IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michael Harding has "retired" from the MCAS, Will be taking job at East Chicago
Southsider2k12
post Aug 23 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I have been unable to get a confirmation on the story itself, but I did confirm with others that the rumors are out there with various degrees of information in them. The big thing is that supposedly Harding is about to resign from the MCAS and take a similar position running the East Chicago school system.

I will pass on more info as I can get some other verification.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 23 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Although I do know that teachers did not receive their typical welcome back to school letter from the superintendent this year.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Aug 23 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Apparently East Chicago has been without a superintendent of their school system since February.

While I certainly wouldn't mind Michael Harding leaving his position at MCAS, I hope East Chicago knows what it's getting. At this point I don't know if Mr. Harding would be qualified to serve as a school janitor, let alone as a school superintendent.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 23 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

My question is is he really going to drive from Goshen to E.C. every day? MC is not good enough for him to live here, there is no way on God's green earth he would live in EC. This is crazier than anything else I've heard. I'm inclined to think it's simply a rumor or wishful thinking on our parts.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 24 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #5

Well a part of it makes very good sense. Remember in the past he has been able to govern however he pleased, because he had a 5-2 school board majority to protect him. That slipped 4-3 a couple of years, and now has seemingly gone against him by that same 4-3 margin.

Also remember that the Board can annually stop the automatic extension of his contract for another year, by holding a vote on it by December 31st. It was a controversial topic last year, and it passed by a 4-3 vote. This year, there is a very good chance that the board would NOT renew him, which would be worse for his career than taking a job a little further away than he currently drives now.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 24 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #6

WIMS radio is also reporting that there will be a special executive session meeting of the school board on August 31st.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 24 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #7

Also tomorrow is the biweekly school board meeting. Unfortunately I have a Planning Commission meeting to be in, but I would love someone to ask about this in the public comment section.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Aug 24 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 945

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:43 AM) *

Also tomorrow is the biweekly school board meeting. Unfortunately I have a Planning Commission meeting to be in, but I would love someone to ask about this in the public comment section.

Hi, I just started working at the News-Dispatch as a reporter, I came here from Iowa not too long ago. I've been assigned to attend the school board meeting tomorrow night and was aware of the executive session coming up next week. The results of those meetings are public record -- basically what action was taken against whom -- so I was planning on asking for that ahead of time to make sure I get it right away after the meeting. I will keep this rumor in mind also and ask about it during or after the school board meeting.

I'm going to make a post introducing myself, so anyone who wants to talk can do it there! Thanks.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Aug 24 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 24 2009, 08:43 AM) *

You can always count on my being at the MCAS Board Meetings!!!

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 24 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Aug 24 2009, 11:23 AM) *

You can always count on my being at the MCAS Board Meetings!!!

Please ask and let us know what is said!!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 25 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #11

So in the category of FWIW, none of the officials I contacted about Harding's status have returned emails. That probably is a good sign that he is not staying on in MC, or there would have been an instant denial.

I think we are going to get a leak at tonights school board meeting.
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 25 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:31 AM) *

So in the category of FWIW, none of the officials I contacted about Harding's status have returned emails. That probably is a good sign that he is not staying on in MC, or there would have been an instant denial.

I think we are going to get a leak at tonights school board meeting.

Yes speculation came out early this week.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 25 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #13

I am walking out the door now, but Harding is NOT at the meeting. Iacona is standing in for him. Classy of him, to stand up for himself in front of the community that has put over a half of a million dollars into his pocket.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Aug 25 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

Harding "retired" tonight and is no longer Supt of Schools for the MCAS!!!

***DOES THE HAPPY DANCE***

(it's a good start)

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 25 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #15

The wife said he had his resignation letter read for him. What a spineless man. He can't even have any class when he is sneaking out the backdoor. Good riddance. Hopefully our next super can at least work with people.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 25 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #16

http://mcasnow.mcas.k12.in.us:81/departmen...ng-to-step-down

August 25, 2009 – Michigan City, IN – At its August 25, 2009 meeting, the Michigan City Area Schools Board of School Trustees and Superintendent Michael Harding, through a prepared statement, jointly announced the Superintendent’s decision to step down from his position, effective August 26, 2009.

“I want to thank the entire Michigan City Area Schools community – the Board of School Trustees, the teachers, parents, staff, and students. It has been a privilege to work with all of you over the past five years. Working together, we have made great progress to improve our schools,” Harding said. “This has not been an easy decision for me, but I think the time is right to pursue other challenges and opportunities. I am confident that the future is bright for the Michigan City Area Schools.”

Board of School Trustees President Jim Kintzele thanked Superintendent Harding for his service. “We appreciate the dedication and vision that he brought to Michigan City, and we wish him the best in the future.”

The Board will begin its search for Harding’s successor immediately. Dr. Carla Iacona, Assistant Superintendent for K-12 Administration, will serve as Acting Superintendent until Board members have named an Interim Superintendent.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 25 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #17

It'll be alright so long as Iacona isn't interim or hired as the actual Super.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 26 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 25 2009, 09:52 PM) *

It'll be alright so long as Iacona isn't interim or hired as the actual Super.

The problem is the system which is little more than a professional union, restricting the appointment of superintendents to educators. This is the case universally in the U.S. Educators belong in classrooms and in design of education content, not in running multi-million dollar corporations. IBM does not have scientists as chief administrators. GE does not have pure engineers as presidents.

Some years ago a friend with a strong business background including an MBA was hired as business manager of a west Chicago suburban school system. I thought they are on the right track! But the system dictated later that if he was to earn more income, he had to obtain an advanced degree in education, that is get brainwashed into the system.
+Quote Post
SAW
post Aug 26 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 946

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Aug 26 2009, 05:16 AM) *

The problem is the system which is little more than a professional union, restricting the appointment of superintendents to educators. This is the case universally in the U.S. Educators belong in classrooms and in design of education content, not in running multi-million dollar corporations. IBM does not have scientists as chief administrators. GE does not have pure engineers as presidents.

Some years ago a friend with a strong business background including an MBA was hired as business manager of a west Chicago suburban school system. I thought they are on the right track! But the system dictated later that if he was to earn more income, he had to obtain an advanced degree in education, that is get brainwashed into the system.

So the superintendent isn't even gone a day and already somebody is complaining of the interm superintendent.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 26 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(SAW @ Aug 26 2009, 05:22 AM) *

So the superintendent isn't even gone a day and already somebody is complaining of the interm superintendent.

I have complained about Iacona since I was an employee with the school system. And no, I didn't actually complain about her in my post, all I said was lets hope she is not picked as interim or hired permanently. Acting is ok if only for a short time IMO.

BTW, welcome to the board and thanks for insulting me with your first post. wink.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:55 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com