Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fire Destroys House on Fulton Street, Limited access for emergencies
mcvoter
post Apr 27 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

A home located at the sw corner of Fulton and Washinton streets was destroyed by fire last night. 1 occupant was asleep upstairs, heard the fire alarm, tried to escape downstairs, could not because of billowing smoke, and was forced to break out an upstairs window and jump from the roof. Fortunately, there were no human casualties, however, 2 cats were not as fortunate (another occupant and a small child were out of the house at the time).

This is the kicker - because of the demolition of Fulton and Washington streets, the only access to the home was in the narrow alleyway between Fulton and Tillotson Street, and then, only 1 fire truck could gain access. Other trucks were not able to gain access to the site, and if they had access, might have been able to minimize the damage. There was also some type of problem with 1 of the new hydrants in the area. 1 police car, who arrived in front of the fire truck in the alley actually drove off the end of the alley and became stuck in the soft dirt/mud of Washington street. I thought the city was supposed to provide emergency access at all times to neighboorhoods in situations like this and I thought that the contractor was supposed to secure a permit/notification through the city to notify all emergency response teams of limited access. Something was missing here ----

I guess my point is that if infrastructure/road work is scheduled in your neighboorhood, be sure that emergency response can have full access to ALL homes at ALL times - no matter who you need to complain to --
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 27 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Thank you so much for that information! I saw a blip about it on Feedback and was wondering what happened. the N-D online didn't have anything on it today. I appreciate the update. Do you know if anyone helped the man trapped inside?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 27 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 27 2007, 02:35 PM) *

Thank you so much for that information! I saw a blip about it on Feedback and was wondering what happened. the N-D online didn't have anything on it today. I appreciate the update. Do you know if anyone helped the man trapped inside?

Your welcome - I believe it was a neighboor who coaxed him off of the roof ---
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 27 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 27 2007, 02:51 PM) *

Your welcome - I believe it was a neighboor who coaxed him off of the roof ---

The rumor is that it was John Sheets, one of the owners of 3 Sheets Bar & Grill (just around the corner from the house). I would not be surprised to learn that he was, in fact, the person that helped. John is the type of guy who would help anyone out in a pinch. He and his wife, Sherry, are two of the best people I know.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 27 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 27 2007, 02:46 PM) *

The rumor is that it was John Sheets, one of the owners of 3 Sheets Bar & Grill (just around the corner from the house). I would not be surprised to learn that he was, in fact, the person that helped. John is the type of guy who would help anyone out in a pinch. He and his wife, Sherry, are two of the best people I know.

Agreed. I've known John Sheets since 7th grade at Elston Junior High School (ooph, now I'm dating myself!) and even in junior high, John was a nice guy.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 30 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20.../28/news/n1.txt

Smoke alarm alerts homeowners
By Georgette Senter, The News-Dispatch

At daybreak Friday, Dennis and Sandra Burke realized how lucky they were and how much worse things could have been.

Just before 11 p.m. Thursday, a smoke alarm in their house at the corner of Fulton and Washington streets awakened Dennis Burke, who had retired to the upstairs bedroom, while Sandra Burke was visiting a neighbor.

With the house on fire, Dennis Burke managed to get safely out of the house as firefighters responded and quickly extinguished the blaze.

For weeks, the streets around their home have been torn up as the city installed new sewers.

Judy Niec, who lives across from the Burkes said it wasn't until she saw flames coming from the house that she realized the impact of an emergency amid major construction.

Fire Chief Randy Novak said the department works closely with construction crews to keep up on the project.

“We get reports daily and send out crews to survey construction sites like the one around the Burke home,” Novak said. “It is our job to keep up on access to all homes in the city and have plans to implement for any emergency.”

The department also gets reports of working and non-working hydrants and all trucks are equipped with universal couplings that fit all hoses and hydrants, he said.

Novak said the department received the call at 10:32 p.m. Thursday and arrived at 10:36 p.m.

“After assessing the fire it was determined that one truck was needed in the alley the rest of the trucks were placed for staging less than a block away in the St. Joseph Young Men's Club parking lot and a former drive-in's lot,” Novak said, adding that 19 firefighters, one battalion chief and three officers were at the scene.

Dennis Burke said he tried to use the stairs to get out of the house, but heavy smoke and heat forced him to climb through a second floor front window, where he was assisted down by several neighbors.

“They saved my life,” he said about the smoke detectors in his home. He was taken to St. Anthony Memorial by the LaPorte County EMS, where he was treated and released.

In addition Fire Capt. Rick Santana was taken to St. Anthony Memorial were he was treated for an asthma attack and released.

Deputy Chief Chuck Greis said that the fire was out in 40 minutes and that damage was contained to the living room, an adjoining room and extended to the roof area from the first floor.

Four engine companies and an aerial platform along with command vehicle and three staff were on the scene, as were the LaPorte County Emergency Medical Service, the Michigan City Police Department and NIPSCO. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Novak added that Friday afternoon firefighters returned to the neighborhood to speak with residents about the importance of having working smoke detectors.

“We will be offering detectors to those who have not had one and are in need,” said Novak. “Mr. Burke is living proof that detectors work.”

Contact Georgette Senter at gsenter@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:37 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com