IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Board Election, A couple of related polls
Up for the challenge?
If you had the chance, would you accept the challenge of helping our school system by being a school board member at MCAS?
In a heartbeat, sign me up. [ 5 ] ** [35.71%]
Maybe, depending on some factors. [ 2 ] ** [14.29%]
Have to think about that for a while. [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Probably not. [ 5 ] ** [35.71%]
That would constitute insanity. [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Do you think you could accomplish the most as a school board member or city council member in this town?
School Board [ 5 ] ** [35.71%]
City Council [ 7 ] ** [50.00%]
Can't I just be executed to avoid the pain? [ 2 ] ** [14.29%]
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
Marram
post Jun 23 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 505

Please consider question number one as is, without taking into account the months of campaigning that it involves. Same goes for number 2.

BTW, I have changed my screen name, in case you haven't noticed.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 23 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Marram @ Jun 23 2008, 06:05 PM) *

I noticed that it's spelled the same way...backward or forward. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 23 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 23 2008, 08:58 PM) *

I noticed that it's spelled the same way...backward or forward. biggrin.gif

You're right. What's that called again?

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 23 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I don't remember what it's called but radar is another one.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 23 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 23 2008, 10:21 PM) *

I don't remember what it's called but radar is another one.

So is "Bob". laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 23 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

And the word you're looking for is "palindrome."

So, why these particular questions? You've decided you're a masochist, and you're trying to decide which would hurt better, being on the city council or the school board?

This post has been edited by Dave: Jun 23 2008, 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 24 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 23 2008, 11:16 PM) *

And the word you're looking for is "palindrome."

So, why these particular questions? You've decided you're a masochist, and you're trying to decide which would hurt better, being on the city council or the school board?

Dave, this is a rhetorical question aimed at getting some feedback about how our bloggers feel about two separate but related bodies of governance. In fact, they are closely related, just as our School System and the development of our city are closely related.

Besides, I couldn't think of any better questions. wink.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 24 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3

What was your previous screen name?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 24 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 24 2008, 09:51 PM) *

What was your previous screen name?

If you click on a user's name, it will take you to their profile. On everyone's pprofile, there is a "button" labeled "Profile Options," and if you click on that, you get a dropdown menu. One of the options on there is "Member's Display Name History." That will open a new window with the information you're looking for.
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 25 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 24 2008, 10:47 PM) *

If you click on a user's name, it will take you to their profile. On everyone's pprofile, there is a "button" labeled "Profile Options," and if you click on that, you get a dropdown menu. One of the options on there is "Member's Display Name History." That will open a new window with the information you're looking for.

Of course, that would make it a lot less fun to guess. And I could have just reregistered as a new user (but I didn't). Also, my avatar stayed the same, and you won't be hearing from me using the old "display name." Given those hints, the answer is pretty easy to figure out without using your fancy shmancy "profile options." tongue.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jun 25 2008, 07:54 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

I had to go for No on the school board question, just because I think they could find a better member. I don't have many education-related skills to bring to it. Some grant and fundraising experience that might be helpful, I suppose. I'm sure they could find better, though.

Just wanted to state that a "no" answer here doesn't necessarily mean "die, school system, die!"

OTOH, I at least have a degree that applies to City Council-y things, so that's not an automatic write-off.

+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 25 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Marram @ Jun 25 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Of course, that would make it a lot less fun to guess. And I could have just reregistered as a new user (but I didn't). Also, my avatar stayed the same, and you won't be hearing from me using the old "display name." Given those hints, the answer is pretty easy to figure out without using your fancy shmancy "profile options." tongue.gif

Shouldn't this be in the MC quiz thread? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Michelle @ Jun 25 2008, 08:54 AM) *

I had to go for No on the school board question, just because I think they could find a better member. I don't have many education-related skills to bring to it. Some grant and fundraising experience that might be helpful, I suppose. I'm sure they could find better, though.

Just wanted to state that a "no" answer here doesn't necessarily mean "die, school system, die!"

OTOH, I at least have a degree that applies to City Council-y things, so that's not an automatic write-off.

