Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

http://www.footballzebras.com/2012/01/17/2861

John Parry to officiate Super Bowl XLVI
Assignments
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 – 12:27 pm | leave a comment
by Ben Austro
John Parry, who headed his crew in the epic Saints-49ers playoff game on Saturday, is headed to Indianapolis to serve as the crew chief in Super Bowl XLVI.
As we noted on Sunday, we said he “won” the weekend amongst a field of solid officiating in most of this year’s playoff games. He (and his crew) was our pick the best of the divisional playoffs, since they maintained tight control of a game that see-sawed back and forth. One questionable call could have easily affected the outcome of the game.
Here is the crew that Parry will be leading, with the regular-season crews each official belongs to:
R — #132 John Parry (12th year, 5th as referee)*
U — #124 Carl Paganelli (13th year, Jerome Boger)
HL — #24 Tom Stabile (17th year, Scott Green)
LJ — #108 Gary Arthur (15th year, Ron Winter)*
FJ — #60 Gary Cavaletto (9th year, Tony Corrente)*
SJ — #125 Laird Hayes (17th year, Carl Cheffers)*
BJ — #112 Tony Steratore (12th year, Boger)
*Four officials have experience in this year’s playoffs. Assigned to games in the Wild Card round were Arthur (Steelers-Broncos), Cavaletto (Lions-Saints), and Hayes (Falcons-Giants); and Parry is the aforementioned divisional playoff game.
There are five alternate officials also assigned to the Super Bowl to enter the game in case of an injury. They include Alberto Riverón ®, Bill Schuster (U from Gene Steratore’s crew), Wayne Mackie (HL, also from Steratore’s crew), Don Carlsen (SJ from Pete Morelli’s crew), Greg Wilson (BJ from Corrente’s crew). All of the alternates had assignments in this year’s playoffs, including Riverón’s assignment to the AFC Championship.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/104585...fety-dance.html

MC native does the safety dance

By Mark Lazerus 648-3140 or mlazerus@post-trib.com February 5, 2012 11:22PM

Updated: February 6, 2012 2:04AM

Michigan City native and referee John Parry didn’t take long to make his mark on Super Bowl XLVI.

On New England’s very first offensive play of the game — pinned at its own 6-yard line thanks to a punt by Crown Point native Steve Weatherford — Brady dropped back to pass and faced heavy pressure from New York’s Justin Tuck.

To avoid the sack, Brady heaved the ball way downfield — to nobody in particular. As the crowd roared, the officials huddled in the end zone before Parry ruled it was intentional grounding. Since the penalty occurred in the end zone, it was a safety, and the Giants had a 2-0 lead.

It was the seventh safety in Super Bowl history. Oddly enough, the Giants have been involved in two of the other six. In Super Bowl XXI, George Martin sacked Denver’s John Elway in the end zone. In Super Bowl XXV, Buffalo’s Bruce Smith sacked New York’s Jeff Hostetler in the end zone.

Hoosier helpers: A pair of guys with Indiana ties played a big role for the Giants. Weatherford put three of his four punts inside the 20, two inside the 10. And Tuck, a Notre Dame graduate, had two sacks and forced the safety.

“It’s great to win it in Indiana, but I don’t care where we won it, just that we won it,” Tuck said.

Proud papa: Archie Manning’s sons have now combined for three Super Bowl wins, and youngest son Eli might have made himself a viable Hall of Fame candidate with his second Super Bowl MVP. Peyton is already a lock.

“I don’t know anything about the Hall of Fame,” Archie Manning said after the game when asked about the possibility of having two sons enshrined in Canton, Ohio.

But he did say it was extra special to have Eli win the Super Bowl in Lucas Oil Stadium, the house that Peyton built.

“I think it’s special because of the city here,” he said. “This city has meant a lot to our family for 14 years, and I’ve been here all week. The city did a great job, and this building looked beautiful. That’s a credit to the NFL — this whole thing, Madonna, the city and the game. It was a hell of a football game. Yes, it is special.”

Injury report: The Giants were down their top two tight ends during their game-winning drive. Travis Beckum tore his ACL in the first half, and Jake Ballard hurt his knee in the fourth quarter.

Noteworthy: The Patriots’ 96-yard TD drive at the end of the half tied the Bears in Super Bowl XX and the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV for the longest in Super Bowl history. … With a four-point margin of victory, this was the most “lopsided” of New England’s five Super Bowls under Bill Belichick. … New England won the coin toss, ending a streak of 14 straight wins by the NFC. The Patriots deferred, and the Giants had planned to receive, anyway, so it didn’t matter.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 14 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...13159567493.txt

Super stage

John Parry (left) and back judge Tony Steratore (right) pose with James Gale, the NFL Play 60 Super Kid prior to Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5 in Indianapolis. Associated Press photo
Super Bowl XLVI crew chief, City native John Parry talks about working the NFL’s premier game
By Drew White
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:14 AM CST
INDIANAPOLIS - The coin flip prior to a football game is generally a standard formality to John Parry.

