Southsider2k12
post Apr 30 2009, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=22836

GOING ALL OUT
City's Strader uses extra effort in record run.

Nick Dettmann
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - Phil Strader was so exhausted, he couldn't think about what he had just done.

The Michigan City senior kicked it into another gear, using every ounce of energy he had en route to setting a school record in the 3,200-meter run Tuesday.

Strader crossed the finish line first with a time of 9:47.74, shattering the previous mark set by Todd Wolter in 2007 with a time of 9:56.17.

Strader's run was one of a few bright spots during a dual meet in which the Wolves were thoroughly outmatched in by Valparaiso. The Vikings won the meet, 106-26.

"It is what I wanted him to do this year," City coach Mike Liss said. "So I set that goal for him."

Strader was so drained from his effort, he had to be lifted off the track after crossing the finish line and was carried off for a couple minutes after the race to help get his breath back.

Once he was finally able to collect himself, he realized what he had done.

"I was dead when I got to the finish line," Strader said. "... Now it's more excitement knowing that I have (the record)."

It is the second record Strader either has or shares at City. He, along with Craig Fettig, Nolan Fine and Robbie Loop, share the 3,200 relay record set at last year's regional.

Normally, Strader doesn't do the 3,200. But on Tuesday, he did it because Liss believed Strader had a shot at the record, and because Liss wanted to use the race for distance training.

"We talked about a record attempt," Liss said. "I'm sure he probably could've won the 1,600, but I'm not sure he would've been able to win or set a school record in the 3,200 had he won a 1,600.

"That's one thing we talked about were a couple of school records. Now that he's achieved one, he's going to be more relaxed and work on another one."

Strader didn't find out he was going to run the race until school ended.

"I just got to do what I gotta do," he said. "He wants me to break (the record). I'm going to try my hardest to do it."

"Today, he just wanted to get distance on me. ... It turned into something bigger than that."

Breaking the 3,200 record was certainly a surprise, especially since Strader's previous personal best was 10:30. It also capped what has been a special previous 48 hours for Strader. On Monday, Strader announced he was going to Calumet College on a scholarship.

He wants to study secondary education and be a running coach.

"I just got to step it up to the next level," Strader said. "I've got to go from being a high school student to being a college student, and training harder.

"... Coach just told me I had to break the (3,200) record and I wanted to please him and do that," Strader said.

Before he heads off to college, Strader has one more record he's going for - the 1,600 run. He is at about a 4:32 in the mile, and the record is six seconds faster than that.

Of the other bright spots on a rather gloomy day, Fettig had himself a good afternoon. He went a season-best 2:03.60 in the 800 to give him a first-place finish.

Aaron Griffin gave City its only other victory, winning the 110 hurdles with a 15.27.

James Patrick just missed out on the high jump, clearing 5 feet, 10 1/2 inches. Matt Hills of Valparaiso cleared 6 feet. Nate Scully took second in the long jump at 19-7.5.

"It's tough for us to match up with two bus loads (of kids)," Liss said. "But we did the best we could."

Contact sports writer Nick Dettmann at ndettmann@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:44 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com