Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr. Iacona retires, After 24 years of service to MCAS
taxthedeer
post Jun 29 2011, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

WEFM reported at noon today that Dr. Iacona announced her retirement at yesterday's school board meeting from Michigan City Area Schools effective tomorrow to attend to family issues.

Thanks Dr. Iacona for all of your years of service to the students of Michigan City.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 29 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Honestly, after being passed over last year, I was surprised she stuck around as long as she did. Congratulations to Dr Iacona, and thanks for your years of service.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Jun 29 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 964

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 29 2011, 02:34 PM) *

Honestly, after being passed over last year, I was surprised she stuck around as long as she did. Congratulations to Dr Iacona, and thanks for your years of service.

Thank you Dr. Iacona.....thank you very much....
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 6 2011, 07:24 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...0d620655512.txt

Saying Farewell

Assistant MCAS superintendent retires; her secretary bids adieu, too
By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, July 1, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Not only did Assistant Superintendent Carla Iacona retire from Michigan City Area Schools, but she took her accomplished secretary with her.

OK. It wasn’t quite that way, but pretty close.

Iacona’s last day was Thursday, and it was the last day with MCAS for her secretary, Linda Yourist, as well.

It’s been 24 years for Iacona and 41⁄2 years for Yourist.

What’s more, they’re both moving: Iacona to Utah and Yourist to Lake County.

Iacona’s brother and his family live in St. George, Utah, and her sister, who is an elementary teacher in California, is “talking about an early retirement, too,” and a move back to Utah, where the family roots are.

A former Spanish teacher with an undergraduate degree from St. Mary’s College in South Bend and a master’s degree from the University of Notre Dame, she then earned a doctorate in education from Indiana University.

She taught Spanish at Notre Dame while she was earning her master’s degree, and taught in Nevada as well.

Her journey to St. Mary’s and Indiana came by way of Salt Lake City, where her sister attended a Catholic high school. The school was operated by the Congregation of the Holy Cross, the Catholic nuns who sponsor St. Mary’s College as well.

Recruited for Michigan City by Al Whitlow, who then was an administrator for MCAS and now works as executive director of the Boys & Girls Club of Michigan City, Iacona began here as principal of what then was Elston Junior High School.

“I loved it,” she said. “That was one of the most rewarding experiences of my career in education.”

Another rewarding experience was filling in as interim superintendent betweenMichael Harding and Barbara Eason-Watkins.

Was she disappointed she was not hired as superintendent?

“I work at the pleasure of the board,” she said. “(Eason-Watkins) has a lot to offer. I believe MCAS is making important progress.”

Iacona said she has worked with “some great administrators.” She mentioned Linda Anast, Jan Radford and back a few years, Dick Cook.

“And the board has been very supportive.”

When she was the interim superintendent, she was forced to deal with tricky budgetary issues, “But (State Rep.) Scott Pelath was very helpful.”

Yourist said Iacona has been a most effective teacher for her. She enjoyed working with her so thoroughly, she was willing to drive from Lake County to Michigan City every day.

“There was so much I didn’t know about education when I came,” she said. “Carla taught me everything.”

She now is looking for another secretarial job in education.

Yourist and many of the women who know Iacona have become admirers of her veritable collections of shoes, in every color, fabric and print imaginable, all in heels.

How will the collection get to Utah?

“I’ll ship it,” Iacona said.

For relaxation, Iacona reads mysteries. She and some friends started a mystery book club about 10 years ago with 14 members. Only recently did a couple leave the group when they moved out of town.

“And some friends and I have a game night once a month,” she said.

Jan Radford, MCAS director of curriculum and instruction, said she will miss Iacona — her colleague and friend.

“She always has the kids at heart,” Radford said. And she’s always committed to doing the right thing. She’s an excellent educator and a good friend.

“And I’ll miss the parade of shoes,” she quipped.

Iacona knows she was meant to be a teacher. It has been a most satisfying career, she said, adding, “It’s in my blood.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:24 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com