Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How about a CBTL "Swap Shop"?
CaddyRich
post Sep 11 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 756

Hey admins...here's an idea. How about a CBTL "swap shop" - an online garage sale as it were. No spam...no businesses...no hookers...keep it to 3-4 items per member. I don't want to use the term "Cr**slist" to describe it, but you know what I mean. Just an idea...let me know what you think!

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 11 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Caddy, we'll discuss this idea and get back to ya.

In the meantime, what do the other members think? I would like everyone's input on this to help us come to a decision.

Thanks.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 12 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

I help run a much bigger board for the White Sox and we do a ticket exchange on there. The big rule there is that we don't sell anything over face value. I know that wouldn't be applicable here, but the big thing is that we would want to make sure of a few of things.

#1 That everything is on the up and up.

#2 The website itself will take NO responsibility for the transactions.

We could also think about requirements to be able to buy and sell items, such as minimum post counts, or some sort of extra registry with the site's administration that includes name, address, and phone numbers of people who want to participate to add another potential security step.

As the owner of the site, I think it could be a good idea, but we have to make sure that all who want to be involved are ok with the potential risk involved. I know 99.9% of the time everything is fine, but just in case, I do want to emphasize the potential of problems that could occur, just to be safe.

Thoughts?
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 12 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Sep 12 2009, 08:50 AM) *

I help run a much bigger board for the White Sox and we do a ticket exchange on there. The big rule there is that we don't sell anything over face value. I know that wouldn't be applicable here, but the big thing is that we would want to make sure of a few of things.

#1 That everything is on the up and up.

#2 The website itself will take NO responsibility for the transactions.

We could also think about requirements to be able to buy and sell items, such as minimum post counts, or some sort of extra registry with the site's administration that includes name, address, and phone numbers of people who want to participate to add another potential security step.

As the owner of the site, I think it could be a good idea, but we have to make sure that all who want to be involved are ok with the potential risk involved. I know 99.9% of the time everything is fine, but just in case, I do want to emphasize the potential of problems that could occur, just to be safe.

Thoughts?

I was going to reccommend doing some sort of "Who's Hiring?" type of thing.
+Quote Post
digger262
post Sep 12 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 771

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Sep 11 2009, 05:21 PM) *

Hey admins...here's an idea. How about a CBTL "swap shop" - an online garage sale as it were. No spam...no businesses...no hookers...keep it to 3-4 items per member. I don't want to use the term "Cr**slist" to describe it, but you know what I mean. Just an idea...let me know what you think!

A couple things I've seen on other boards that make this type of thing successful:

1) Members must have X number of posts(usually 20-50) before being allowed to sell/swap anything. This keeps people from just selling things and not being part of the 'community' and also keeps selling 'bots out.

2) Everything must be included in the post. No links to other websites where the actual sales occur.

3) Hookers are allowed and encouraged.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 12 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(digger262 @ Sep 12 2009, 12:50 PM) *

A couple things I've seen on other boards that make this type of thing successful:

1) Members must have X number of posts(usually 20-50) before being allowed to sell/swap anything. This keeps people from just selling things and not being part of the 'community' and also keeps selling 'bots out.

2) Everything must be included in the post. No links to other websites where the actual sales occur.

3) Hookers are allowed and encouraged.

#2 and #3 are very excellent points. smile.gif

#2 will be a requirement for sure if we do this.
+Quote Post
CSchwanke
post Sep 12 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 944

This site would need more members to make it worthwhile, however that could help add membership at the same time. I have seen other boards make members make a donation like $25.00 per year to be able to post items for sale although anyone can view the items for sale. This keeps out the junk sellers, selling bots, etc....The collected money is then used for upkeep of the site and server space.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 14 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #8

That's not a bad idea, but the site is fine financially. It is pretty much a zero cost for it. I do believe we can keep the bots and spammers out without much trouble. Personally I am most worried about things being safe for people who are regulars here.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 14 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #9

How about this: If you've got something you want to get rid of, post it along with the amount you're asking for it. If anyone is interested, they can PM you. If you're looking for something, post that along with the amount you're willing pay. If anyone has it and the amount is fair, again-PM. This way, the barter is done privately and we won't have a bunch of personal info on the board. Use this thread to post the item.

For example: I need dishes/glasses/silverware. When I left WY I gave all the stuff away cause it was mis-matched, etc. Pretty soon I'm going to be moving into a place of my own and will need all that, so if anyone has any, PM me and we'll discuss how much you want for it.
Thanks.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Sep 14 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

That's kind of the idea I was thinking - simple, private, no liability...using PM makes it very easy, IMO

For example, I have an old Beatles album, Introducing The Beatles, which came out right before the blockbuster Meet The Beatles. No scratches, great shape. Someone who is into Beatles memorabilia should be all over this. I'm looking to get $80 out of it...any questions, let me know. Thanks!

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Sep 14 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I would say it's not a bad idea if we all had something in common, such as being White Sox fans. Otherwise, craigslist has the free, local market cornered with a much larger audience. I tend to get the most $ on ebay.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 14 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

I forsee this being Michigan City's version of ebaymotors.com
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Sep 14 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Sep 14 2009, 09:35 AM) *

That's not a bad idea, but the site is fine financially. It is pretty much a zero cost for it. I do believe we can keep the bots and spammers out without much trouble. Personally I am most worried about things being safe for people who are regulars here.

