Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer questions
JHeath
post Jul 11 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I'm just starting to look at purchasing a new PC (sorry, I'm just not a Mac person...).
What should I be looking for? I've kind of fallen behind in keeping up with the rapidly changing facets of computers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 11 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

The only thing I can say is Microsoft is phasing out XP. They plan on having it completly gone by 2012 (I think). So, Vista is the way to go. I've not used it yet, but my coworker has it on his laptop and he likes it better than XP.

So, if you get a new 'puter, make sure it has Windows Vista as the OS

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 11 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

Yeah, they aren't selling XP anymore, so if you see it, avoid it.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 11 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

A good start...but I was looking for more technical advice. Like how much memory, or what speed to seek.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jul 11 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 11 2008, 11:57 AM) *

A good start...but I was looking for more technical advice. Like how much memory, or what speed to seek.

A lot of that is determined by what it is going to be used for. If you're going to use it for gaming or graphics intensive functions, lots of fast memory is a must. Number crunching requires other stuff, etc. I primarily use my machine for websurfing and text based applications, so for me memory isn't a big deal.

Which is to say, I have no idea. You might want to check out what Consumers Reports has to say on the subject.

My next planned computer-related purchase is going to be a wireless laser printer, because I don't like tripping over the wires and I am sick of buying and replacing ink cartridges.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 11 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

My Kaypro is still going strong, but I recently had to add another 5ΒΌ" drive.

Ok, here is something to consider: YOU may never notice the difference between a 3600+ and a 4200+ CPU but your programs may, and the pages you look at may. I saw a Toshiba at Office Max that was around 6 bills, had a 2G Ram, built-in Big Brother webcam, which I thought looked pretty good. I would say 1G ram is the minimum for up-to-date machines. By the way, it was a laptop.

Also, I have vista--HATE IT!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 11 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 11 2008, 11:25 AM) *

The only thing I can say is Microsoft is phasing out XP. They plan on having it completly gone by 2012 (I think). So, Vista is the way to go. I've not used it yet, but my coworker has it on his laptop and he likes it better than XP.

So, if you get a new 'puter, make sure it has Windows Vista as the OS

I would actually recommend staying away from Vista if at all possible. I say if at all possible because any off the shelf PC these days will come with Vista. The issue I have seen with Vista is that it is a memory hog. No matter how much system memory you put in the machine (most max out at 2GB these days) it still runs slow because Vista is a memory hog. I have had at least 15 clients ask me to put XP back on their new machines purchased with Vista for that very reason

Because of these issues, Dell still has 3 or 4 desktop models and I believe 2 laptop models that can be purchased with XP. If your use is just that of a basic home user, ie. surf the net, email, instant message, pictures, music and create word docs etc., then any basic model should suit just fine. Most come these days with a 200 or 250GB hard drive, cd/dvd burners and at least 1GB of memory if not 2GB. If I don't custom build a system for a client I usually steer them toward Dell.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 11 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Jul 11 2008, 02:22 PM) *

... If I don't custom build a system for a client I usually steer them toward Dell.

I'm curious, why a Dell vs. just buying off the shelf at a store (i.e., Office Max or similar)?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 11 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10

Dell has online chat support, or you can call. It's best to use the online chat support because most of the CSR's do not speak english very clearly. Also, if you lose a driver you can download it straight from Dell by inputting your key code. It tells them exactly what machine you have and exactly what you need to fix your problem. Then the online chat support can talk you through the process. Furthermore, it's free for Dell owners.
Dell has an awesome warranty program, and you can get financing straight from Dell.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 11 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 11 2008, 03:09 PM) *

I'm curious, why a Dell vs. just buying off the shelf at a store (i.e., Office Max or similar)?

They all have what I call proprietary software. This is all of the stuff that Dell, HP, etc will put on the machine that is a true nuisance. Dell seems to have the least. Most importantly, if you purchase one off the shelf from Office Max, Office Depot, etc., and you have problems with it, you will most likely have to haul it back to the store for service, repair or replacement. Purchase from Dell and every machine comes with an automatic 1 year onsite service (of course you can purchase longer periods). If you have problems with a warrantied Dell, they come to you, you don't have to take it aywhere. I think that is a huge plus when considering a new PC purchase.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 11 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

All very helpful...and interesting. Thanks, all! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jul 11 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

If I took my computer to a pro, could they clean up some of the applications that run in the background? Whenever I check my machine, it seems like there are about 30 processes going, and I have to think they slow down the whole thing.

Maybe I should just get a new computer and run Windows 98 on it.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 11 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 11 2008, 05:11 PM) *

If I took my computer to a pro, could they clean up some of the applications that run in the background? Whenever I check my machine, it seems like there are about 30 processes going, and I have to think they slow down the whole thing.

Some processes are necessary, but without a doubt yes it can be cleaned up to run more smoothly and efficiently.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jul 11 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

The library has a few books that give you step-by-step instructions on degunking some of the stuff from your computer, if you're looking to save a little cash. Pro help is always good, of course, but I used the books to get rid of the Vista functions that I don't use.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 12 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 11 2008, 05:11 PM) *

If you have windows defender, or most other programs like it on your computer, they will tell you what programs are running on your computer, and what ones fire on the start up. They also allow you to "turn off" the ones you don't want. If you have a questions about what a particular program does, copy it into google and there will plenty of info about what it is for.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 12 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

windows defender? what's that?
+Quote Post
januarygirl63
post Jul 12 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #17

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 784

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]
QUOTE(kharris @ Jul 11 2008, 02:22 PM) *

I would actually recommend staying away from Vista if at all possible. I say if at all possible because any off the shelf PC these days will come with Vista. The issue I have seen with Vista is that it is a memory hog. No matter how much system memory you put in the machine (most max out at 2GB these days) it still runs slow because Vista is a memory hog. I have had at least 15 clients ask me to put XP back on their new machines purchased with Vista for that very reason

Because of these issues, Dell still has 3 or 4 desktop models and I believe 2 laptop models that can be purchased with XP. If your use is just that of a basic home user, ie. surf the net, email, instant message, pictures, music and create word docs etc., then any basic model should suit just fine. Most come these days with a 200 or 250GB hard drive, cd/dvd burners and at least 1GB of memory if not 2GB. If I don't custom build a system for a client I usually steer them toward Dell.

I agree with you. My friend's son went off to college and had purchased a laptop with Vista and I guess he's had nothing but problems with it. I know Windows had planned to phase out XP, but from what I understand, they've gotten so many complaints about it that they may be having second thoughts. I sure hope so, anyway!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 12 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3

Had big problems with Dell, all just a short time after the warranty expired, and they seem to have a bad rep with techs I talked to. I would never get one again, and I even called them to have them quit crowding my mailbox with junk mail. Dell no!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jul 12 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

Meh, I actually like Vista, but I haven't had any problems with it. Most people seem to hate it, so it's probably better to look for XP.
+Quote Post
januarygirl63
post Jul 13 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #20

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 784

I read up on the Windows XP deal last night and unfortunately, they have already stopped selling the Windows XP programs as of June 30th. I think they will still offer support for it until 2015, from what I remember reading.

I've also heard horror stories with Dell computers. We had an e-Machines 2005 model that ended up burning out on us....and right now, we're using one that was rebuilt. Really don't know what brand it is, must be something generic, but hey....if it runs and works great, who cares?!! We've had this one for well over a year and have no complaints!! Personally speaking, if we were to get a brand new one, I think I may go with Hewlett Packard. Anyone hear bad things about them?????
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:15 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com