As a National Football League referee, he has been conducting them ever since becoming a crew chief in the 2007 season.

However, the coin flip he conducted a few weeks ago was just a little different.

“I was most nervous about the coin toss as I was anything else about the weekend,” says Parry, a Rogers High School graduate and officiating crew chief for Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis. “A lot of people don’t know that there is a history of flubs with the coin toss at the Super Bowl.”

As opposed to every other game Parry works over the course of an NFL season in which he uses a traditional 50-cent piece, the veteran official had little time to get acquainted with the coin he would flip in front of an estimated 111.3 million television viewers. The coin was delivered to him just 10 minutes prior to the coin flip of February 5’s game at Lucas Oil Stadium.

“You look at it and try to figure out which side is tails and which side is heads,” Parry said. “You just hope it sticks in your head.

“It seemed to go okay and we didn’t have any issues.”

Parry - the son of former athletic director, coach, and teacher David Parry - was working his second Super Bowl overall, but first as a crew chief. He had previously served as a line judge in Super Bowl XLI, in which the Colts defeated the Bears in Miami.

On the heels of his father’s passing last May, John said it was satisfying to cap off the recently completed season by returning to his home state for the big game. This year’s Super Bowl was the first ever played in Indianapolis.

“This year was very different,” Parry said. “I didn’t have those weekly phone calls from him to prepare or the phone calls after a game that I know he’d watched. He is gone, but he has been a big part of what I do.”

The elder Parry had officiated in the NFL before eventually serving as both the Big Ten Conference’s Coordinator of Officials as well as becoming the first National Coordinator of Officials. In addition to John, three other officials in this year’s Super Bowl were Big Ten officials under David’s tenure - umpire Carl Paganelli, line judge Gary Arthur, and back judge Tony Steratore.

“My dad would regularly dissect the Super Bowl crew and try to determine how many guys came from the Big Ten or midwest roots,” Parry said. “I’m sure he was grinning ear-to-ear knowing that over 50 percent of the on-field officials working the game came from the Big Ten.”

In addition to this year’s Super Bowl, Parry also worked the NFC Divisional Playoff between San Francisco and New Orleans - a game that saw the 49ers and Saints exchange leads four times before San Francisco prevailed.

“That was probably the best football-played game I’ve ever officiated in,” Parry said of the divisional playoff game. “It was a phenomenal finish, outstanding play, and lead changes all in a playoff environment. I’m not sure if it could’ve gotten any better.

Parry said his nerves started catching up to him in the week leading up to the Super Bowl, but they were nerves that weren’t too uncommon. The day of the game, leading up to kickoff was especially rough.

“I have butterflies before every game,” Parry said. “I can promise you that the day I don’t have those, I’ll know it is time for me to hang it up.

“The day of the game, we had our final pregame meeting, and I was OK through that. For the three hours after that, I couldn’t find saliva.”

However, once he got past the coin flip and the ball was kicked off, it was business as usual for Parry and his crew.

On the game’s second drive, Parry flagged New England quarterback Tom Brady for intentional grounding within the endzone, which resulted in a safety and two points for the Giants.

The intentional grounding rule was one that Parry and his crew spent plenty of time brushing up on because of the elite status of Brady and New York quarterback Eli Manning.

“Because of the quarterbacks involved and their skill level and knowledge of when they can or can’t dump a football, we spent quite a bit of time on that type of play,” Parry said. “Everybody thinks it was my call, which it was because the flag came from me, but mechanically that took three people to get it correct. The back judge and the umpire officiated that play perfect, which made me look good.

“I was pleased that we were well prepared. We were proud of that play.”

The Giants defeated the Patriots and Indianapolis received rave reviews for its hosting of the event. Parry, who spent time living in the city before moving to his current home state of Ohio, said it was no surprise to him that Indiana’s state capital did so well.

“The National Football League was thrilled with their ability to prepare and deliver, and of course Mother Nature certainly helped out with good weather,” Parry said. “I think the city was extremely well prepared and they’re used to that traffic flow for these types of events.”

Among the things he did in the days afterward was to catch up on some sleep that he had been missing.

“I was exhausted,” Parry said. “Monday and Tuesday, I probably slept 10-to-12 hours each night. I hadn’t slept real well in the days leading up to the game.

“We go through it every year, but this year was a little bit more with the playoffs and the Super Bowl.”

Within 24 hours of working the big game, Parry had returned home and was getting back to a sense of normalcy - one that will last until the NFL kicks off again next fall.

“Sunday night at 6:30 we kicked off the Super Bowl, four hours later it was done,” Parry said. “I traveled home Monday and at 6:30 I was taking out the garbage just like I do every Monday night.

“Life returns to normal pretty quick.”

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 21 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

John Parry is going to be the referee for the Pro Bowl on Sunday.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:05 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com