Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 790

biggrin.gif
Playoffs Set To Get Underway
Softball sectionals start tonight

Nick Dettmann
The News-Dispatch

Sitting five games below .500, the Michigan City Wolves and coach Candy Feare set out on a mission.

"I told the girls, 'I want the sectional team,'" Feare said May 9. "This is what we're after now. We're done with the DAC. ... We're trying to get to .500.

"... We can easily finish .500. That's what we're after."

On May 9, the Wolves sat with a 7-12 record after a 3-0 loss to Kankakee Valley at home.

But since then, the Wolves have been rolling. They have won five straight games, beating Calumet, Marquette, South Bend Riley, South Central and Morgan Township - all within five days.

The Wolves did achieve their goal of getting to .500.

Now with sectional play ready to begin for the Wolves on Wednesday against Chesterton, the Wolves hope they will get the opportunity to prove that winning five straight games was no fluke.

The winner of the City-Chesterton sectional game will play the winner of the Crown Point-Merrillville game.

Finishing the regular season at .500 is a huge step for the Wolves and the program. In the previous two seasons, the program won just eight games over that span.

The Wolves, for the first time in a while, have something to build on heading into the sectional.

City went 9-1 in its nonconference games this - the only loss was the Kankakee Valley game.

When the Wolves played Chesterton in the season's first game, Feare said she was happy with the way her team played, despite losing 11-4. Feare said after the Kankakee Valley game she's happy her team is going to get another shot at Chesterton, who swept the Wolves during the regular season in two meetings.

Chesterton is not the same power this year than it has been in years past. But it's Chesterton.

Two area teams will start sectional play tonight (La Porte and La Crosse), New Prairie will play Tuesday night against host South Bend St. Joseph's, and the other five area squads (Chesterton, City, Westville, Marquette and South Central) will play Wednesday night.

Signature Bar
All of the keys to joy can be reduced to these two: Laugh, but at no one's expense, and love but without expectation. Patrick McBride
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 20 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

That's great. It's about time those girls had their day!

Welcome to the board Beachgirl.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Beachgirl77
post May 20 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ May 20 2008, 09:17 PM) *

That's great. It's about time those girls had their day!

Welcome to the board Beachgirl.

Thanks! I agree.
I coached that group of ladies for three years, and I am proud of them!

Signature Bar
All of the keys to joy can be reduced to these two: Laugh, but at no one's expense, and love but without expectation. Patrick McBride
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 21 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

Great to hear and welcome to the site! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 21 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3

What an accomplishment! good for them.

Will this Board join me in keeping a close eye on THAT Board so they don't fire this coach?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 21 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #6

We are the 4th pillar of government!
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 21 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #7

I think someone at MCAS has a secret agenda to destroy the school system!! laugh.gif

Maybe I should post this in the conspiracy theory thread? huh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Beachgirl77
post May 21 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ May 21 2008, 10:06 AM) *

I think someone at MCAS has a secret agenda to destroy the school system!! laugh.gif

Maybe I should post this in the conspiracy theory thread? huh.gif

Candy Feare really has brought a lot to that program.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 21 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #9

I knew Candy when she worked with Coach Collins as an assistant BB coach. She is a really nice woman who is dedicated to the girls. I think she coached JV softball at the same time? I left MCHS the last year Karen Ingram coached.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Beachgirl77
post May 21 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ May 21 2008, 11:59 AM) *

I knew Candy when she worked with Coach Collins as an assistant BB coach. She is a really nice woman who is dedicated to the girls. I think she coached JV softball at the same time? I left MCHS the last year Karen Ingram coached.

No, she didn't coach the girls at the JV level...it was me and Dave Johnson at the time. That was my first year. She came in the next year as the head Varsity coach.
She did do a lot of coaching of the girls outside of the season for hitting, though.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 21 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #11

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48651.04

Softball Team Worth Getting Excited About
Congratulations to the Lady Wolves softball team on accomplishing a .500 season, and good luck going into sectionals this week. The softball season is compact, making it very strenuous for the students. With four and maybe five games in a row, the girls have to be committed and focused. These girls stayed focused and earned a record no softball team at Michigan City High School has had for very many years.

The growth and improvement in this team can be attributed to the fact that many of these girls have played in the Trail Creek Softball Program, and also on the 14-year-old KVA travel softball teams. Without this feeder program, and the commitment of coach Feare, the Lady Wolves softball team may not have won the number of games they did this season.

Contrary to what Mr. Dettmann had to say in his column today ["City, don't get too excited"], this is something to get excited about. Growth of teams and the movement toward winning seasons starts with a lot of hard work and ambition by parents, coaches and people with visions of improvement.

The Trail Creek Softball Program is doing for softball what the Michigan City Basketball Academy has done for the Lady Wolves basketball program. So, to all those involved in the softball programs for the many girls who play in Trail Creek, and now at the high school, congratulations on this year's record and I look forward to seeing the softball team becoming a recognized team in the conference. Good luck in the future.

Jill Johnson

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Beachgirl77
post May 21 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ May 21 2008, 12:33 PM) *

That Dettman article rubbed me the wrong way!
You go Jill Johnson! biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:49 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com