CaddyRich
post Jun 26 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 756

September 1971

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 26 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #42

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 26 2008, 06:28 PM) *

September 1971

Winner!

I started my junior year at Rogers in Sept., '71. It seems like we had to wait a week due to construction not being done - and it was still under construction when we started classes. I don't think they actually finished the gym until right before that first graduation in '72.

Congrats

IPB Image

- your question?
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 27 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Ok...here's an easy one...

Name the NFL quarterback who was a spokesman for Jaymar-Ruby in the 70's...His line at the end of every TV ad was, "Sansabelt Slacks...From Jaymar-Ruby Corporation in Michigan City, Indiana."

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 27 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #44

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Joe Namuth?
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 27 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 27 2008, 01:44 PM) *

Joe Namuth?

Incorrect. Think older and not so hip.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 27 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #46

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 27 2008, 01:42 PM) *

Incorrect. Think older and not so hip.

Wow - I didn't even know there were Sansabelt TV ads back then! THerefore, no freaking idea!
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 27 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

I don't know if you can be older than Namath and be in the '70's. In fact, Namath's glory years were in '67 through '69, with an improbable SuperBowl win in at the end of the '68 season (in '69).

So if he's older than Namath but in the '70's, I'm thinking Johnny U, Lamonica, or George Blanda.

I admit doing some research to try to find the answer. Heck, research should be rewarded, not frowned upon. Whilst doing my due diligence, I came upon the following:

from "Jaymar Ruby 'Belts' the Competition," by Phil Loranger

The firm had introduced the now-famous brand of Jaymar slacks in 1950. Business took off in 1959, when the company began to advertise its Sansabelt slacks, introduced in 1957, on network television...

The new advertising campaign... will mark a new era for Jaymar-Ruby, a company that has piled up an impressive list of industry "firsts" in its eight-decade history. Jaymar-Ruby was the first: . To introduce the zipper closure in men's slacks; . To offer change pockets on the inside front pocket; . To use the hook-and-eye closure on men's slacks; . To pioneer the Sansabelt slack concept; . To incorporate a no-roll waistband in its product lines; . To offer many of the man-made fibers in its slacks; . To air coast-to-coast local retailer cut-in commercials on television; and . To operate a fully computerized spreading, marking, sizing and cutting system in the industry.

And I also ran into this little ditty written by a MC transplant who casts a rather cynical eye toward our fair city:

"Chinese Broccoli," by Liz

At some point the semi-lost-soul-Hoosier/part-time-Chicagoan town decided a bit of economic stimulation was needed, so they accepted a bid for one of the country's first outlet malls to be built over by the NIPSCO plant (not a "nuke-ular" plant, though it looks the same as one) and the Jaymar Ruby Sans-a-Belt slacks factory. The outlet mall boasted startling new brand names the likes of which 46360 had never seen before, like Benneton. City folk made Michigan City more of a destination and the mall back by the highway started to fail. Soon the novelty gift store, the creepy hidden video arcade, the Claire's Boutiques, B. Dalton, and the corn dog stand would all be gone. Today the anchor stores are still there (Sears, Carson Pirie-Scott, and JC Penney's) but the bulk of Marquette Mall is abandoned save for an oversized Hallmark shop, a 365-days-a-year Christmas store, and a couple of cell phone stands. I tried to buy shoelaces there this past weekend, just to see if I could, and despite the two or three extant shoe stores, I had to go across the parking lot to Walgreen's...

I had my first swim lessons and my first positive day camp experiences at the Michigan City YMCA down on Coolspring. I was in Polliwogs or Guppies or Silverfish or whatever and have been, as a result of this place, a swimmer my whole life. I also had a gymnastics class here where the instructor, no doubt fourteen though I'm sure I thought she was ancient, was so mad at me once she insisted smoke would come out of her ears. I was terrified. I had a swim at the Michigan City Y just last year and I don't think the locker room had been updated or even cleaned since I was a Polliwog. The pool was fairly disgusting too. Yesterday they had their YMCA charter revoked...

A million other things happened and disappeared here too: Fried's Cat Shelter, whose name became more than ironic when the entire thing was destroyed by fire, the Franklin Pharmacy whose animated neon mortar-and-pestle are now echoed bizarrely in the modern logo of the newly erected Walgreens across the street, the crazy-arc architecture of Al's Grocery Store that became Frank's Nursery and Crafts that became Goodwill that became, I think, abandoned, the hobbit-renovated brick brewery on 8th street that nature has nearly fully reclaimed, the strip mall that came and went at Lake Shore Drive and Lake, the Hot'n'Now burger drive-thru that is now a delicious low-rent Mexican joint. ..

Wherefore art thou, weird old timey Michigan City? Not to worry, the world's most angularly modern library is still thriving, the creepy observation tower still looms atop the depressing zoo, the dunes still roll even in the shadows of teetering apartment developments, and yes, most importantly, the electric trains from Chicago still go right down the middle of the street.

I would have never found those articles had I just used my memory (and the memories of a ten-year-old at that).

