Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2014, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Michigan City Police Department
PRESS RELEASE:

On 7-31-14 at approximately 9:21pm officers assigned to the Michigan City Police Departments afternoon shift and Traffic Division were dispatched the intersection of Michigan Blvd. and Warnke Rd. in reference to a personal injury automobile accident. Upon their arrival, officers located a critically injured adult male laying in the eastbound lane of Michigan Blvd. LaPorte County EMS units were also dispatched to the scene, however the victim succumbed to his injuries before he could be transported to the hospital.

A preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was attempting to exit the driveway of the Sand Trap Bar on his moped when he pulled into the path of a 2004 Chevy 3500 pickup truck being driven by 40yr old Ryan Garrett of LaPorte, Indiana. Although Mr. Garrett did not sustain any injuries, he was transported to St. Anthony Hospital for drug and alcohol testing. Those test revealed that Mr. Garrett was intoxicated at the time of the collision. As a result, Mr. Garrett has initially been charged with Operating While Intoxicated (causing death), a level 4 felony. Due to the fact that alcohol was suspected to be a contributing factor, the LaPorte County Fatal Alcohol Crash Team (F.A.C.T.) was dispatched to the scene to assist with the investigation. The name of the 29yr old male victim is being withheld at this time pending the notification of the next of kin.

Also responding and assisting with this investigation were: the LaPorte County Sheriffs Department, the Long Beach Police Department, the Trail Creek Police Department, the Coolspring Volunteer Fire Department, and the LaPorte County Coroners Office.

Lt. Jeff Loniewski
Traffic Division Commander
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 1 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Aug 1 2014, 05:55 PM) *

Michigan City Police Department
PRESS RELEASE:

On 7-31-14 at approximately 9:21pm officers assigned to the Michigan City Police Departments afternoon shift and Traffic Division were dispatched the intersection of Michigan Blvd. and Warnke Rd. in reference to a personal injury automobile accident. Upon their arrival, officers located a critically injured adult male laying in the eastbound lane of Michigan Blvd. LaPorte County EMS units were also dispatched to the scene, however the victim succumbed to his injuries before he could be transported to the hospital.

A preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was attempting to exit the driveway of the Sand Trap Bar on his moped when he pulled into the path of a 2004 Chevy 3500 pickup truck being driven by 40yr old Ryan Garrett of LaPorte, Indiana. Although Mr. Garrett did not sustain any injuries, he was transported to St. Anthony Hospital for drug and alcohol testing. Those test revealed that Mr. Garrett was intoxicated at the time of the collision. As a result, Mr. Garrett has initially been charged with Operating While Intoxicated (causing death), a level 4 felony. Due to the fact that alcohol was suspected to be a contributing factor, the LaPorte County Fatal Alcohol Crash Team (F.A.C.T.) was dispatched to the scene to assist with the investigation. The name of the 29yr old male victim is being withheld at this time pending the notification of the next of kin.

Also responding and assisting with this investigation were: the LaPorte County Sheriffs Department, the Long Beach Police Department, the Trail Creek Police Department, the Coolspring Volunteer Fire Department, and the LaPorte County Coroners Office.

Lt. Jeff Loniewski
Traffic Division Commander

Have they checked the victim for alcohol, I wonder. He pulled into a path of a guy driving down the road. I get the DUI thing, but who is really responsible for this guy's death?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 1 2014, 09:04 PM) *

Have they checked the victim for alcohol, I wonder. He pulled into a path of a guy driving down the road. I get the DUI thing, but who is really responsible for this guy's death?

As I understand it, legally the DUI trumps. The idea is that the guy who was drunk shouldn't have legally been on the road, so the accident should have never been able to happen.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 1 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Aug 1 2014, 08:41 PM) *

As I understand it, legally the DUI trumps. The idea is that the guy who was drunk shouldn't have legally been on the road, so the accident should have never been able to happen.

I get that - but what if the victim had also been drunk? Well - I guess he can't be charged. But it seems at the outset to dump all the blame on the guy who's still alive.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 2 2014, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Condolences to all those involved.

Just would like to note that new law January 1, 2015 Indiana moped/scooter riders across Indiana will be required to pay a $25.00 registration fee and have to carry a form of state ID. This is a good law as the state ID will keep riders under age 15 off the road and keep riders with bikes larger than 50cc's from getting it registered.

I believe it needed to go a little further and require them to carry insurance as well. I ride a 1992 Honda Helix with a 250cc engine and pay registration, insurance and have had my motorcycle endorsement for 30 years. I always felt it is unfair that moped riders ride for free and I have to pay.

+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 4 2014, 05:53 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

A 50cc scooter will do around 30-25mph, your Helix can go on highways, legally.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 4 2014, 08:42 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 1 2014, 10:09 PM) *

I get that - but what if the victim had also been drunk? Well - I guess he can't be charged. But it seems at the outset to dump all the blame on the guy who's still alive.

Now I get what you are saying. I totally agree, if true.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 4 2014, 08:57 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Well, you know what the story is MOST of the time when you see a grown man riding a 49cc scooter.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 4 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Aug 4 2014, 09:57 AM) *

Well, you know what the story is MOST of the time when you see a grown man riding a 49cc scooter.

Also very true.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 4 2014, 10:36 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Aug 4 2014, 09:57 AM) *

Was the victims moped larger than 49cc's?

Another thing to point out is that the victim was trying to pull out of the parking lot of the bar then across two lanes of phase II Michigan Boulevard construction and then into a two way of single lane traffic.

There are way to many unknown mitigating circumstances in this case to pass judgment.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 4 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 4 2014, 11:36 AM) *

Was the victims moped larger than 49cc's?

Another thing to point out is that the victim was trying to pull out of the parking lot of the bar then across two lanes of phase II Michigan Boulevard construction and then into a two way of single lane traffic.

There are way to many unknown mitigating circumstances in this case to pass judgment.

There is no such thing as a moped above 49cc. Anything larger goes by another name.

http://www.fwpd.org/prevention/?ID=crime_p...ntion1184160838

(1)Moped-a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle powered by an engine or electric motor. If it is