresa Galloway

Nolan Fine and Herr Ruth

Dannielle Herald and Michael Anne Brock

Melissa Johnson and Tom Cicero

Amy Kanyer and Paul Johnson

Katie Knoll and Kristen Freitag

Payton Larson and Cheryl Bohlim

Jayme McCormick and Fran Booth

Rebecca McCray and Robert Walker

Kelleen Miller and Linda Williams

Ashley Powers and Nancy Russell

Hannah Rebich and Mark Marz

Kristyn Rice and Richard Lenard

Nicole Ross and Andrew Jasicki

Brandon Sobecki and Michael Tsugawa

Kristin Swartz and Dennis Kienitz

Melissa Wall and Angela Gresham

Michael Wisthoff and Nate Cook

America Zahn and Linda Meyer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 15 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Great story.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 15 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

I can personally attest to some damned fine teachers on that list... one of which you all might now...
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 15 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #4

A great honor. I am not a teacher but I know that for those who are as a calling consider one of the great rewards is to see a person develop and reach the highest levels of achievement, and not ncecessarily in academics. Our society needs teachers like these because the contribution they make is not measurable and may not even be evident in toto for years. Great teachers like these bring out the greatness in these students.

Thank you.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 15 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ May 15 2008, 02:01 PM) *

I can personally attest to some damned fine teachers on that list... one of which you all might now...

You mean like my personal favorite...?
Melissa Wall and Angela Gresham

Way to go!!
+Quote Post
BioTeach
post May 16 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #6

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 9

QUOTE(JHeath @ May 15 2008, 06:53 PM) *

You mean like my personal favorite...?

Way to go!!

Thanks. It is an honor to teach these students. They enrich the classroom and make teaching a joy. I feel truly privileged to know many of them.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 16 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10

In the midst of all the crap with teachers and administration, it's great to read about something like this. I know many of the teachers on the list (and a few of the students, too) and agree with SS'der that there are some damn fine teachers on that list.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 16 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #8

This really is something that needs to be played up a lot more. For all the booshwa with the schools, we need to remember that THIS is what it is all about, and these are the people who make it happen!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 16 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 16 2008, 10:54 AM) *

This really is something that needs to be played up a lot more. For all the booshwa with the schools, we need to remember that THIS is what it is all about, and these are the people who make it happen!

Exactly.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:51 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com