I say we consult Dave for a disclaimer. He is pretty good at em!
+Quote Post
southyards
post Sep 15 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

Maybe a "start" to a disclaimer?

By using the CBTL Swap Feature, you explicitly agree that you understand that there are no representations of any kind whatsoever made as to the veracity, condition, or true value of the services or items offered herein. This feature is strictly “use at your own risk” and relies solely on the honesty of the users. In addition, the CBTL Swap Feature will not tolerate spam nor commercial advertising and may be discontinued at any time.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 15 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southyards @ Sep 15 2009, 09:44 AM) *

Maybe a "start" to a disclaimer?

By using the CBTL Swap Feature, you explicitly agree that you understand that there are no representations of any kind whatsoever made as to the veracity, condition, or true value of the services or items offered herein. This feature is strictly “use at your own risk” and relies solely on the honesty of the users. In addition, the CBTL Swap Feature will not tolerate spam nor commercial advertising and may be discontinued at any time.

Can we sell guns?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 15 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #16

As long as they're not stolen, I don't think there would be a problem.

SSder?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 15 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 15 2009, 10:09 AM) *

As long as they're not stolen, I don't think there would be a problem.

SSder?
Alot of folks wish it were that simple, The problem is state and federal LAW requires that all firearm sale transfers are to be handled through a Federal Firearms Licence holder such as Kemph's, Maple City Sports, La Porte Sporting Goods, Blythe's, Rangemasters, Bass Pro, etc.

When I sold all my grandpa's old guns through www.gunbroker.com that's what I had to adhere to (Ol' gramps didn't need 'em anymore but we needed the dough).

Plus this is the WORLD wide web, we don't want Michigan City arming the Taliban.

I'd say firearms are a no-no.

What about Indiana sales tax? anything sold within state requires 7%.

BTW, Your stolen goods principle should apply to everything.
+Quote Post
TSNSPYDER
post Sep 23 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 76

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 14 2009, 06:10 PM) *

I forsee this being Michigan City's version of ebaymotors.com

Hopefully it won't be the equivalent of Anxious Al's.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 16 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 15 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Alot of folks wish it were that simple, The problem is state and federal LAW requires that all firearm sale transfers are to be handled through a Federal Firearms Licence holder such as Kemph's, Maple City Sports, La Porte Sporting Goods, Blythe's, Rangemasters, Bass Pro, etc.

When I sold all my grandpa's old guns through www.gunbroker.com that's what I had to adhere to (Ol' gramps didn't need 'em anymore but we needed the dough).

What about Indiana sales tax? anything sold within state requires 7%.

BTW, Your stolen goods principle should apply to everything.

Yeah, I don't think selling guns on this site is a good idea, lol.

That said, you're information isn't correct as far as all sales needing to be handled through a Federal Firearms Dealer. For Gunbroker, it's required because A: it's thier law B: you're more than likely selling across state lines. Here is the LAW:

<A href="http://www.lcav.org/content/private_sales.pdf">IPB ImagePrivate firearms transfers (i.e., transfers by non-firearms dealers) are not subject to a background check requirement in Indiana, although federal and state purchaser prohibitions still apply. Indiana Code Annotated § 35-47-2-8 specifically notes that the handgun sales regulations under Chapter 35-47-2 (i.e., the prohibited purchaser provisions) apply equally to an occasional sale, trade, or transfer between individual persons and to retail transactions between dealers and individual persons. See the Indiana Background Checks section.

Pursuant to section 35-47-2-7(a), a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon to any person under age 18, except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship, or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with section 35-47-10 (provisions relating to children and firearms).

Indiana prohibits any person from selling, giving, or in any manner transferring the ownership or possession of a handgun to another individual the transferor has reasonable cause to believe:
  • Has been convicted of a felony or adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than 23 years of age;
  • Is a drug abuser;
  • Is an alcohol abuser; or
  • Is mentally incompetent.
Section 35-47-2-7(cool.gif.

Section 35-47-2.5-14(cool.gif provides that a person is criminally liable for a Class D felony if he or she purchases a handgun with the intent to:
  • Resell or otherwise transfer the handgun to another person who the transferor knows or has reason to believe is ineligible for any reason to purchase or otherwise receive a handgun; or
  • Transport the handgun out of the state to be resold or otherwise provided to another person who the transferor knows is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive a firearm.
If a violation of section 35-47-2.5-14 involves a transfer of more than one handgun, the offense rises to a Class C felony. Section 35-47-2.5-14©.

Any person who sells, barters, gives, or delivers any deadly weapon to any person in a state of intoxication, knowing him or her to be in a state of intoxication, or to any person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and knowing him or her to be a person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, commits a Class B misdemeanor. Section 35-47-4-1.

Although section 35-47-2.5-1 specifically excludes Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns from the handgun sales requirements of Chapter 35-47-2.5, the Indiana State Police have stated that this statute became inoperative on October 1, 2003, when Indiana licenses to carry a handgun ceased being an alternative to background checks under the federal Brady Act. See the Indiana Carrying Firearms section.

The Indiana Code does not address the private sale of rifles or shotguns.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 10:24 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com