Guests cannot vote 
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #21

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Hahaha, TIM! lolzzzz111BBQ1!

It'll be a really friendly gathering! Anyone that knows me I'm sure would say that I'm a friendly person, no question. I guess I'm coming off like an ass but I really can't help it when it comes to food, I'm totally jaded but I'll be the first one to admit it.
Indy, being that you're from Indy, you'll more than likely know one of my old destination restaurants, Dodd's Townhouse, which unfortunately closed. My bible for traveling is Mike and Jane Stern's RoadFood! Proof that I'll eat just about anything as long as the quality is there!

Signature Bar
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Oct 26 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

Ryan's food is an excellent value imo--not gourmet or anything, but fine. They have an admirable beer list though. I'm in if we go there.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 26 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #23

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 26 2009, 05:46 PM) *

but yeah, the best restaurant in town is my kitchen! smile.gif

So you're volunteering to host?

Hey everybody! Party at CCR's house!!!! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 26 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #24

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 26 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Sweet!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 26 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10

Well, the point of the meet and greet is not to dine on fine cuisine, but to meet and enjoy each other's company. Good food is a bonus but it's not the reason for the get together. Hell, I'd be fine if we met at McD's.

I'm up for Ryan's. I've only been there once and it wasn't a great experience. The service was bad and the food was cold, but the point is to hang out with you guys. So there. However, since we're doing local owned, how about Holly's? I know it's not on the north end (Sorry Dave), but they do have good food and good service if that's what is so important.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 26 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #26

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 26 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Cool! I throw up a lot at these things - but as long as I know where your laundry hamper is I'm good to go!
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 27 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

I am up for anywhere (other than Reilly's) preferably in town. I love Holly's, but you might check on them Ang, I believe they close earlier than anywhere else.

I would offer to host, but afraid CCR would give our kitchen a bad inspection rating tongue.gif .

By the way CCR, I also used to love Dodd's. I am ashamed though - did not realize that they had closed - I became pretty much a southsider the last many years I lived there, except for an occasional trip to the center city.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 27 2009, 06:49 AM
Post #28

Really Comfortable

I'd love to have a party at my house but we'd wind up gathering around an outdoor fire pit drinking vin chaud, my house is TINY! lol

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 27 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #29

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Oct 27 2009, 06:40 AM) *

I am up for anywhere (other than Reilly's) preferably in town.

Come on! No Reilly's?? Think of it - crap food, no-care service - and a severe beating on your way out the door!

It could become a new MC holiday tradition!

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 28 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #30

Really Comfortable

Ha, we could all go there and bring video cameras!

Indy, after thinking about that for a second, there is ONE thing that I haven't shared with you about Ryan's which might add to my disdain over the place. When I was 21, I came home with a friend of mine for Easter weekend. While having a couple "pops" over at Ryan's I noticed there was a commotion going on and my friend was involved. I started talking to the guy who was upset with my friend for whatever reason and said, "come to the bar so I can buy you a drink." I turned around and BAM, hit in the face with a beer bottle. The bottle didn't break but my forehead did and I was sent to the hospital to get 25 stitches. Ryan's never really cooperated with the police on that case, the guy was never arrested and I still have a scar. So yeah, there's a little history there that I didn't mention. unsure.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 28 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 28 2009, 03:08 PM) *
Ha, we could all go there and bring video cameras!

Indy, after thinking about that for a second, there is ONE thing that I haven't shared with you about Ryan's which might add to my disdain over the place. When I was 21, I came home with a friend of mine for Easter weekend. While having a couple "pops" over at Ryan's I noticed there was a commotion going on and my friend was involved. I started talking to the guy who was upset with my friend for whatever reason and said, "come to the bar so I can buy you a drink." I turned around and BAM, hit in the face with a beer bottle. The bottle didn't break but my forehead did and I was sent to the hospital to get 25 stitches. Ryan's never really cooperated with the police on that case, the guy was never arrested and I still have a scar. So yeah, there's a little history there that I didn't mention. unsure.gif

I can see how that might put anyone off!!!

But did you say when you were 21? Why am I now sure I am old enough to be your Mother. I am an old lady of 53 and a really short one at that - fiery Irish temper though ohmy.gif .

We would offer to host, but cannot absolutely guarantee we will be here as we are expecting our first grandchild in the month of December to be born in Pittsburgh. We love you all, but if that baby waits until then to be born, we will be in Pittsburgh!

I did have another thought today as I was driving around. Has anyone been to the Ritz Klub? How is it as an option - I have not been there.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 28 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #32

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Oct 28 2009, 03:27 PM) *

I can see how that might put anyone off!!!

But did you say when you were 21? Why am I now sure I am old enough to be your Mother. I am an old lady of 53 and a really short one at that - fiery Irish temper though ohmy.gif .

We would offer to host, but cannot absolutely guarantee we will be here as we are expecting our first grandchild in the month of December to be born in Pittsburgh. We love you all, but if that baby waits until then to be born, we will be in Pittsburgh!

