post Jan 3 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46259.11

1/3/2008 9:27:00 AM
Council Starts Feeling 'Positive'
Four new members laud common ground, say they are ready to work with mayor, each other

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - While they didn't do much but listen Wednesday night, the four newest members of the Michigan City Common Council participated enough to get a good feeling about the upcoming year.

"My first reaction was, we have a lot of common ground," new 1st Ward councilman Richard Murphy said after listening to Mayor Chuck Oberlie read his yearly state of the city address. "It makes me feel positive starting off."

Murphy, 2nd Ward Democrat Marc Espar and at-large Democrats Bob McKee and Angie Starks each attended their first meeting as council members Wednesday, and voted to name 3rd Ward councilman Ron Meer board president.

They also voted outgoing president Willie Milsap, D-5th Ward, vice president.

Starks said Wednesday she was glad Oberlie gave his state of the city address at the council's first meeting of the year instead of waiting.

"I felt it was critical to do it as soon as possible. We have to hear him first so we have some direction," she said. "It gives us something to think about and to work with." Espar, who defeated longtime councilman Paul Przybylinski in the Democratic primary, said Wednesday got him ready for the next four years.

"I'm excited. I'm really looking forward to working with the mayor and the council," he said. "I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work."

McKee, who was voted parliamentarian of the council Wednesday, lauded the individuals he'll be working with throughout his term, and applauded Oberlie's state of the city, in which the mayor outlined plans for the city's North End.

McKee has been a proponent of North End redevelopment.

"I think we have a good solid team of people to work with," he said. "The mayor laid out some good plans and it's up to us to move what we can move forward."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 3 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I am glad to see new faces, but still too many Oberlinians.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 3 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I think they misquoted Espar, it should be working FOR the mayor, not WITH.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 3 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

"Don't be recumbent for the incumbents." That is gonna be my lawn sign copy.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:55 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com