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 28 2008, 06:54 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Ok...here's a hint...Think West Coast.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 28 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 28 2008, 07:54 AM) *

Ok...here's a hint...Think West Coast.

Stabler (already said Blanda), Montana, Haden, Kemp?

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 28 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Marram @ Jun 28 2008, 09:56 AM) *

Stabler (already said Blanda), Montana, Haden, Kemp?

OK...another hint...before the best QB in Notre Dame history.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 28 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #51

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 28 2008, 09:02 AM) *

*stares at screen - draws blank - bangs head on desk*
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 28 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 28 2008, 10:02 AM) *

That's ambiguous, but hints are supposed to be, so here goes.

First off, a quick comment: Montana was the best NFL quarterback to come out of Notre Dame, but his ND career was not as good or only as good as a handfull of others, including Tony Rice, Quinn, McDougal, Clements, Bertelli, and Lujack.

Then, you said "before" the best QB, so you either mean before Montana at ND, which would be Theismann, Clements, Slager, or Lisch; or you mean before Montanta at San Fran, which the web tells me would be either Brodie, Steve Spurrier, Plunkett, or Deberg.

One of those has got to be right.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 29 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Marram @ Jun 28 2008, 08:42 PM) *

That's ambiguous, but hints are supposed to be, so here goes.

First off, a quick comment: Montana was the best NFL quarterback to come out of Notre Dame, but his ND career was not as good or only as good as a handfull of others, including Tony Rice, Quinn, McDougal, Clements, Bertelli, and Lujack.

Then, you said "before" the best QB, so you either mean before Montana at ND, which would be Theismann, Clements, Slager, or Lisch; or you mean before Montanta at San Fran, which the web tells me would be either Brodie, Steve Spurrier, Plunkett, or Deberg.

One of those has got to be right.

As much as I would like to question the careers of a couple of names on the ND list in comparison to Joe Montana's...this is America, and that could be a topic for another time. rolleyes.gif

We have a winner! John Brodie, former 49ers QB, was a spokesman for Sansabelt Slacks.
Congrats!

Your Question?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 29 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

December 28, 1946: American Airlines Flight 2007, a Douglas C-50, routing Detroit-Chicago crashed near Michigan City, IN after an emergency divert to South Bend after the pilot reported problems with both engines. The plane crash-landed near Michigan City. Of the 21 occupants on board (18 passengers and 3 crew) 2 of the crew were killed. The cause of the crash was determined to be fuel starvation in both engines.

From Wikipedia - American Airlines Accidents

Where in Michigan City did it crash?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 30 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #55

Really Comfortable

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe this quiz would be more fun if we just asked each other about stuff we remember, rather than testing each other's internet detective skills. For instance, the air crash question - since no one who posts here was alive then, why would anyone know that? It's a good question - I just think we'd have more fun with questions like this -

There used to be a cafe on 8th St. What was it called?

Just my opinion on the quiz parameters, of course....
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jul 1 2008, 06:42 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 30 2008, 05:23 PM) *

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe this quiz would be more fun if we just asked each other about stuff we remember, rather than testing each other's internet detective skills. For instance, the air crash question - since no one who posts here was alive then, why would anyone know that? It's a good question - I just think we'd have more fun with questions like this -

Just my opinion on the quiz parameters, of course....

Alright, the answer is actually not on the internet, although the details I displayed came from the website websited (there's a new one - "websited"). I got the answer from memory, and from a guided tour of Friendship Gardens, which was the answer, BTW. Not on the pond or in one of the rose gardens, but on a ridge on the boundaries of the park.

So here's one to take its place since no one responded to the first.

Where is the old Mayor Martin T. Krueger home located?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 1 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #57

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Member No.: 3

Not "alright" but "all right."

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #58

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 30 2008, 04:23 PM) *

[two cents]Since that wasn't a specific location (afterall 8th street covers a lot of ground) I'm going assume you mean on the corner of 8th and Franklin. There's been a couple restaurants there. Ceno's was the latest to my knowledge, but the most well known was Liles 801. I actually have a magnet on my refridgerator from there! I know that's not an official Quiz question and I do not want to take a turn by answering that one. [/two cents]

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jul 1 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 1 2008, 10:12 AM) *

[two cents]Since that wasn't a specific location (afterall 8th street covers a lot of ground) I'm going assume you mean on the corner of 8th and Franklin. There's been a couple restaurants there. Ceno's was the latest to my knowledge, but the most well known was Liles 801. I actually have a magnet on my refridgerator from there! I know that's not an official Quiz question and I do not want to take a turn by answering that one. [/two cents]

I think the correct answer Tim's looking for is 8th St. Cafe...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll search for the the name of the person in Grant's Tomb.

nyuk, nyuk.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #60

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jul 1 2008, 10:45 AM) *

I think the correct answer Tim's looking for is 8th St. Cafe...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll search for the the name of the person in Grant's Tomb.

nyuk, nyuk.

Was that before or after Liles 801?

I'm still looking for Jimmy Hoffa...

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

18 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:28 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com