I did have another thought today as I was driving around. Has anyone been to the Ritz Klub? How is it as an option - I have not been there.

Yes, you are old enough to be my mother, if you had me at 18.

The Ritz club is a riot. Wine and beer only and I think it's still owned by the same lady. When I was in college we used to go there to drink beer and play pool on a 6' table. I think the games are a quarter or maybe even free. I can't remember the owners name but she'd run out to buy cigarettes and just leave the bar! It was self serve and honor system, lol.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 28 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 2

I just drove by there today, and notice Ryan's is for sale. The entire building, business, and equipment are listed as being on the block according to the sign on the side of the building.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Oct 28 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #34

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

[quote name='ChickenCityRoller' date='Oct 26 2009, 05:46 PM' post='24471']
Haha, no that's not the reason I haven't been at any of the gatherings, lol. I'll go just about anywhere for a drink, 80 proof and stronger kills most of the bacteria. smile.gif Timing has been the issue, I think the first winter, I was in Florida and the last one I just didn't feel like driving in the blizzard. I think that was it.

I'd rather buy a sammich at Panini-Panini and get some good homemade food that's fresh, healthy and priced right but very simple than go to a "fancy" restaurant, pay $$ and get sub par service and food.

Restaurants in the area that are privledged enough to have me not only (A) cross thier threashold biggrin.gif but ( cool.gif even order some food and be happy are: Bartletts, Duneland Beach Inn, Panini Panini, Stop 50 Pizza to name a few.

We really don't eat out a whole bunch simply because the options are limited. In many cases, food from the restaurant is bad for you even though you might not notice it. That crouton that was brushed with Sysco's "butter" flavoring, the heavy seasoning of certain dishes, preservatives that are on lot's of veggies that come "fresh chopped" because the chef thinks they'll save money that way, it all adds up.

All that said, I don't care where we go and unless I'm out of town, I PROMISE to make this one.
but yeah, the best restaurant in town is my kitchen! :

I am all for it! CBTL get together at CCR's crib.......home of the turbo charged BBQ grill. You should post another picture of that bad boy!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 29 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #35

Really Comfortable

Actually, if Ryan's is out The Ritz Club is actually sounding intriguing - at least from a MC nostalgia standpoint. Anyone been there lately?
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 29 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 28 2009, 09:53 PM) *
I just drove by there today, and notice Ryan's is for sale. The entire building, business, and equipment are listed as being on the block according to the sign on the side of the building.

That sign has been there for quite a long time. We did a small pub crawl to celebrate Michelle's birthday last month and Ryan's was our last stop. I asked them about the sale. (Actually I noticed that a majority of the bars in town were for sale - either posted with signs or listed through a real estate agency). Basically I was told it had been for sale for awhile, as were many in MC, and I commented that I hoped it would not occur.

Ryan's really does have one of the best bars as far as quality tap options and both quality and quantity of all drinking options (other than I did not check their wine offerings). We have eaten there for lunch several times and a few times for dinner in the last year and always had good service. The food is plain, but inexpensive comparably. I am not as healthy of an eater as you, CCR - I was raised on meat, potatoes and lots of gravy. Yet somehow our children became vegetarians, which proves food really is a personal preference - either that or their Mother was a really bad cook LOL. sad.gif

That said, I understand others on this board have not had that experience there...but a thought did occur to me. I have not been there on a Friday or Saturday night. If I am in MC and go out on a weekend night, it is more likely to listen to some music in Rocks bar at Blue Chip and/or play in the poker room. All establishments have the potential for a different atmosphere on the weekend, compared to week nights and daytime, just due to the patrons at those times. (Ask Michelle sometime to tell you about her first experience walking in to Ryan's when she moved here.)

I am up for a new experience so if Ritz Klub is more acceptable, that will add to my experiences.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 29 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #37

Really Comfortable

Ritz Club and I'll bring the BBQ and chafing trays?

**watch, everyone will get sick from my cooking, lol

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 29 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #38

Really Comfortable

IPB Image

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
southyards
post Oct 29 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(Tim @ Oct 29 2009, 01:45 AM) *

Actually, if Ryan's is out The Ritz Club is actually sounding intriguing - at least from a MC nostalgia standpoint. Anyone been there lately?

Ritz is alive & well. After many years, it’s still owned by Phyllis & Rich and is still a hoot. I believe the pool table is still free. Beverages are beer/wine only. If you haven’t finished your drink & someone buys you another one, they give you a ‘wooden nickel’ token that’s good when you’re ready to have another. Their large draft beer schooner is a challenge – holds 32 or 36 oz. ! I’ve added a snapshot from this summer to this post. If the Ritz is being considered, why not stop in for a quick, cold one and see what you think? It’s the next building west of Ryan’s Pub on 4th Street. If they do make it to the “finals”, I’d let them know, in case they need an extra person on duty. . . . . . . . and remember - it's not a fine dining restaurant, it's a tavern.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 29 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #40

Really Comfortable

they serve food there? I only thought it was liquid lunches.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:42 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com