I voted "probably not" on the school board thing for the same reasons. If the MCAS is getting so far down the list of possible candidates as to get to me on the school board, considering how little I know about the necessary subjects, we might as well set up one room schoolhouses on every other city block.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jun 27 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 25 2008, 12:05 PM) *

Shouldn't this be in the MC quiz thread? biggrin.gif
I voted "probably not" on the school board thing for the same reasons. If the MCAS is getting so far down the list of possible candidates as to get to me on the school board, considering how little I know about the necessary subjects, we might as well set up one room schoolhouses on every other city block.

Dave you have my vote. I am a very big fan of neighborhood schools. $5.00 a gallon for diesel and we are bussing our kids all over town? When we could start with a little pride in the neighborhood with local schools. I really like it. My neighborhood school now? Nieman, in the middle of a place that corn stalks grow.
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 27 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I tell you one thing this campaign is going to be about: setting priorities.

The first priority should be that every dollar spent, every administrator retained or replaced, and every step of the strategic plan in which we invest should directly impact the education of our students.

That's common sense, yes, but the truth is many of the people making decisions have foregotten that one paramount goal of our schools: to help our children learn.

Our School System is not allowed to be some self-perpetuating monster with carte blanche. This is a corporation we as a community have created and support for the purpose of helping our little ones become strong, capable adults.

So we are going to have to set some priorities that determine the way we spend our tax money; eliminate waste; evaluate our progress; and implement changes. We have decisions to make about how big our administration needs to be, about how it should be led, and about how to best support the work of the teacher in the classroom.

Finally, we all have a chance to make a difference in November. So let's do this thing.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Jun 30 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Marram @ Jun 23 2008, 06:05 PM) *

As in marram grass?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 30 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #16

First of all, boot the incumbents. Second, keep running on SSider's radar screen.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jul 1 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Jun 30 2008, 10:28 AM) *

As in marram grass?

Right! Although I thought using "Grass" as part of my user name might be misconstrued.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jul 21 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Friends:

This is my definitive reply, final answer, and opus ultimus to this thread. It does belong in the Election News, but it is also relevant to this thread; and if you are like me, you do not read the Election Section as often. Future posts related to the school board election will be in that section. Please feel free to PM with any comments or questions.

You may have seen the related story in Saturday's News-Dispatch, but here is my announcement in its entirety. I have included it in the body of this e-mail and as a Word document attachment.

You are all invited to the rally on Monday, 7/21/08, 7:00 pm, at Memorial Park. We would love to have you there.

If you have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to contact me at gregorytuel@yahoo.com or 921-5555.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TELEPHONE: 219-872-4350
CELL PHONE: 219-921-5555
EMAIL: greg@tuel.net
DATE: July 18, 2008

LOCAL ACTIVIST TO RUN FOR SCHOOL BOARD
Greg Tuel Announces Candidacy for Civil City Seat
Rally to be Held on Monday at Memorial Park

Greg Tuel, current President of the Krueger Neighborhood Association (KNA), has announced his intention to seek the Civil City Seat for the Michigan City Area School Board. The race for the School Board will be decided this November 4th during the General Elections. There are three seats being contested: the Civil City Seat, the Coolspring/Pine Township Seat, and the Springfield/Long Beach Township Seat. The following is the text of Tuel’s announcement which he will formally make at a rally this Monday, July 21st, 7:00 pm at Memorial Park:

I am honored to announce my candidacy for the Michigan City School Board, Civil City Seat. I see a lot of work ahead so I am starting early and running hard.

Our School Board needs to do a better job, and the reputation of our school system depends on it. I want to see our leaders acting more like adults for the sake of our children. That means showing respect, communicating better, forging a consensus, being decisive, and standing up for what is right. One thing we can do, in particular, is to bring our experienced teachers and the taxpaying citizens into the decision-making process by changing the rules of order to allow public comment as each issue comes up throughout the board meetings. That would be in the same way our City Council currently runs its meetings.

For our community to develop we need to start retaining our middle class, but we have lost too many of our graduates who have gone on to college, to training schools and to the armed services; and then never come back to Michigan City. If you ask them why they never returned, you find out that our best and our brightest have left in search of greener pastures with better jobs and schools with better reputations. We need to improve our school system to keep those people here, and to bring in new businesses and entrepreneurs. That is what I intend to do.

