Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26057

Library helping job seekers with resumes

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - When commerce and industry are slow, business often is booming at libraries.

Former State Rep. Ralph Ayres, R-Chesterton, calls libraries "one of society's great levelers." Libraries level the playing field for people who cannot afford to buy books and even for those who need to learn to read those books, he says.

These days, the Michigan City Public Library is helping job seekers to level the field.

"At the end of July, computer use was up by 81 percent, compared to that time last year," library Director Don Glossinger said.

Some patrons use the Internet to search for jobs.

Others use word processors to prepare resumes. Some need more help than a word processor can provide.

That's why librarians are available to assist with resume preparation.

For one-on-one resume help, it's best to make an appointment, but the reference librarians are always glad to answer a question or two.

"We're here to help," said reference librarian Aurelia Ploutis.

In the resume process, she said, "We talk to patrons about their skills and their work history and we help them to put it all together," she said. "We can even tailor a resume to a particular industry if that's what the person wants," she added.

The only cost is a 15 cents per page charge for printing.

Ploutis has no way of knowing how many of the people the library helps go on to employment, "but every once in a while, someone comes back to tell us about a new job." Recently, she said, three patrons told her they had been hired at UPS, St. Anthony Memorial and Ryan's Family Steak House.

Camille Williams, a part-time bus driver for the city, was in the library recently to use a word processer to prepare a resume to apply for a second job.

A mother of five, she is an online student at the University of Phoenix seeking a degree in psychology. She once worked at Madison Center as a mental health technician and enjoyed the work.

She hopes to earn a Ph.D. eventually to be a psychologist. Smiling, she said her children, ages 5 to 15, encourage her to do her homework. "My kids keep on me," she said. "They say, 'Let me see your grades.'"

The library circulation department seen a steady increase in the number of people applying for library cards. Patrons need cards to check out materials and to use computers. "We are seeing more people signing up for cards all the time," said circulation clerk Caitlin Price.

"We're getting about 300 library card applications a month," agreed Mary Kemfer, assistant circulation supervisor at the library. Chuckling, she added, "I didn't know there were so many people in Michigan City who didn't have library cards."

Library card holders may check out five movies at a time and keep them for one week, Kemfer said. In a five-person family then, each parent and each child could check out five movies. "That's 25 movies," she noted. "That's quite an entertainment bargain." As long as borrowers bring them back on time, it's all free. Card holders also can borrow CDs and audio books for no charge.

Circulation clerk Kelly Russell said she's happy the library can bring a little entertainment into people's lives.

"At a time like this when so many people are worried about providing for their families, they really do need a chance to relax," she said. "I'm glad the library can help."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Oct 4 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 787

I've been on vacation all week and didn't even see this story. Just a little clarification--you don't need a library card to use the computers or to use any items within the library. But of course it's a great idea to get one, so that you can check out books, movies, music, etc.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 4 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

And Michelle is excellent at helping! Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:41 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com