Every program that we run and administrator that we hire should be focused on what happens in the classroom. To be prepared for future success, every student must master the basics. Throwing money at our problems is definitely not the solution. We need to set our financial priorities and make wise choices so that we can maintain our pre-school, support the all-day kindergarten initiative, and provide programs that keep students from falling behind in grades 1 through 12. Finally, we should bring back the Alternative High School in some form for the sake of those who do not fit the mold of the traditional student and to reduce the amount of distractions in our classes.

I was one of those people who left to get a college education and then chose to return. I believe I can help make this school system one to which others will choose to return. I am not afraid to make changes, and to keep an open mind when it comes to improving our schools. I have a long record of public service – from my days teaching Tiny Seeds classes at St Stans, through my years of service as a Peace Corps Volunteer, to my present position as President of the Krueger Neighborhood Association. I was given the opportunity to be a teacher, and, despite the low salary, I took it because it is both a noble and vital profession. My daughter is my greatest asset – she inspires and humbles me. So too are the children of Michigan City our greatest assets, and they have inspired me to seek this position. Please vote for me, Greg Tuel, on November 4th, and let’s bring back a sense of urgency and mission to our school system.

Candidate Information Sheet

Office sought: MCAS School Board, Civil City Seat

Name: Greg Tuel

Date of birth: 2/12/65

Phone: 219-872-4350 and (cell) 219-921-5555

Residency: Lifelong (except for college, Peace Corps service and 3 years working in MN & IL)

Occupation: Teacher, 6th, 7th, 8th grade Math and Science, St Paul Lutheran School, MC

Number of years: Completed fourth year this June

Other Work Experience: Design Engineer, Landis and Staefa (now Siemen’s Controls); Consultant and Project Manager, DDS Inc.

Schooling: Elston High School, 1983; Notre Dame, 1987; Purdue University, 1997

Church attendance: St. Paul Lutheran and St. Stanislaus

Lodges and clubs:
Currently –
President, Krueger Neighborhood Association (4th year);
Treasurer, President, Michigan City Family YMCA Board of Directors (2004-2008).
Previously –
Treasurer, Social and Learning Institute for the Disadvantaged, Inc (3 years, 2001-2004)
Peace Corps Volunteer, Paraguay (3 years, 1988-1991)

Maritial status: Widowed, Kelly Lynn Tuel (nee Marshall, 12/13/1972 - 1/30/2000)

Number of children: 1 daughter – Jordan, 8 yrs old

IPB Image

Tuel Vying For School Board Spot

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - Greg Tuel, president of the Krueger Neighborhood Association, on Friday announced his candidacy for the civil city seat for the Michigan City Area School Board. That seat is held by Rick Carlson.

The seat is one of three on the Nov. 4 ballot. The others are the Coolspring/ Pine Township seat, held by Clyde Zeek, and the Springfield/Long Beach Township seat, held by Nate Gipson. The filing period begins Wednesday.

"I see a lot of work ahead so I am starting early and running hard," said Tuel in a statement released Friday.

"Our school board needs to do a better job, and the reputation of our school system depends on it. I want to see our leaders acting more like adults for the sake of our children," he said. "That means showing respect, communicating better, forging a consensus, being decisive, and standing up for what is right.

"One thing we can do, in particular, is to bring our experienced teachers and the taxpaying citizens into the decision-making process by changing the rules of order to allow public comment as each issue comes up throughout the board meetings. That would be in the same way our City Council currently runs its meetings."

Tuel said the city needs to retain more of its college graduates to help the city develop.

"If you ask them why they never returned, you find out that our best and our brightest have left in search of greener pastures with better jobs and schools with better reputations. We need to improve our school system to keep those people here, and to bring in new businesses and entrepreneurs. That is what I intend to do."

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 21 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #19

You can count on my support.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jul 21 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 21 2008, 11:02 AM) *

You can count on my support.

Thank you, Roger. I appreciate that.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:30 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com